Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Escaping Arts of Kosho Ryu

Thanks

Default Re: Escaping Arts of Kosho Ryu

the basic box jumping pattern is on page 163, there is also a pattern on 166 that includes 90 and 180 degree pivots.

Thanks

here is a gif that demonstrates the various jumping patterns.
    box, zig zag, triangle, straight line.

jumping1.gif

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    here is a gif that demonstrates the various jumping patterns.
    box, zig zag, triangle, straight line.

jumping1.gif
    It's similar but not quite the same.

The Ryukai sqaure movement exercise is in three steps. The first starts with shuffles to each end, as we've discussed.

From there, we move into the center north border of the box. Shuffle to the NE corner, then pivot 90 degrees. You are now facing the inside of the box on the East border. Shuffle South along to the SE corner, then pivot 90 degrees so that you are facing away from the center on the South border of the box. Shuffle to the SW corner, pivit to face toward the center on the left side, then shuffle to the NW corner and pivot to face away from center standing at the North side. You are now where you started. Go the other way around.

Now, sink and jump back. You are attemping to gain as little height as possible while raising your knees you your chesh and remaining upright. Land in the center, sink and stand/jump clockwise, then counterclockwise in each direction, returning to the center.

Triangular, circular, ground and air taisabaki drills come next, followed by kata, in the traditional routine.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

the basic box jumping pattern is on page 163, there is also a pattern on 166 that includes 90 and 180 degree pivots.
    After extensive googling I could not find even a single page of this book or a picture of its cover, so for comparison's sake I'm SOL.

Thanks

these particular jumping patterns are done with the feet together.......but they are also done with a sort of shuffling movement as well......similar to what a boxer does.

it would be interesting to get together sometime and compare notes!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

BlackCat Love the animation(again)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    After extensive googling I could not find even a single page of this book or a picture of its cover, so for comparison's sake I'm SOL.
    its a very rare book.....and the actual pictures and descriptions leave a bit to be desired.....especially for the "uninitiated".
    so while i may reference a page or 2 out of it......i doubt many people have even seen between the covers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Kai
    BlackCat Love the animation(again)
    thanks dude!

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

its a very rare book.....and the actual pictures and descriptions leave a bit to be desired.....especially for the "uninitiated".
    so while i may reference a page or 2 out of it......i doubt many people have even seen between the covers.
    I don't suppose I could get a table of contents, or paraphrased bits of the text -- or even filmclips of techniques, could I? The Kosho stuff online is very, very sparse.

Thanks

im going to try and make a gif of me doing the escaping patterns. this will make things a bit easier to understand.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

We all look forward to the clips.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

I look forward to you teaching me how to make graphics like those....
    VERY nice, helps us visual learners.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

Wink Re: Escaping Arts of Kosho Ryu

Good stuff Shawn,

I personally like the 9 pointed star system. It is something I do and others in Kosho don't. Follow the leader is the best advise in most systems. But since I am older and do quite a bit of freethought (martial arts and life).

I have chosen the 9 points of a star. 3 triangles put into equal configuration. If you place the point away from you, then behind you, will be a different angle and not just a retreat (as in straight back).

Works for me. I believe the straight back step has to much potential for trouble. Straight forward is one thing but not good in escaping.

Just my thoughts on it.

Regards, Gary

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Eyebeams, any shot of any online information of Ryukai Kenpo?

Blackcatbonz, the gif files are great. I am recomending you for a golden keyboard award.

Regards,
    Walt

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kroh
    Eyebeams, any shot of any online information of Ryukai Kenpo?
    Unfortunately, there's just an LJ I keep myself to try and reconstruct missing elements (http://www.livejournal.com/users/kenpofragments/) and a webpage belonging to a guy who washed out as a seigansha (petitioner), read some books, fibbed a bit, took some seminars on the side and then decided to teach martial arts (http://www.geocities.com/andrewdodd.rm/index2.html).

Andrew is not, for instance, conversant in any of the kata and AFAIK, was never even told they existed. I suppose he could teach inasmuch that Kyoshi Rick Delaney said that he didn't care any more, but as far as I know he and a former student who lives in FLA are the only ones who are conversant in the entire system, and that only "graduated" students such as myself are authorized to teach seigansha concepts (up to Kennin Kata, the Eiki-Gainen and the Shihangata sets in terms of routines). The last two remaining kata (Bassai and Empi/Wanshu) are a part of the Shorin-ryu karate lineage, though, so one of my long term plans is to learn those.

