Thread: Brotherly Love

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Brotherly Love

On Sunday I took my kids to visit their Grandmother. My youngest brother who is 17 who doesn't really know much about what martial art I practice asked me to show him some boxing or something to defend himself.

I showed him a few blocks and how to properly apply them translating them into counters, dealing with secondary attacks, and translating them into throws. The basic idea I conveyed was the blocks are for setting up the opponent not as much for preventing an attack from connecting.

To drive the point home I said, "If all I want to do is keep from getting hit, I don't need to block." He said, "What?" I said punch me and used the escaping arts. My brother said, "Cool!" Then for about 5 minutes straight he tried to hit me and I used mostly no touch defense.

I say mostly because at the end one punch barely glanced my shoulder and then I slapped his attacking limb. Next punch I stepped to angle 3 but left my right hand. When he punched again I returned to where I came from locking his skeletal structure. When he tried to move I ended up with a throw and my brother ended up very muddy and said, "OK, I've had enough."

The experience made me appreciate what I've learned from Kosho.

_Don Flatt

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Brotherly Love

sounds like you had some fun. Speaking of brotherly love I and Master Evans had Pat Kelly Sensei out this weekend friday - sunday. It was work, work, work. no breaks, and maybe 5% talking. He left that stuff for dinner and the rides back to the hotel. We will be trying to get him out again from Calf: before the year is out. also Going to Talk with Hanshi and see if we can set something up for him also to come out. there was a great turn out. people from KY, MA, RI, NH, NY, all come to this. the Info and what he showed us was truly WOW. If anyone evr gets a chane to work with or go to a Seminar with Pat Kelly Sensei to see what Kosho and he is about. you must go. he truly has NO EGO and is just trying to share the Martial arts.
    Kosho

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Brotherly Love

Pretty much described my experiences with Pat Kelly as well. Steve let me know about the next time he's coming.

_Don Flatt

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Brotherly Love

Talking with him about coming out again this year some time. also trying to get Hanshi out to my Dojo also this year.
    kosho

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links