Thread: Yukiyoshi Takamura Quote

Thanks

Default Yukiyoshi Takamura Quote

Yukiyoshi Takamura taught an art called Takamura-Ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu.

I often explain to people that the art I study is a collection of concepts and principles, rather than a collection of techniques.

Takamura Sensei does a great job of explaining this idea.....This is an excerpt from an interview by Stanley Pranin.

Clicking on the Question in the quote will take you to the article.

How did you come to reorganize the traditional curriculum of Shindo Yoshin-ryu?

That is a very complex question. Let me see if I can explain it clearly. Any martial art is really a set of concepts and ideas. Physical techniques are important but not the defining elements of a style. I have heard some people say that this is not true, that they have secret techniques. So what! I bet another style has techniques that are similar to their ďsecret techniques.Ē I would guess that what they actually have is more correctly described as secret concepts. All jujutsu traditions do similar joint locks because the joints in all human beings operate in the same way. There really are no new joint locks. Itís how they perform the locks that differentiate the styles. The concepts used in the application of the locks are what are important. These aspects are what make one tradition different from another. They are often the okuden.
    When I came to America I discovered that many traditional techniques were simply not applicable to the realities facing my new students. Jujutsu techniques in their original form were not intended to address these modern situations. When I first started teaching, students began to ask me how I would deal with a boxer, or with a karateka and so on. At first I was surprised because I was not sure that I had the answers. I had to carefully examine this. I realized that the answers were right in front of me. I was busy focusing on jujutsu techniques when it was jujutsu concepts that were the solution. Techniques did not matter because they were guided by concepts. New techniques could be devised to address new realities while embracing the time honored concepts that form the artís core. This would not be abandoning the art. This would allow the art to maintain its effectiveness and relevance to a new generation and era.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Yukiyoshi Takamura Quote

Great information. Thank you for sharing. I think that the idea of application of concept can be applied to all arts learned. I never heard it put that way, but I like it.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    I often explain to people that the art I study is a collection of concepts and principles, rather than a collection of techniques. Takamura Sensei does a great job of explaining this idea.....This is an excerpt from an interview by Stanley Pranin.
    Excellent articulation of a profound philosophy. Thanks, BCB.
    Dan C

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Good stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Thanks for the article! I completely agree 100%.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Great Information. Thanks for sharing.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Kosho ryu is very explicit in its M-O. A good Kosho teacher will tell you to examine all aspects of a movement as you might find that the technique that you are doing can be aplied in a different manner. When you have the movement (a inward circle down block) can be used as a block, a wrist release, a deflect and off-balance manuever, a block and face slap... blah blah ad infinitum.

Great article
    Regards,
    Walt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Interesting stuff.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Interesting stuff, Ty for posting it
    Yours Truly
    Kenpo0324

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kroh View Post
    Kosho ryu is very explicit in its M-O. A good Kosho teacher will tell you to examine all aspects of a movement as you might find that the technique that you are doing can be aplied in a different manner. When you have the movement (a inward circle down block) can be used as a block, a wrist release, a deflect and off-balance manuever, a block and face slap... blah blah ad infinitum.

Great article
    Regards,
    Walt
    Great point, Walt.
    Another I would like to make is this.....

Takamura states:
    There really are no new joint locks. Itís how they perform the locks that differentiate the styles. The concepts used in the application of the locks are what are important. These aspects are what make one tradition different from another. They are often the okuden.
    Takamura relates this to locks, but it can also apply to kicking, punching or throwing.

As Walt said....we might take a single movement, uchi ude uke, and use it against several types of attacks. The key is applying the concepts and principles specific to our basics. This doesn't mean that we have entirely native concepts, but it will explain why what we do appears different from another art.

This is one of the reasons it's important to breakdown a technique and look at the principle behind it's design.

It's kind of like learning to drive.......we are taught how to stop a moving vehicle by stepping on the brake pedal, there's a concept (stoppng) and a technique (stepping on the pedal).
    Then we learn when to stop, if you grew up out in the country like I did, you saw a lot of stop signs.....see the stop sign, concept comes to mind, execute my stopping technique (remember, this is only one of many ways to stop).
    Good Lord a stoplight!!!! Do i curl up in the fetal position on the passenger seat and start crying.......no, I remember the stopping concept and execute the required movement.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links