Thread: Source of Shorin katas?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Source of Shorin katas?

I was curious if any of you Kosho fellows could share some information about your Shorin ryu derived katas. Who they were aquired from, why they were chosen, and if they are modified etc. I really like some of the ideas (the few I know lol). Not into politics, just mechanics. Thanks.
    He had a broom in his hand Bill.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Source of Shorin katas?

I think I partially answered my own question. Trias, Lowe, and Young?

Thanks

well by shorin ryu do you mean the pinan katas?
    as far as the pinans.....their introduction to kosho comes by way of bobby lowe who went on to study kyokushin-kai as an uchi-deshi of mas oyama. he taught these kata to thomas young, who in turn asked mitose if he could add them to the curriculum of the official self defense club.
    they are not really modified, other than the fact they are performed more smoothly than a shotokan practitioner.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thanks. I realize Mr. Juchnick has studied and researched multiple arts so I wasn't sure whose versions he decided on. As to shorin ryu katas, I was also thinking about Kushanku, passai, and naihanchi (maybe wansu/tomari). I guess these came from Mr. Trias? That will pull me in another direction lol, to Trias to Konishi/others. Its interesting to me to see the changes in stance, tempo, and signature that each teacher puts on the forms. Much appreciated.

Thanks

hanshi whole take on kata's is that they are like the physical equivalent of a book on martial arts styles systems etc. he wants kosho people to learn these kata's as a means of preserving them and teaching them to future generations of martial artists. there is a whole lot of kata's that one must learn by shodan, but i really think this helps to enhance one's martial arts education as it exposes them to a wide variety of ideas, movement, etc.

Thanks

Smile Re: Source of Shorin katas?

Hi all,

Lets hold hands and skip around the dojo, we have a place to post...

I believe this is the best thing since french kissing (basics)...

I am going to go back to the profile and fill in the boxes...

New rules and new threads lets try to be Eruidite...

Hanshi just finished a DVD that shows a new Kata he made up, I believe it is "Three Mountains" The guy is really talented...

Regards, Gary

PS: Monkey dude, I like your signature, lets see where have I read that one, LOL

Thanks

yeah gary........miyama no kata. i love that one.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Lets hold hands and skip around the dojo, we have a place to post...

I believe this is the best thing since french kissing

I'll pass on that. Like the signature huh? I understand its author was often misunderstood and occasionally ridiculed lol.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I just saw a clip at shoreidojo.com of a Kosho pinan. Liked it, smooth & loose. I can't imagine though this is the way Bobby Lowe taught them from Oyama. Where did the flow come from? I also notice the crescent stepping. Not too many shorin styles use it, I believe Hohan Soken did.
    Last edited by monkey-a-go-go; 03-05-2005 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks

the flow comes from hanshi juchnik.....one move should go into the next seamlessly, kind of like tai chi. the whole thing is to move naturally. its like when you walk, you dont take a step-stop-take a step.
    as of late the group i train with does not really do too much crescent stepping, again for the sake of moving naturally.
    usually when i practice kata i will do it both ways........hard and linear, and then smooth and loose.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Funny you mentioned tai chi as I was thinking xing yi. I tend to use a crescent step, feels good to me. It provides some groin protection and body change. Definately has its draw back too. I run forms at different tensions and tempos also. Different depths of stance too. Heresy to some I guess. I gotta be me though lol. I like what you guys do. The skeletal freezing thing looks really interesting.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

i want to say something, i have been around the kai for some time now and i think that they are one of the best bunch of people i have met in the martial arts, but i want to know one thing WHY don't you let anyone know who you are, i mean i went to see who this CAT person was and there was nothing there. and as far as H. BRUCE JUCHNIK go's we are very close and i would do anything for him, and i'm very happy to say that i'm a member of MACS.
    and one last thing with these KOSHO people there is no Bullsh#@ and thats what i like, i have been around the country with these guys and i love teaching at the camps.
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

Thanks

hey george, i think i forgot to do a profile on this site......i have one on martial talk. i have a lifetime membership in SKSKI that i got before there was a MACS. ive been studying kosho since '98 and i live just east of toronto. i only get to train with hanshi whenever there is a seminar around here (cant really afford to do the travelling thing). i used to train with shihan john mccallum, but now i train with a couple of my friends , (the Mainguy's) whenever i get the opportunity.

Thanks

Smile Re: Source of Shorin katas?

Quote Originally Posted by lonekimono10
    i want to say something, i have been around the kai for some time now and i think that they are one of the best bunch of people i have met in the martial arts, but i want to know one thing WHY don't you let anyone know who you are, i mean i went to see who this CAT person was and there was nothing there. and as far as H. BRUCE JUCHNIK go's we are very close and i would do anything for him, and i'm very happy to say that i'm a member of MACS.
    and one last thing with these KOSHO people there is no Bullsh#@ and thats what i like, i have been around the country with these guys and i love teaching at the camps.
    Hi, I was talking to Sensei Pat Kelly about your post hear, I just read it recently.

I then checked the MACS site and noticed you as an adviser etc.
    Will you be able to make the Garthering?

Regards, Gary

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links