Thread: Sharp Edges

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Sharp Edges

In a another thread, a lot of the kenshi said that of the weapons they studied, one of them was the sword.

If you have the sword as a part of your syllabus,

A) Where did the techniques come from and were they in the system from the beginning (negating the first question) or did they find their way in later?

B)Do the techniques for the sword in your system perform any other function or are they just a way to swing a sharp peice of steel...?

Regards,
    Walt

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Sharp Edges

a) Although we do have inherent sword techniques they are not covered very much. Most of our sword work comes from MJER.

b) Yes. It is used to study the relationship between weapon and empty hand. Students who wish can also study MJER as a separate art.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Do they start the student off learning the weapon arts first, gakusei? I know fighting systems from the Philipines have great success teaching this way as well as some of the koryu jujutsu ryuha.

Regards,
    Walt

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kroh
    Do they start the student off learning the weapon arts first, gakusei? I know fighting systems from the Philipines have great success teaching this way as well as some of the koryu jujutsu ryuha.

Regards,
    Walt
    No, empty hands first. Training with a sword is great for ma'ai, timing, body position, etc.

Thanks

when i first started studying kempo, one of our required pieces of gear was a bokken.
    we usually spent some portion of class time studying it......as to where it came from

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Samurai carried swords obviously. So their empty hand was often based off of losing their sword. Also the principles are the same. I.e. entering, ma'ai, forward pressure etc. We use terms like stay behind your sword in empty hand.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,559 Times in 2,171 Posts

We have a number of weapons in our system but the staff is the only one we do kenpo forms with. All other weapons, including the sword and broad sword are used for kung fu forms.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

The kempo system I was a part of used the techniques of Toyama Ryu Battojutsu as an adjunct to the system. Staff techniques were also a major part of the system. Unfortunately the system never delved too deep into the kata of the sword or the staff to find that any technique with these weapons could be reapplied to the emty hand or other weapons with minor variations of range and intent. I have been working in the Kosho ryu as of late and they use a method of conceptual training so that what you can do with one instance you can do with another with minor variations. The sword method of the Kosho branch I am training with is Muso Jikeidan Eishin Ryu but many of the empty handed principles can be applied to the sword and visa versa. The staff techniques are direct translations of the principles of Kosho (nothing like walk stiking some one in the head from Sono Kamae... very funny).The indigeounous jujutsu systems of Japan used the sword as a method to base their empty hand on. The sword was a back up weapon for most of the heavy fighting in Japan and they (military class) relied heavily on it if the spear, glaive or bow was not an option. The sword came into prominance when the civil war in Japan came to an end and peace was mostly established. Dueling became a common occourance and if the sword was some how no longer an option in the fight, empty hand skills were used until another weapon could be found.

Regards,
    Walt

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links