Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octagon

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Octagon

Hi,
    Who hear has heard of dog octagon, monkey octagon, frog octagon,
    bird octagon. I hosted pat kelly sensei and he went over this infomation with us. I never heard of this before and was blown away from the drill and the info he passed on to us. it was shown during the Black belt only training that weekend. I will also he having him out again soon.
    Kosho

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Octagon

The different Octagons where taught by Hanshi to teach certains concepts and movement within in Kosho. there are upwards of 20 octagon drills. the Bird and Frog octagons relate to Kigan and Kaishu while the dog octagon has to do with Hoken. The Octagons are not animal movements as one would see in Wushu systems. Hope this helps. Also any the Kosho Summit will be may 5th and 6th in Lake George, it will be a great learning experience.

George

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

george,
    Thanks just seeing what other have heard of this pat kelly sensei went into great f=detail on this and showed me many this to work with over that weekend. sorry you missed it. Will you be haveing any seminars in CT soon if so please let me know. so myself and some of my students can come down to surport the event. i am trying to get coverage for the NY event. its also my little ones 6 year olds birthday.
    so maybe i will see ya there.
    Kosho

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Hi Steve the octagon work is very, very, important. Those where all the classroom drills that Hanshi Juchnik used to have all the students learn. Most just believe there is the escaping octagon and Front and back stance octagon drills,but there is alot more. I will be having Kyoshi Kelly in October or November of this year. Hanshi will be at the school May 26th and 27th, you are more than welcome to come. New York is going to be a blast, hope you and John Evans can make it.

George

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I will be coming to NEW YORK on may 5th weekend. Really looking forward to this. Also let me know about Pat kelly Sensei seminar. I will bring some of my students to this maybe I can get the same offer i gave to you for this???
    also how much is the hanshi seminar and what is he going to cover??
    I might be able to come to this also...
    Kosho

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kosho View Post
    I will be coming to NEW YORK on may 5th weekend. Really looking forward to this. Also let me know about Pat kelly Sensei seminar. I will bring some of my students to this maybe I can get the same offer i gave to you for this???
    also how much is the hanshi seminar and what is he going to cover??
    I might be able to come to this also...
    Kosho
    Maybe one of you would like to put this information up in the Event thread so other people can see it?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Steve, good to hear you are coming to Lake George, you won't be disappointed. Hanshi's Seminar is $100.00 for both days and he will cover whatever he feels like at that moment Hopefully you an come and if you are ever in CT stop by and say hi.

George

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I will check my date book and If i am free i will come down I love hanshi seminars. I will see about bring some students with me also. BUT make sure you let me know about the pat kelly seminar also......
    see ya in a couple of weeks.
    Kosho

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Steve i will tell you about the Pat Kelly Seminar as the date gets closer. As far as the octagons which ones do you work in class.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

3/8 drill / front and back stance / and the hoping from 1 angle to the other. if you have any others PLEASE help me and let me know... maybe some time i can come down some saturday and you and I could get together and you can share some of the info you have... I have been with master evans about 3 years now training in kosho and there is a TON i still need to learn from hanshi, Pat kelly you and others. VERY hungry to learn and grow.
    kosho

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

The first year we start the student off on front and back stance and then do the revrese and combine them. then in the second year we go to the escaping octagon, prayer hands strikes and the redirection octagon. After that the 3/8's drills and hitting or checking octagon. Then you add the monkey, frog, dog, and bird in their also their is box and triangles as well.

hope this helps

George

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thank you,

Kosho

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I think I remember Hanshi refering to the different animal approaches at Deshi 2 - if not it may have been on one of the DVDs in the Journey Series. The only octagon patterns I have worked are front stance, back stance, escaping, prayer hands strikes, redirection, 3/8 drill, hoken striking, kaishu checking, & frog. I have also worked forward, backwards, both sides, box pattern, triangle, & zig zag.

I have not worked the other animal patterns but the dog octagon looked to me like what I call the hoken striking octagon and the deer octagon looked like what I call prayer hands striking octagon and monkey looks very much like the grab portion of the 3/8 drill. I am going to be starting private lessons with George in a few weeks and I'm sure he'll let me know more about the animal octagons.

_Don Flatt

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Donn,
    glad to here you are taking on a full time instructor. ( YOU are in GREAT hands with george). look forward to training with you in the furture. Maybe I will see you in the end of may when Hanshi is in CT.
    steve

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

It's real difficult working independently with only trickles of partner work at a few seminars and whenever I can con someone into punching in on me. Hopefully, George and I can coordinate on a regular basis - he's the closest instructor to me, only 1 1/2 hours of driving away. I did have one 4 hour private with Tony DiSaro - he's excellent and I plan on taking more with him too but he's an hour further than George.

_Don Flatt

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Donn,
    will you be going to the hanshi Seminar at george's Dojo at the end of May? I will be trying to come to this and hopfully I will be abl;e to come with a few students...
    Kosho

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I look forward to seeing you and playing with you and your students.

_Don

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I look forward to seeing you and playing with you and your students.

Don, I look forward to Training with you, But you will not be Playing with me or my students.
    Kosho

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Hi Steven

Look forward to seeing you at Hanshi's seminar, call me for the times and prices. Are you upset by Don's use of "playing" i have a hard time figureing out peoples emotions through typed corrspondence. Becuse if so Don's description fit in nicely with the way alot of styles describe there training, tai-chi, Brazialian Jujutsu and so on. Don't want to rankle any feathers just thought i would add 2 cents.

George

p.s. excuse the spelling

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

NO, No, I have worked with Donn a few times I like him and his love for the martial arts. I like giving him a hard time when I can... LOL thats all. I will call you around 4:30 pm today to talk about hanshi weekend. I talked with Hanshi last night.

I know hanshi words are lets go play

Kosho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links