Thread: Japanese Yoga

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Japanese Yoga

Perhaps some of you Kosho guys can help me out. I have been studying some yoga of late, and I really am enjoying the workouts and the benefits of such.

Mitose mentioned Japanese yoga in his book, and it is listed as one of the 8 aspects of kenpo in "In Search of Kenpo" which was compiled by Arnold Golub.

So, what is Japanese Yoga? What differentiates it from other yoga, if anything?

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Japanese Yoga

I'm not familiar with "Japanese Yoga," but the I Chin Ching exercises of Shaolin Kung Fu are sometimes referred to as "Chinese Yoga." There are actually many I Chin Ching sets though. While some are more or less qigong sets, others are closer to yoga crossed with dynamic tension exercises.

Thanks

From what I understand, Japanese Goju Ryu's Gogen Yamaguchi was also extensively practiced yoga and in goju's sanchin exercises as well as others there is a vast amount of dynamic tension exercises and drills. Perhaps (only speculation) Mitose is referencing this japanese flavor of traditional yoga?
    "If a person prefers to do something another way, and he is happy with his results, no one can tell him he's wrong" Ed Parker, as quoted by Doc

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

It could very well be the case. My research thus far seems to suggest that yoga is a concept that is embedded in the curriculum. I have uncovered quite a bit of information regarding the principles of japanese yoga, and very little regarding actual exercises beyond simple stretching. Most of the principles are related to structure, posture, and breathing. Traditional japanese karate adepts move in a way that exemplifies the concepts that I have read about, but do not seem to have ever been exposed to japanese yoga as any sort of separate set of part of the curriculum they have studied.

It leads me to believe that men like Yamaguchi may have built their style around structural principles related to what they knew from their study of yoga, without ever teaching yoga, if that makes sense.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links