Thread: Where should I go from here?

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Question Where should I go from here?

Currently I practice Hawaiian Kempo but I am already looking to the future for the next variation of Kempo that I will dive into once I have gotten my BB in this system.

Goju Ryu, Ueshi Ryu....it is all confusing to me! I have bought and read a book chalk full of the history and difference in each of the Okinawan styles and yet I still can not make up my mind which path to follow next.

Then I thought to myself there are a number of people on here that have learned/practiced a number of different ones. So I thought I would ask all of your opinions about which one you feel is the best compliment to the Hawaiian variation.

I do have a number of people that are BB in both my style of Hawaiian and one of the Okinawan versions, so I do already kind of have some people that I could easily learn one of them from. But I wanted all of your honest, open, and (hopefully) unbiased opinions.
    Devil Dog Mark
    Hawaiian Kempo & Okinawan Kubudo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Where should I go from here?

Black Belt is really just the beginning, instead of looking ahead to what you want to study next why stay where you are for a few degrees of Black Belt. Too many people see Black Belt as an end goal when in actuality it is just one of many milestones.

Don't focus on where you can go next focus one where you are now
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (11-04-2007),dubljay (11-03-2007),jjpregler (11-03-2007)

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Bob Broad has the right Idea, You have a lot more to learn in the style that you are in. 1st.degree Black is not the end of learning. Really it means you have learned all the basics.

I am most respectfully,
    sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    Bob Broad has the right Idea, You have a lot more to learn in the style that you are in. 1st.degree Black is not the end of learning. Really it means you have learned all the basics.

I am most respectfully,
    sifuroy
    I agree with both posts above. Black belt merely means that you are efficient with the basics of the art. Now the learning begins. Think of it as the first rung of the ladder, obtaining a black belt is simply stepping up onto that first rung. There is a long way to go. 5th Dan, or master level, normally signifies that a person has learned the entire system, at least where I come from ... but even then, the learning does not end.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Where should I go from here?

I guess I was not clear that I did not intend to quite or leave my current style at all. In fact, I was looking to start a second style at that point. Going 2-3 nights to my current style and 2-3 nights to the new style.

In our style reaching black belt does not even mean that you know all the forms or the techniques but rather that you know the basic forms and techniques. At BB is when the really fun stuff begins and you are now trusted to learn the more "advanced" techniques.

It will ALWAYS be my primary style I am sure. Especially with a Hanshi like the one we have. I just want to also broaden my knowledge beyond the one style.
    Devil Dog Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

if I was in KC I would probably go check out Oyata's Okinawan kenpo.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Devildogmrk (11-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Maybe you've already done so, but I would suggest you check with your instructor first. Be open with your current instructor as to your reasoning and intentions. If for no other reason, then out of respect. I only bring that up for the fact that where I came from, it's not that they didn't 'allow' for the study of multiple arts, but they frowned upon it. At my school, I encourage cross-training. One of the reason I left them.

Anyway, good luck ... keep training!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 14 Kempo For This Useful Post:

Devildogmrk (11-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Where should I go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    if I was in KC I would probably go check out Oyata's Okinawan kenpo.
    Thanks for the advice. I did a little research on the internet and found a resource about it. Seems like it might be something worth investigating further.
    Devil Dog Mark

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 14 Kempo View Post
    Maybe you've already done so, but I would suggest you check with your instructor first.
    Actually, my instructor is trying to learn Okinawan Kempo/Kenpo himself right now. There are a couple of people that he trains that have trained in Okinawan in their past. He is taking advantage of that fact to learn a little himself. And yes, he discourages anyone from learning a new system until they have at least gotten a black belt. Not that he would disown anyone if they were to learn a different system before that, but he does try to strongly urge people not to do it until they have gotten a thorough basis in one system first. Which I do respect and understand why he feels that way. Plus I know that if I was to stay with the current system while learning that new system he would not take offense to me learning more.

I would not ever cross-train without letting each of the instructors know that I am trying in other systems as well. But I will be careful in how I go about it, so thanks for the advice.
    Devil Dog Mark

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Devildogmrk,

You might want to look into a system that teaches kyusho-jitsu or tuite (torite) - jitsu if your current system does not. These are pressure point arts based on Traditional Chinese Medicine. This knowledge is usually adaptable to your base art, and in most cases, is not meant to replace your core style. Rather, it tends to help refine the targeting to specific acupuncture points. Many of these systems also teach qigong or energy restoration exercises - which are a nice balance if your core art is mostly external or hard. Check around first though, and get a lot of feedback on an instructor and his background to make sure he's qualified.

PorterKenpo

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PorterKenpo View Post
    Devildogmrk,

You might want to look into a system that teaches kyusho-jitsu or tuite (torite) - jitsu if your current system does not. These are pressure point arts based on Traditional Chinese Medicine. This knowledge is usually adaptable to your base art, and in most cases, is not meant to replace your core style. Rather, it tends to help refine the targeting to specific acupuncture points. Many of these systems also teach qigong or energy restoration exercises - which are a nice balance if your core art is mostly external or hard. Check around first though, and get a lot of feedback on an instructor and his background to make sure he's qualified.

PorterKenpo

I second this thought, I would suggest that you learn a "soft" system like jiu-jitsu, judo, or some other form of a grappling art. If you study a "hard" system, you need to compliment it. When trying to venture into similar systems, it can be confusing and COUNTER PRODUCTIVE, due to difference in terminology, and variances in the execution of the basics.

Think of your training in relation to the yin-yang (sp?) Symbol. Compliment your hard style art with a soft style art.

And for a biased opinion, you should study Parker kenpo .
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links