Thread: Kosho Ryu Kempo Hand Postures

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Kosho Ryu Kempo Hand Postures

A discussion on the EPAK forums about closed hand and open hand blocking inspired me to start this one.

I'd like to hear from the rest of you as far as lessons and techniques from the various postures of Kosho Ryu - then I'll put my own two cents in after we hear from some of you.

_Don Flatt

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kosho Ryu Kempo Hand Postures

Very rarely does Kosho do a hard block. It is more receive and/or redirecting. Hard blocks are treated as an attacks. I would attack the arm, shoulder, or other target.
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Agreed.

Let me clarify. The Kosho hand postures; Kigan, Hoken, & Kaishu reveal limitations to your anatomy. What have your studies of the hand postures taught you about movement and your anatomy?

_Don Flatt

Thanks

Could you describe ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosho Gakkusei View Post
    Kigan, Hoken, & Kaishu
    I'm looking forward to your discussion on the questions, but understanding the terms would help me follow what you say.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    Could you describe ...I'm looking forward to your discussion on the questions, but understanding the terms would help me follow what you say.

Dan C
    KIGAN (PRAYING HANDS)

1st Representation - The right hand (representing the physical) and the left hand (representing the spiritual) are plaved together for peace and avoidance of conflict.
    2nd Representation - Escaping Arts
    3rd Representation - Skeletal Strikes

KAISHU (OPEN HANDS)

1st Represemtation - The right hand and left hand are placed together in the shape of a mountain. Look for the good in man as you would see in a mountain, without nit picking flaws and imperfections.
    2nd Represemtation - Folding Arts
    3rd Represemtation - Internal Strikes

HOKEN (COVERED FIST)

1st Represemtation - The right hand (physical) is covered by the left hand (spiritual). One should temper his/her actions with morality, avoid conflict, and hide his/her weapons.
    2nd Representation - Muscular Strikes
    3rd Representation - Total Domination
    More Shugyo!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gakusei For This Useful Post:

thedan (04-12-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Agreed.

Let me clarify. The Kosho hand postures; Kigan, Hoken, & Kaishu reveal limitations to your anatomy. What have your studies of the hand postures taught you about movement and your anatomy?

_Don Flatt
    We use these as a salute. They represent aspects of training. But, I have not applied them directly to movement.
    More Shugyo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei View Post
    KIGAN (PRAYING HANDS)

1st Representation - The right hand (representing the physical) and the left hand (representing the spiritual) are plaved together for peace and avoidance of conflict.

KAISHU (OPEN HANDS)

1st Represemtation - The right hand and left hand are placed together in the shape of a mountain. Look for the good in man as you would see in a mountain, without nit picking flaws and imperfections.

HOKEN (COVERED FIST)

1st Represemtation - The right hand (physical) is covered by the left hand (spiritual). One should temper his/her actions with morality, avoid conflict, and hide his/her weapons.
    Sounds a little familiar. I never really studied these postures before, other than the write ups on our salute. Should be an informative thread.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei View Post
    KIGAN (PRAYING HANDS)

KAISHU (OPEN HANDS)

HOKEN (COVERED FIST)

Gakusei - where do you study?

I'm still waiting to see what some other students of Kosho will have to share so I will refrain from sharing too much. I will however give some hints as well as share some suggestions on how to come to your own conclusions.

In my view the 1st representation is about spiritual aspects of the study of Kosho. The 2nd representation is physical. The 3rd is representative of mental approaches.

Each of those hand postures causes your anatomy to be ideally positioned to accomplish the 2nd representation. Note Mitose did not call them hand positions but rather - postures. This is not just because english was his second language but because they are just that postures of engagement. Matter of fact, in all of Mitose's books, he would suggest different "hand" postures depending on the nature of the attacker or the intent of the defense.

To experiment with this, stand in a ready position (natural stance, upper arms resting on your body elbow bent at 135 degrees, hands in fists, wrists rotated 45 degrees) and circle arms outward above your head and form a triangle with your hands (index fingers touching and thumbs touching). Collapse your body and hands into Kigan - praying position and pull them so that fingertips are just below your nose. Note: do not condense your arms and literall pull your hands to your face - your upper arms should rest on your body and your elbows will be bent at a 45. You should also end up in a Sono Kamae - priest/old man posture - knees bent upper body hunched forward. Rotate your elbows outward to form Kaishu - open hands posture. Last, roll your wrists to form Hoken - covered fist posture. Then you can return to ready positon.

As you perform the above experiment allow each movement to happen naturally and free of tension. Perform all movements slowly and breathe naturally. You could almost make it like Tai Chi. Once you are able to do this in a relaxed and comfortable manner, observe where the weight is in your body as you go through each posture, which direction you will go most naturally, where tension exists, what type of strikes occur most naturally, and how mobile you are, how far you can move, and which type of movement are you most suited to make.

Have Fun!

_Don Flatt

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Gakusei - where do you study?
    We are not under the SKSKI anymore; but, still see Jeff Driscoll once in a while. We were at the East Coast Gathering in Pottsville last August.
    More Shugyo!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links