Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Escaping Arts of Kosho Ryu

Thanks

Wink Re: Escaping Arts of Kosho Ryu

I again would like to compare the teaching to EPAK and the Universal Pattern. if you have the book I-I #4 it is the one that is concerned with the teaching of this and other parts of the pattern. A good read and something that should be read by all who do Kem/npo IMHO.

I have mentioned the origin of these arts, in my opinion is India at least in the last 2 thousand years. Or so the story goes.

I am a reader, one of the things I read when young middle and old is the book by Rudyard Kipling about the Mongoose and the snake.
    Riki Tiki was a mongoose he hunted and killed snakes. Since quite a bit of the Chinese arts go toward the animal kingdom and others also. Riki is one of my favorites.

I like to think of these drills similar to the activities of a snake and a mongoose. Give and take, when the opportunity presents it's self you make the major commitment and go for the kill. Or wait for the commitment and go for the kill.
    Just something I have thought about for probably over 55 years. Each time a new generation comes along up comes the story book and the thoughts are refreshed (book for children and finally put on video and DVD).

Some times the commitment might be to escape so these are taken as drills to escape also. Would you want to escape facing your opponet sometime, sometime not. A strike is generally not an escape it is an attack but it could be used at the discretion of the person at the time, all these drills can over lap and it is what we call 'conceptualization' or as EP called it 'spontanaity'.
    Drills are a faster way of learning, they are the backbone to many arts. We use it and Katas as I have said. Freethought is a major factor after learning the various drills and katas as you work toward higher learning.

Drills are not all the same, just like katas are not all the same. Each is for a purpose. Whether it is to gain rank or just gain knowledge. Katas are some of the mainstay in certain styles and drills are the mainstay in other styles or systems.

In Kosho the Octagon and all its working drills is one of the very basic of what we do and it is one of the most important. It takes mental discipline to listen to someone barking out commands and you doing them with precision. It is not like a kata where you start and go to the end after learning it, doing it over and over.

This drill changes in a moments notice and causing (you) the person responding to respond correctly and quickly, then return to the center to await the next command. Elementary and taught early.

Regards, Gary

Thanks

Default Re: Escaping Arts of Kosho Ryu

i always felt like kosho is built on the foundation of the basic octagon pattern.
    if you dont study it and practice it.....you sort of miss the boat and cant see what is happening.
    by understanding the escaping pattern you can look at something and say,"oh, i see why he is doing that".

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Blackcatbonz, earlier in the thread you had mentioned possibly doing an animated GIF of you jumping the octagon, any luck with that ?

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

i should have something up just after the new year.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Could you explain how to perform a 2 person 3/8 drill?

_don

Thanks

i know i said i would have something up ages ago........it has been a bit of a crazy year for me.
    Give me 2 weeks and i will post a vid........i will post a breakdown of it this weekend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links