Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ego In the Martial Arts

Thanks

Angry Ego In the Martial Arts

Im sure that many people out there that go to various seminars and workshops for martial arts have had the pleasure of meeting people with HUGE egos.

One of the things that I find quite funny are the people that demand respect from other people outside the martial arts community.
    They seem to think having a high belt rank means that everyone else should step aside or take notice when they enter a room. I call these people type 1 martial artists.

Type 2 are the snobby traditionalists. They think that anything developed by someone or after a certain period that does not come from a particular country of said arts origin is a complete load of bull.
    how can it be effective? a japanese, okinawan or chinese guy didnt come up with that?

Type 3 would be a combination of type 1 and 2. probably the worst kind of ego.
    My personal belief is that a martial artist should stand for something a bit more. They should be the ones holding the door open, or helping someone cross the street, all the while remaining humble and respectful.
    that doesnt mean that someone should lay down and eat a crap sandwich, being a martial artist should give one the confidence to stand up for themselves, when the need arises.

Learning martial arts is learning the gift to give. If you have experience and knowledge, it is yours to hand out to people, should they want it or need it. It's not about putting someone down for what they dont know or what they should know.

While i am a big believer in tradtion in the martial arts, i also believe that there are exceptional personalities out there that were and are capable of "creating" something of their own. These people also tend to be the ones that have studied multiple styles and either are very proficient, or have achieved a level that is both recognised by their teachers and their peers.

If you have a gift to give.........then give freely. I cant think of anything that makes me happier when i am able to give something to someone else.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Ego In the Martial Arts

having people on the street call you Sensei=ridiculus, same thing when out at a bar with your students

I always wanted to be a "cool" karate guy, then onw night a a nightclub after a tourny a bunch od karateka got up and did kata to the music

Thanks

hahahaha

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,156 Posts

Why is it that the names that we remember, died humble old men?
    Miyamoto Musashi, 61
    Gichin Funakoshi, 89
    Jigoro Kano
    Ueshiba Morihei, 86
    Ed Parker

I've read many stories of them, and don't recall any about them throwing their weight around, demanding attention/respect/perks due to status, etc. Why is it that so many others today, seem to need that same validation? That they must demand to be seen as a "master".

True mastery is not belts, paper, or rank. The master who is, is not the master who shines.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard
    Miyamoto Musashi, 61
    Gichin Funakoshi, 89
    Jigoro Kano
    Ueshiba Morihei, 86
    Ed Parker

I've read many stories of them, and don't recall any about them throwing their weight around, demanding attention/respect/perks due to status, etc. Why is it that so many others today, seem to need that same validation? That they must demand to be seen as a "master".

True mastery is not belts, paper, or rank. The master who is, is not the master who shines.
    these guys gained respect from their fighting ability, and their ability to teach.
    i dont believe that they were without their faults, musashi has many duels to the death, ueshiba was a dojo buster, but they just did their thing and you were welcome to come along for the ride if you could keep up.

Thanks

What was the KKAA?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Kenpo karate Association of America??

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Post Re: Ego In the Martial Arts

Quote Originally Posted by The Kai
    Kenpo karate Association of America??
    Yes, according to Mr. Parker's book Infinite Insights into Kenpo (Vol. 1), before his association spread overseas (IKKA), it was the Kenpo Karate Association of America (KKAA).
    Miyamoto Musashi, 61
    Gichin Funakoshi, 89
    Jigoro Kano
    Ueshiba Morihei, 86
    Ed Parker, 59

I've read many stories of them, and don't recall any about them throwing their weight around, demanding attention/respect/perks due to status, etc. Why is it that so many others today, seem to need that same validation? That they must demand to be seen as a "master."
    Good question. Insecurity, perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    My personal belief is that a martial artist should stand for something a bit more. They should be the ones holding the door open, or helping someone cross the street, all the while remaining humble and respectful.
    You're not the only one who feels that way.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Miyamoto Musashi, 61
    Gichin Funakoshi, 89
    Jigoro Kano
    Ueshiba Morihei, 86
    Ed Parker
    Good call.
    The Empty can rattles the MOST!!!

The real masters don't seek respect, they've earned it and get it. When someone doesn't know "who they are", they're almost relieved....because they don't have any preconceived notions to live up to or deal with....they can just be themselves.

It's a telling thing, I think that THE "Senior Grandmaster" was often quoted as saying
    ..."Just call me Ed."
    I like that.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

does anyone have any stories they can share without naming names?
    i would bet that some are hilarious.

Thanks

Of egomaniacs?
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

yeah........something along the lines of what Todd mentioned, wanting to be called sensei outside of the dojo, huge displays of attitude, etc.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I'll name names.
    My instructor, Dennis Conatser gets real irritated when his Senior students introduce him as Professor Conatser. Anyone that has met him knows he is a veritable trove of information, and anyone that has seen him move knows he is phenomenal. He always says, "Mr. C is fine." when dealing with MAist. When dealing with none MAist, he says "My name is Dennis, it's good to meet you."
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    does anyone have any stories they can share without naming names?
    i would bet that some are hilarious.
    I know names and stories
    BUT:
    A: Telling them wouldn't do anyone any good, just kick bee-hives.
    B: They're not funny. Pretty sad or aggravating, but nothing hilarious.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

The guys who introduce themselves as "master", "grandmaster" "soke", etc.
    The guys who insist that their bags be carried, doors opened, and red carpets rolled out.
    The ones who use their 'art' title everywhere.

They (and we) know who they are.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

They (and we) know who they are.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks

...how about the guy who has to change his gi for every sesion at a camp...?
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Maybe he's just a sweaty guy,LOL

Thanks

I believe you should be as clean an sanitary as possible since you are in close contact and such.

Supposedly Roberto Duran the famous fighter did not bath for a week before a fight he was always pushing his head (sweaty dirty) into the fighters face. He felt it gave him an advantage. I am not sure the story is correct, but I have heard it in the past. Quite a few of the good grapplers use a lot of garlic I have noticed at the dojo, it is very apparent if it is new or old...

I usually work up a very good sweat, I will even change at seminars mid-day. Most of what I do anymore is not gi related it is sweats and long sleeve shirts. I prefer to workout in what I am most likly to be wearing in case of an altercation. But I usually am barefooted, I believe it is the best way to train your leg muscles and feet to be there strongest.

Martial art shoes are fine, but most of the time I would prefer to be barefoot or in a set of tight moccasin's.... Try it, you will like it. You will notice how tired your feet are at first since wearing shoes does not let your feet work like they should to support and move correctly.

Regards, Gary

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I find false modesty as irritating as egotism, because it's just another form of egotism. I also think the role of humility is overstated in martial arts culture, because the "ego" in egotism is confused with the "ego" as a English translation for the form of self-awareness that distracts someone from reaching mushin. In fact, many martial artists on the list above had quite forceful personalities. Some only appeared humble because of the cultural divide preventing us from seeing what their actions really meant.

The other thing that irritates me is when people from other lineages claim I owe this or that guy face solely because of rank, despite the fact that I don't have any connection to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links