Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ego In the Martial Arts

Thanks

Default Re: Ego In the Martial Arts

I must be blessed. I've not run into many martial artists who have that kind of ego problem.

I do know one who, though he talks a lot about respecting other systems, will also turn around and tell you that nothing and no one can touch American Kenpo (I do AK, and I've been whupped enough to know that this is not so). He especially doesn't like TKD. I used that attitude against him once- he was nailing me hard with a move that I was having a lot of trouble picking up. I complimented him on the move, and told him it was exactly like one that a senior TKD person I used to work with a lot (who he really didn't like either) used. He never used it on me again!

I think one reason the attitude is less prevalent is that most seriouse martial artists are taking it to the mat with other stylists. One thing about the mat, you have to leave your ego at the edge if you don't want it bruised.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

" It is always better to improve and strengthen your own line or knowledge than to try and cut your opponent's line". Mr. Parker speaking to Mr. Joe Hyams in 1950's, from Mr. Hyams' book, Zen in the Martial Arts.

EKP RIP
    Big Pat

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

People like that have not discovered "The Dragon." The spirit of the dragon is more than just being able to walk away from a fight. The reason one is able to do that is because they have good self esteem. Because they know they could win the fight, they have nothing to prove.

This confidence will naturally bleed over into your day-to-day life. If you're truely confident and "know the dragon", it will show. When you no longer feel the need to prove yourself life ceases to be a competition. Your most challenging opponent then becomes yourself because the goal is to constantly strive for self improvement. I believe this characteristic is what sets true martial artist apart.

The people you're refering to lack self esteem. They need constant reminders to battle their self doubt. They need to be told constantly how great they are and how great their skills are. It's kind of sad if you think about it. I feel sorry for them. =*(
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Often when a person has an air of confidence it can be mistaken as ego and it can damage their reputation and taht is not right. But when you get a true ego-maniac and they put themselves out there way beyond those who gave the knowledge then they hurt everyone they come on contact with.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links