Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is True Self Defense?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What is True Self Defense?

I just bought The Journey Series From Hanshi Juchnik - It is the book and a 20 DVD commentary by Hanshi.

I read thru the book on Wednesday. The history and philosophy are very interesting. I'd agree with all that it has great drills, excercises, and nutritional advice. Some of the spirituality was a little wierd but other parts of his spiritual views I agreed with.

Because of how extreme the views were against violence - I can understand how many would feel his writtings were to influence the parole board. On the other hand it could be that he was intentionally writing this way to discourage ego centered martial artists from discovering his secrets and using them to hurt people.

Yesterday, I watched the 1st DVD and Hanshi made alot of sense of things you can draw from the introduction and how it applies to the actual performance of self defense.

_don Flatt

Thanks

Hanshi always has a lot of thought provoking teachings.
    Let us know what the rest of the series is like.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I've watched 6 of the DVDs and they are packed with insights. The book becomes much more meaningful when read along with the DVDs. Hanshi takes the book and unfolds core Kosho principles from the text and then demonstrates how they apply to the martial arts.
    DVD 1 Covers Kosho Eye Training and Self Defense Application.
    DVD 2 Covers Folding Arts.
    DVD 3 Covers Getting out of the Box and Blending.
    DVD 4 Shows footage of Shaka In.
    DVD 5 & 6 Deal with Ego, Prejudices and Negative Response as they interfere with Blending.
    The crazy thing is how Hanshi connects this stuff with the book. Truly the best of what this book had to offer was hidden. I would not recommend the book without the DVDs to complement and expand on it. On the other hand if your only interested in learning how to beat people up neither the book or DVDs have anything to offer you.

I'm not going to review all of the DVDs as there are 20 altogether. If you want to know more call Hanshi and spend the money to see for yourself.

_don flatt

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I know I said there weren't going to be further reveiws but after veiwing 13 of the DVDs in Hanshi's Journey I must say that Hanshi could probably translate any movement into an effective Self Defense Manuever.

_Don Flatt

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Go to tracy website. I believe the entire book is there for you to read.
    just click on it and enjoy!

hope this helps

Iam Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    Go to tracy website. I believe the entire book is there for you to read.
    just click on it and enjoy!
    Sifuroy,
    The Tracy Website has Mitose's first book What is Self Defense? Kenpo Jujitsu. We're talking about his second and final book, What is True Self Defense? This first book contains a glimpse into Mitose's philosophy and a brief study of Kosho Ryu Bujutsu (Wartime Arts) or as you may view a catalog of Self Defense Techniques. The second contains a more extensive look into Mitose's philosophy as well as a more in depth explanation of Kosho Densho (History/Legend).

Most importantly the second book differentiates between Self Defense and True Self Defense. The concept presented is that in True Self Defense there is no body contact. The book has a lot of great excercises for developing skills to utilize Kosho Escaping Arts which is better understood as evasion, tactical repositioning, or Tai Sabaki. There is very little application and the book is a little weird and some times makes little sense as well as being overly religious. Most martial artists will read it and want to throw it out because in it, Mitose discourages the use of martial arts and even goes as far as to call Karate evil.

The latter of the two books is harder to find. I beleive that GGM Tom Mitose is doing a limited re-release. You can get a copy from Hanshi Bruce Juchnik as a part of his Journey Series along with 20 DVDs that explain the books secrets for Kosho practicioners. I recomend getting it from Juchnik but then again I'm a Kosho practicioner.

_Don Flatt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links