Unfortunately, I've been out of touch with Kyoshi (who no longer teaches anyone, as far as I know) and fellow gakusei for years now, as I moved out of Toronto, so until I get my notes together and create a proper resource (which I plan to do for my stepson, who is currently my sole student), this is all that's around.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Kai
    My teacher was not a big fan of ever giving your opponent your back, maybe that was just him-or he had a bad experience.

Angles 3 and 4 you would have to go with a back kick, since you are completely turned away.
    Kai,
    I am curious as to your questions, since you were at one time a student of the Kosho arts (I thought).

If you were to turn to 3 you are now facing 1 if you were to turn to 4 you are now facing 1. It is a continuation of the original positon of center for the use of the legs and arms and feet in a drill. This is not a kata where you are going around and simulating attackers to your right left front and rear. This is a drill where you step and return step and return.

If I turned and did a 180 to the rear position of 2, I would now be facing to 1, and I would go back to center. Which is the ninth position where in the 9 pointed star you actually have 10 positions.

This is something that is similar but not exactly like the clock work in other systems.

Your question about which other systems use this or something similar, is the major amount of Filipino systems do. One of the reasons I like the 9 pointed star is, it is comprised of triangles, the octagon is triangle also when you are the ninth position.

There are numerous drills and this is just one.

Because Kajukenbo has quite a bit of Filipino arts it is very close to this in the repetitive steps and continuous strikes and such.

As to where did it come from, probably India by way of China. Or if you would like to go towards a history lesson it depends on who's history we are talking about.

I think the universal pattern that comes out of EPAK is pretty much the best of them all. Where did he get that? Now that is good for quite a bit of discussion, but alas not here.

Regards, Gary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A Brewer

If you were to turn to 3 you are now facing 1 if you were to turn to 4 you are now facing 1. It is a continuation of the original positon of center for the use of the legs and arms and feet in a drill. This is not a kata where you are going around and simulating attackers to your right left front and rear. This is a drill where you step and return step and return.

If I turned and did a 180 to the rear position of 2, I would now be facing to 1, and I would go back to center.

I think the universal pattern that comes out of EPAK is pretty much the best of them all. Where did he get that? Now that is good for quite a bit of discussion, but alas not here.

Regards, Gary
    Hey Gary,
    you bring up some great points. the octagon doesnt have to be looked at as something static that just sits on the floor while you jump around it.
    it is dynamic. the best way to see this is with 2 people. maybe i can make a short gif or mpeg demonstrating it.
    the key to understanding the dynamic octagon lies in understanding the escaping patterns.

Thanks

Wink Re: Escaping Arts of Kosho Ryu

Shawn,

That is a very good idea, I really liked your other gif stuff. I think you have done something very well, for the ability to explain and better understand the arts we are talking about. I will probably see Hanshi this week and I will tell him about it. I am sure he will be appreciative.

One thing persons seem to forget is Mitose brought this to the mainland because he first brought it to Hawaii. Taught it and then others took it and complimented it.

After posting earlier I went and looked at the Infinite Insight book #4 of EPAK. Much of this is in that book and more. It is understandably more complex but in essence it is the same since Mitose had many drills that encompassed what was put all into one neat package by Ed Parker in the middle 80's.

Looking forward to your application.

Regards, Gary

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A Brewer
    Kai,
    I am curious as to your questions, since you were at one time a student of the Kosho arts (I thought).

If I turned and did a 180 to the rear position of 2, I would now be facing to 1, and I would go back to center. Which is the ninth position where in the 9 pointed star you actually have 10 positions.

This is something that is similar but not exactly like the clock work in other systems.

Your question about which other systems use this or something similar, is the major amount of Filipino systems do. One of the reasons I like the 9 pointed star is, it is comprised of triangles, the octagon is triangle also when you are the ninth position.

There are numerous drills and this is just one.

Because Kajukenbo has quite a bit of Filipino arts it is very close to this in the repetitive steps and continuous strikes and such.

As to where did it come from, probably India by way of China. Or if you would like to go towards a history lesson it depends on who's history we are talking about.

Regards, Gary
    Actually the way the Octogon was presented here (and taught to me for that matter) had you turning your back to the attacker

Thanks

you're not always in a position of facing your attacker......so you have to use the tools available.
    it's just a drill....whether you use it or not is up to you.
    but if you're escaping, i hope you're not running away backwards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links