Thanks

Default The Gathering

Who went, who was there?
    Give us a review.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: The Gathering

I went for Saturday only. Attendance was pretty low compared to the last several years. Most of the usual instructors were there. Sifu Redmond replaced Sifu Keith Mazza for Wing Chun. Sifu Mazza is now the heir designate for William Chung. Both are excellent instructors. I jumped in to two of Wing Chun classes. One was on defense against a boxer and one was on chain punch attack.

(note: skipping titles) Bob Cook is always a blast and did a good class on Goju slap techniques. Jesus Rodriguez taught a bo kata for the 10th year in a row. Hanshi and others went over Kosho basing and stopping secondary rotation. Jeff Driscoll did an iai breakout session on MJER.
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I went and had a great time.. I wasn't a huge fan of the 12 minute teacher rotations, the time went too fast. Also it was hard to work with the number we had and the size of the room we were in. Throws usually required skillful landings to avoid collisions.

The most notable breakouts that I attended were Sifu/Guru Bernard Langan, Janet Gee, Maha Guru Victor De Thouars, and Bil Owens. I've decided that I wish to learn capoiera, it is a truly remarkable art form.

Sifu Langan covered breathing patterns and postures and how the affect movement. It was very bizarre and hard to follow (i.e., the tongue at the top of your mouth gives you power?). I would like to hear more from him in the future.

Janet Gee was incredible. She took "sticky hands" to the next level with sticky bodies (my instructor was her uke). She had us rolling around on the grass with our uke's trying to find positioning with our combined ki. It sounds weird, but it was fun and informative.

Victor De Thouars taught us some basics of Pentjak Silat Serak with two of his gurus (teachers) Bernard Langan and Horacio Rodriguez. It is very cool to learn an art form from the very best.

Bil Owens taught some introductory Capoiera. This was a blast, he also demonstrated a Capoiera game with 3 of his students and his 3 year old daughter (more on her later).

I loved seeing Sensei Pat Kelly work, I just wish it was my Sensei that he was throwing around . My favorite demonstration was Sensei Marc Burnham's. The first thing he said was that there was a very important teacher at the Gathering who actually taught him something. He singled out Bil Owen's daughter and the two of them did the Jinga (the basic Capoiera dance). It was very cool. He then did the naihanchi kata with his old student (now a Sifu in another art) Sifu Cooley and had Pat Kelly Sensei demonstrate Kosho bunkai on Sensei Tony Disarro. Then he explained his Udon kata (as in udon 't know this kata) which was a sequence of movements tailored to his judges (i.e., if there were more white gis then it looked okinawan, if there were more black gis then there were thousands of slaps, if there were TKD folks then there were super high kicks, etc.)

It was also nice to finally meet Hanshi Juchnik and many of the other Oregon kosho teachers. I have also spent a lot of time online searching for kosho information and have a running list of websites and names that I now have faces for. I was looking forward to meeting Gary Brewer, but he didn't make it. I was also looking forward to meeting Dr. Sumner, but I didn't find the time.

What I've gained from the Gathering? Confidence in my art form. A better eye for attacking as an uke (several of the uke's I worked with were from kajukenbo--they were a vicious bunch). Not every art works off of someone attacking (i.e., several of the instructors got after me for punching behind them when I uke). Many of the teachers preferred my uke striking to be delivered in such a way that they wouldn't hit (i.e., jabbing). This doesn't make sense to me, but I wasn't there to critique, I was there to learn. And that's what I did..

Ben

Thanks

in kosho we are taught to really project that punch.........some arent fond of that.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Hi,
    Hope this finds you all well, gathering 2006, Calf: Grandmaster Ming Lun, Paul Yamaguchi Hanshi, Sifu mike young, Professor IMI Okazaki-Mullins, Hanshi Bruce juchnik, Maha Guru Victor De thouars, Granmaster chareles gaylord, Mfundishi tayari Casel, Larry Kraxberger Sensei, Guru carlito bonjoc Jr., guru george santana, Sensei Jeff driscoll, Shihan tony Disarro, Shihan, George Chaber, Professor Robert Suttles, Sensei David Kovar, professor Ander simms, Sensei john thieman, Sifu Robert Nakashima, sifu Toby Cooley, renshi Robert ito, Granmaster michael dealba, Sensei Ron Estella, sensei Don Snyder, Shihan Jim Moraites, sifu Scott felsen, sensei jason Barron, Shihan david pletsch, Shihan kurt Van Sickle, Renshi Marc burnham, Sifu David leung, Sensei Al Turner, renshi terry Webb, Grandmaster Robert Hoe, Grandmaster Ray arquilla, Professor dominic Cirincione, kyoshi Pat kelly, sifu bernard langan, renshi rick wilmontt, Shihan Jon moore, sensei Janine moore, sensei terry dow, grandmaster Ronald pierce, master sahin ( Tony ) Talaat, Shihan ryan chamberland, Karen atriza, shihan David greco, Master Bob Liles, Grandmaster George Elmer Jr., Master Janet Gee, master Clenn Gavin, Master Randy Stigaill, Shihan Jon ludwig, Sifu Tim Mc farland, Sifu Bill Owens, Master John Evans, Shihan Brent crisci, sensei Faye castelli, guro Roger agbulos, Gilbert cordoncillo, master saturno, Guro jonathan (JOJO) Soriben, Master wade Williams, Professor Jerry R. cook, Sifu david Champ, Guru Glen Abrascy, Shihan Remileh Scherzinger, Shihan Megan koneval, This is the list of teachers there, I hope did not mis spell anyones name. The event it self was Really and truly a GREAT time, the teachers shared History and Teq, all weekend long. I could write a ton of info of this weekend, I went to a healing arts seminar and the master there helped my shoulder out. I went pain free for 4 days and even today it feels good but a little pain coming back. The teachers worked in groups and ranks where broken up around the hall. white - orange, purple - green, brownand red, and Black and up. there was also about 25 kids ages from 5 yrs - 12 yrs old. the dinner and the shows where fun and there was a lot of vender and giveways threw the weekend.
    there was a GrandMaster With kanjukembo there and he did a seminar on friday night for hanshi Juchnik, that was really cool. ALL the Teachers that wher there, Truly there where No Ego's all there to share there martial arts. I would Highly say If you never been to a Gathering you should go. the next one will be in Reno 2007. I am going again and hopefully more of my students will go. people and Teachers from all over the world came... More to come if people would like more detail...
    Photos will be posted soon on my web page. of the event. www.shaolinkempotraining.com
    Pat kelly sensei did some great stuff and he was throwing around my sensei for about 2 hours that saturday. even thought he was not on the list that day to teach... he also talked about how to defend with someone shooting in on you and did so with out useing his hands on a 24 - 28 year old and that was truly mind blowing on what he did and he made the person tap with just his legs and not once did he kick the person ( the person was a Black belt in another system) truly great weekend.
    steve

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Unfortunately I had to work on that weekend. I spoke to my old instructor Shihan John Tieman and he said it was a success. My instructor currently GM Arquilla had said it was good as well. I wonder if Tracy will do another Gathering of Eagles any time soon. I heard that is a tremendous affair. Anybody been to one of the Gathering of Eagles? I know it used to be held every 2 or 3 years.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links