Thread: Practical Tactical

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Practical Tactical

Hello,

I was just wondering if people here are able to train for situations in the "world" as opposed to just being barefoot and comfy all the time.

Examples would be:
    *Training in the clothes that you wear every day and carrying the stuff that you carry every day .
    *Using modern versions of the ancient weapons that you train with, such as folding knives or expandable batons.
    *Using situational training methods, such as setting up an airplane eviornment or training for the often cited bar room brawl.
    *Training with and against modern weapons such as the firearm and Taser.
    *Training in eviornmental tactics (everything around you is a weapon)

Of all of these the first is my favorite as I love kicking with boots on (especially stepping on the foot). The other thing I found interesting is Ukemi while doing this. In my last job we wore a lot of gear so doing throws and takedowns was a lot of fun (nothing like falling on top of a butt pack and two canteens...mmmm....that's good lovin'). In my current job I wear those "officer" pants that have the side pockets on the legs. One of the great benefits to these is not only do I have spaces for things like my cell phone (ukemi...ouch) and my pocket knife, but those pockets are great for carrying my pencil and pen. These are great for "pocket stick" striking and for instances where the pocket knife would be overkill.

Any takers?

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

Default Re: Practical Tactical

i think its really important for people to devote a portion of their training time to everyday related stuff.
    like having your winter boots (adds a pile of weight to your foot for kicking) and coat on.......or just wearing your streetclothes.
    sometimes it can be an eye opener when people find out how restrictive their everyday clothing is. you need to adapt to your clothes, or buy clothes that can work with you.
    when i was a club doorman, my teacher and i would do a lot of situational training......he even went as far as having another student fake barf on me with a mouthful of water...lol

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

That's cool...What I like is when you get two students working together, both wearing heavy winter jackets. It is funny to see the look on some one's face when the punch really doesn't do what they thought it would.

Another fun one is when some one manages to get in a kideny shot and they aim too low and punch the guy in his leatherman's tool. Nothing says loving like bruised knuckles.

Regards
    Walt

Thanks

so very true

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I have never worn a gi for kenpo training. Plus, as I usually train outdoors, it's always shoes and boots. I have a gi kicking around for crosstraining purposes, though. Metal buttons can be a bitch and you can get your faces scratched up by hard-soled boots fairly bad.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

We used to have a saying in the army "you train like you fight." Along with "if it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin!" I look back at these now and laugh but how true they were.

If you end up in a physical situation or problem most of the time you will be in street clothes, street shoes, cold, probably even in a coat, or shorts and a tank top for that matter. These are all part of environment considerations you should take when training!

I like this subject
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Another fun aspect of this type of training is Body Armor. When striking some one with a balistic vest you have to adjust to his gear. I do find, however, that a lot of principles that are usually ignored because of their age (How many times have you hear some jerk say, "Well when is the next time you are going to fight some one wearing armor?")

A balistic vest provides some measure of protection to the body but I found you run into the problem of it sometimes restricts what you are doing. Kevelar T-shirt is one thing, but a heavy tac-vest is another.

I used to be green (3-75...much love back at ya Hunter) so i can't speek to it but does anyone know whether or not the SWAT guys and FBI guys practice their hand to hand in Armor? I know Jim Wagner advocates it but he doesn't exactly speak for LEO's everywhere (although he is quite knowledgable).

Regards,
    Walt

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kroh
    I used to be green (3-75...much love back at ya Hunter) so i can't speek to it but does anyone know whether or not the SWAT guys and FBI guys practice their hand to hand in Armor? I know Jim Wagner advocates it but he doesn't exactly speak for LEO's everywhere (although he is quite knowledgable).

Regards,
    Walt
    Walt- 1/16th INF Big Red One baby I currently work as a law enforcement officer in a federal capacity. We a lot of us train/shoot/work out I know that my group uses their tactical gear. I have trained in a ballistic vest, with belt, polyester police pants, etc. for years. The majority of us understand and know that we won't be in danger wearing flip flops and sweat pants. I hope this helps answer your question.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Nice!

Just what I was wondering...

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

Wink Re: Practical Tactical

Hi,
    PT as it is called in the services. Is getting yourself in shape to be able to do the other stuff when you have to. I believe it is better to be in good shape and train in a controlled enviroment and try not to get hurt, so when the time comes you will be able to take care of yourself. All else is secondary.

The idea of belt buckles and brass buttons and other stuff like hitting someones leatherman is pretty silly. Most of the time I am working on bags and doing physcial exercise so I am improving, not hurting myself.

Sounds good and all, but I will stick to the gym and proper training, you pull enough muscles doing that. Look at training camps sure they are training in certain enviroments to help them, but most want to be in shape to be able to do what they practice.

Not ending up on the sick, lame and lazy team.

Regards, Gary

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I did the knuckle on the leatherman thing (i had the tool on my belt and I moved just as I was about to get hit. Training partner had to stop for a bit.) I just thought it was interesting how different things people carry with them can interfere with what some one is trying to accomplish.

One of the other things I like to play with is to use the weapons I would have access to in today's society. I would proably never be able to carry a tanto or hanbo or a naginata in today's society, but a friction lock baton (ASP) or a folding knife work just fine. Many companies out there are taking notice as martial artists find new ways to use today's tools. Surefire came out with a light that uses striking bevels to allow police officers to affect controls on a subject while not going for the kill. So the tools are being made...what are we doing to train them.

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

ive always wanted to see someone make up a kata using todays farm tools.
    maybe a chainsaw or a weed eater.
    or how about a kata that uses a framing hammer?

Thanks

Talking Re: Practical Tactical

Shawn, Now you are talking. A good California Framer in 24 oz is pretty handy or a good Sharktooth cross-cut saw, Chisels are good and so is a screwdriver. I carry a sharp carpenters Pencil where ever I go, very handy in your carpenter pants at the ready: Right side leg pocket...LOL

I think about it when I am using the various tools of the trade. My son prefers the new 5 in 1 tool that is out for the painters. Brutal piece of goods and they are legal. LOL...

Keep thinking, improvise, overcome and adapt. Semper Fi.
    Cane fits me now, not that I need it but they are handy. I will be practicing with it today. Guro Rick Faye Seminar. 11-5 same tommorrow.
    Got to run...
    Take care,

Regards, Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A Brewer
    Hi,
    PT as it is called in the services. Is getting yourself in shape to be able to do the other stuff when you have to. I believe it is better to be in good shape and train in a controlled enviroment and try not to get hurt, so when the time comes you will be able to take care of yourself. All else is secondary.

Regards, Gary
    I like this view Gary. If more people followed it there'd be fewer people dropping by the wayside.

I think it's cool that you train with a cane. I had an old friend that was very experienced with the cane and it impressed me how versatile a tool it could be. Is there a certain 'school' or style of cane work that you adhere too? Kuk Sool? Hapkido? One of the Chinese or FMA styles??
    Cool stuff. Hope you share some insights on this down the way.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links