Thread: Connection - Disconnection

Thanks

Default Connection - Disconnection

I think one of the things I read about and see people talking about the most are stances and rooting.

This is talked about in a wide variety of Martial Arts because it really is one of the most basic things to learn. Some teachers have their students hold a variety of stances for varying amounts of time .....sometimes to the point of being torturous.

During these periods they might push and prod you to try and break your concentration or balance. Sometimes they will get you to stand wrong before they show you the right way so that you can see the difference. It often takes a long time before the student develops an appreciation for the practice. I used to stand in Sanchin or Kiba Dachi for an hour meditating. After lots of practice, it becomes easy to fall into a stance and stay there, rooted, comfortably for long periods of time.

How can getting someone to stand in one position for long periods of time be beneficial for the development of something as dynamic as Martial Arts?

I think that there are a few answers to this question. Each teacher might look at the practice of holding a stance differently, but in the end, i think it's definitely something people should try.

1. Perserverance - Standing in one place isn't most people's idea of a good time. After a hard workout that stresses both mind and body, holding a stance isn't easy and it makes you dig deep to find those reserves of mental and physical power.

2. Strengthening - Believe it or not, holding a stance is a great isometric workout. When the slow twitch muscle fibres become exhausted, the fast twitch fibres come into play; you are strengthening parts of your muscle that normally wouldnt see much action, yet are the ones directly responsible for explosive movement.
    Here is a quote i came across: "dynamic training essentially increases the speed of movement against light loads, whereas isometric training essentially increases the speed of movement against high mechanical resistance." [Duchateau, J., & Hainaut, K. (1984). Isometric or dynamic training: Differential effects on mechanical properties of a human muscle. Journal of Applied Physiology, 56, 296-301.]

3. "Muscle Memory" - while I have never been a big fan of this term, the idea fits in nicely. When you do an activity for long periods of time, it becomes a part of you.....like brushing your teeth or hair, driving, or eating. You just do it. When you learn to fall into a stance that is anatomically sound and aligned, you can generate lots of power and remain stable.

So how does this tie in with Connection - Disconnection, you may ask?

Martial Arts is about movement.....plain and simple. 2 or more parties are travelling toward or away from one another trying to gain strategic and tactical advantage.
    If you see someone execute an effortless throw or knockout punch, it's usually due to a connection between the upper and lower body which allows them to generate sufficient power with minimal effort.
    So many people are concerned with executing a technique with raw speed and they miss the boat.....they are fast and flashy, but their movement lacks power because of misaligned centres and a disconnected upper and lower body.
    Stances are transitional snapshots of movements.
    For example, if someone was throwing a punch at me and i use my evasion skills, during my transition from one point to another i might fall into a Kiba Dachi, which is a solid stance for throwing a powerfully driven punch. This will only take a fraction of a second and i will be in and out of it, before my opponent has had the time to finish their punch.
    Because of the time spent developing the knowledge of that particular stance, it becomes easy to quickly connect upper and lower body for maximum efficiency and still remain highly mobile.
    If, on the other hand, I was to set myself up by stepping into a solid stance to deliver a strike, (which, by the way is what appears to happen in so many classical kata) it will take longer, possibly minimizing my time and distance........or if i was to simply hit with no alignment, i will have thrown an ineffective strike.

i will babble more on this topic soon.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Connection - Disconnection

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    Stances are transitional snapshots of movements
    Holy crap! One of the best one liners to define stances I have ever seen.

Now are you looking to write only on connection-disconnection as it applies to kamae or are you looking to include kogusoku as well.

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

The concept of connection-disconnection is just as important describing one's own movement as it is describing a someone's interaction with one or more people.

If we are talking about using atemi, there is indeed an optimal time and place to hit, but the "when" is more important than the "how", and another but....IMO, the "where" is almost as equally important as the when. All of this depends on what it is you are trying to achieve with the atemi.

When doing nage-waza, again.....the connection-disconnection principle is used for kuzushi to make the throw happen, or to make your opponent throw themselves (which for me would be the ideal).
    But again.....the "when" for application during nage would be different than the "when" for atemi.
    How long do you remain connected?
    Where do you connect?

I guess i will focus on answers to these questions in subsequent posts.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Very cool idea for a thread. I would be very interested in the continuation of this thread as it relates directly to my begining trials and tribulations in The Kosho Ryu.

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

this concept really relates to kosho ryu because of the whole aiki aspect of it. If you take a look at aikido or some kenjutsu you see a lot of the same concepts.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    this concept really relates to kosho ryu because of the whole aiki aspect of it. If you take a look at aikido or some kenjutsu you see a lot of the same concepts.
    There is a big leap between stances, atemi, nage to aiki. Nothing is selfcontained but I think moving into aiki is a topic or many to itself.

Always good to here others views. I look forward to yours.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei
    There is a big leap between stances, atemi, nage to aiki. Nothing is selfcontained but I think moving into aiki is a topic or many to itself.

Always good to here others views. I look forward to yours.
    there is if you look at it that way (which i dont). all of them need one or more of the others in order to work.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Aiki-waza really depends on all of the above that everyone has been talking about but also depends on the connection that Blackcatbonz brought up. But then again...if you disconnect is it really a "Blending" technique or an escaping one?

Good Thread Blackcatbonz
    Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

any really good martial artist is going to demonstrate some aiki skill......some will even show exceptional aiki, all without studying an aiki based art.
    why?
    Good martial arts requires you to be in tune with your opponent.
    in the beginning, a lot of martial arts will have you hit at a static opponent.......but your opponent is a dynamic, living, breathing being.

Escaping is the hardest art, IMO; my reasoning is this: it's easy to run away and move yourself away from danger, escaping is more of a strategic/tactical maneuver that you use consciously to place your opponent in a) a bad position to be attacked or b) purposely giving yourself an avenue escape
    good escaping skills require good aiki sense, which require an understanding of connection-disconnection.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links