Thread: Naihanchi

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Naihanchi

I noticed on kenpokarate.com and on some other Tracy's Karate related sites that the Tracy system of Kenpo teaches Naihanchi I and II. In Okinawan Kempo we learn I, II, and III, and I was curious if any Tracy schools teach all three and if so whether they break the bunkai down for each?

The Naihanchi series is an important part of Okinawan Kempo and has a wealth of knowledge to share.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Naihanchi

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
    I noticed on kenpokarate.com and on some other Tracy's Karate related sites that the Tracy system of Kenpo teaches Naihanchi I and II. In Okinawan Kempo we learn I, II, and III, and I was curious if any Tracy schools teach all three and if so whether they break the bunkai down for each?

The Naihanchi series is an important part of Okinawan Kempo and has a wealth of knowledge to share.
    I don't have any knowledge of the kata in Tracy Kenpo, but the again, I'm not a Tracy Kenpo guy. I did however learn this series of kata and bunkai while studying both Shotokan and Sensei Odo's Ryukyu hon kenpo kobojutsu(Okinawan kenpo and kobudo).
    Jeff Magoni

"When pure knuckles meet pure flesh...that's pure karate" - SGM Parker

"Survival is about dominating those who threaten you. So you can't think like you're going to fight them. You have to immediately dominate or destroy them to truly survive" - Larry Wick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,256 Posts

I believe that the Tracy's have incorporated this kata into their curriculum somewhat more recently (within the last 10 yrs).

At the first GOE, they actually brought in Chosei Motobu (Choki's son) and he taught Naihanchi 1&2 (along with 12 self-defense techniques from Motobu's kumite). At that time it was questioned whether Mitose was related to Choki Motobu and Chosei stated that they were not related in anyway.

Mitose also taught the Naihanchi forms and this is probably the reason that they have added that. As far as their breakdown, I don't know how deep the study is.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for the info Punisher. I was surprised to see Naihanchi I and II listed under their material since most of the forms they do other than the Long and Short series come from Hung Gar, etc.

Sounds like the GOE was a great time. It's always nice to get together with other martial artists and share.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Hey guys,

I had heard the Tracy's learned Naihanchi I & II, Old Man Kata, and Bear Kata from Mitose. These katas were said to have come from Choki Motobu (Okinawan kempo / Shoeri-ryu). In an interview I read with Professor Emperado (the founder of Kajukembo), he stated that he learned Naihanchi I & II from Mitose as well. He also stated that at that time Mitose referred to the art as Motobu's ken/mpo.

I believe that the Tracys learned the Naihanchi's after their initial training with Parker, and that they did not include them in their regular curriculum.

I hold a 3rd black in the Traco (Tracy-Connor) system and we do not teach the Naihanchi series. However, many of the applications of Naihanchi are found in the self-defense techniques. (I should also note that I know Naihanchi and hold a 1st black in Okinawan Kempo Torite-jitsu as well.) For example, the opening move of Naihanchi I is found in Traco as "Crossing Guard" as well as other similar movements such as "Hammerlock". It has often been my speculation that Naihanchi was the root of many Mitose/Chow ken/mpo techniques.

PorterKenpo
    Last edited by PorterKenpo; 05-11-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links