Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kempo Assault!

Thanks

Default Re: Kempo Assault!

Quote Originally Posted by kroh View Post
    How often do you get to use the manuevers that you're practicing with a resisting partner (ie. some one trying to take your head off?)? One of the things I have been finding is that a lot of the kosho subtlties are taking me a long time to train and that I am either having to revert to my jkd or kali training to get the job done with a resisting opponent. I see where the Kosho is supposed to be taking me but I am just not there yet.

Regards,
    Walt
    Walt, one of the things I do when I train is to have my training partner try and hit me.......weird concept, I know. If I don't move, I'm getting my clock cleaned.....and yes, it's happened on several occasions.
    Danger will force you to act, or it will freeze you.
    If you want to make sure you're escaping a punch, tell your partner to try and punch you in the head.......you will soon know if you got out of the way in time.
    Now, getting out of the way does not mean that movement has to be exagerrated to get the job done.
    For example.......Let's talk about "Always move twice, go back to where you were last"
    Lately it seems as if this principle has been reduced to "always move more than once"......ok, but the former makes more sense to me over the latter.
    Your antagonizer decides to give you a punch to the face (hello!?), by catching you off your guard (no such thing). We have limited space, so instead of trying to get right out the way with some overt tai-sabaki, let's reduce the movement to barely perceptible (being there, but not).
    You move to the right or left, letting the punch slip past and immediately you move back to where you were last.
    What happened to angry dude throwing the punch?
    He was put in a position the moved him slightly off balance, not overtly, but enough for you to lead the dance.
    the trick is to capitalise on your position right away.
    One of the things i notice hanshi do is to not let you regain your footing once he has taken it; everytime you move is another attempt at trying to regain control.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Cool concept... I have a lot of work to do ;-)

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

I hope I'm making the least bit of sense.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

One thing thats working for me to understand things is the balance between structure and weakness.
    a drill I work with my students. have the person get in a strong stance and then throw a punch . ( slowly) as the person is moveing there is strong and weak parts of the body. by doing this drill slow and working to find the angle of this movement you will start to see strong and weak areas, so when you build this drill up fasters and faster the movements start to become clear. the best way to learn somthing is to do it slow and work from there. Hope this makes sence.
    for my self my teacher has broken down what hanshi has tought him for this ONE part of Kosho Kempo and he calls this drill and what it teaches are DOTS and the body is full of them. its understanding when and where to apply them. I keep telling my teacher to make a DVD on this. If he does it will truly help out people to understand this.
    kosho

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Big fan of the crawl, walk, run theory of teaching (which helps as that is what the army uses).

Thanks guys...Keep the convo going!
    Regards,
    Walt

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Don,
    So How was the 3 days in NH. with master Evans and Hanshi Juchnik? Do you now think that close hitting can deliver true power?
    Kosho

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Steve,

I don't know if you saw but at the end of everything, I asked Sensei Evans to check if I was doing it right. As you know there was a I mental block - not that I didn't think the punch was powerful, you clearly demonstrated that on my stomach - the mental block was that I didn't feel like I was generating power. Sensei said I had the idea & my movement was correct then had me try on the yellow re-breakable board, no problem. Later on Pat was breaking a bunch of boards, last attempt was on the black one with a downward palm and he knocked it out of Mikes' (I think) hands. Sensei asked them to be careful as the black one can put divots into the mats. They decided to stop and I asked Mike to hold the black one for me. I tried the punch and broke the black one with no problem and not so much as a slight tingle on my hand.

_Don

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Don.
    don't forget about the pat kelly seminar I have coming up.
    more info on it at
    www.shaolinkempotraining.com
    steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links