Thread: Irimi, kawashi and taisabaki

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Irimi, kawashi and taisabaki

I'm current working on these areas now and would appreciate some specific insights about various methods.

Irimi can encompass a large number of things. Right now I'm focusing on three types:

1) triangular: These are three roughly 45-degree steps that leave you with the same foot forward facing in the opposite direction.

2) circular: This is an entry leading to a full turn almost along the line of entry.

example: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23138&q=aikido

3) zigzag: After stepping in, walking through with the other foor and then reentering the line of attack.

(can't find a good example of this.)

Later I'd like to get reacquianted with this:

4) square: Entering and turning the direction of motion 90 degrees.

example:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...18082&q=aikido
    (kihon example)

5) spiral: Entry with reverse movement.

example: above, under "applied technique."

Now breaking everything down this is how I've tentatively decided to classify the various types of entry, with each including variations of different angles (usually a 45-degree variation) because my own instruction wasn't really that systematized. Plus of course we have angles of reception (ukewaza) and attack, which are really forms of entry themselves of you take a long enough view.

Now kawashi and taisabaki are related skills. I'd like to hear some different ideas about drilling taisabaki just because voiding to different angles alone seems like a shallow practice. kawashi (turning through the attack) is something I'd like to work on with more depth as well, from small circular jamming to a full body-exchange rotation.

I know it's not really possible to get this all across in text very well, especially since the examples don't really include vigorous striking. Still, any specific thoughts with examples would be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Irimi, kawashi and taisabaki

A lot of what you describe are the same things we use in Kosho.
    One of the things to do is use the same principles applied to different planes of movement.
    The idea of "voiding" to the various angles of the octagon in Kosho is the primary tool, while simplistic in nature, it is the basis of movement in some kenjutsu styles.
    Aikido tends to have a bit more movement than Kosho, which is more compact in nature.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links