Thread: Shorinji Kempo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Shorinji Kempo

Does anyone have any information about Shorinji Kempo. What kata do they use? Please no links to other sites just post what you know about the art.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Shorinji Kempo

I don't know a lot about it, but a buddy of mine is in the Navy and Stationed in Japan. He loves it and I have a feeling he may never come back. Anyway, strangely enough, he called me yesterday to chat and said he was considering studying Shorinji as he found a school there. Maybe I can convince him to start posting!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Does anyone have any information about Shorinji Kempo. What kata do they use? Please no links to other sites just post what you know about the art.
    One of my former students trained in this system. He earned from white to 2nd black in 6 years ... and it showed.

Sorry to say he was not a great ambasador for the art.

I think however Sonny Chiba is a practitioner of this system.

Salute,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I have read that there are no true commercial Shorinji Kempo schools because it is against their rules to teach for profit.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

No forms. "Bunkai", or short combinations that typically include some boxing, jujutsu joint work, and basic kiscks.

Someof the most complicated and painful wristlocks from some of the most absurd positions. Hurt like hades, but not too sure just how one would find themselves in many of the positions they start their SD Techs from.

Trained at the L.A. school for just a bit; had a buddy who stayed at it longer, and got really darned good at it. I avoid grabbing his wrists or lapels.

Regards,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorinji_Kempo

Basic Background information mostly. The founder spent some time in China as an insurgent for the Japanese during World War II and came back with an eclectic smattering of Chinese Martial Arts (often refered to as Giwamon Fist). Wanting to uplift his country after the defeat in World War II, he tried to institue his martial arts and theories as a way to unify and empower the youth. It flopped. Attaching a type of Religious Philosphy to the whole affair, So Doshin encorporated the principles for living as a healthy citizen into the training and today it is one of the fastest growing religions in the world.

It has not made many inroads into the United States but has a large following over in Europe. Some people have stated that one of the reasons for this is that an instructor is not allowed to make a profit from the teaching of the system. If you look at the average "Krotty school on the corner," They are overflowing with "Krotty Moms" dropping off their bus loads of offspring in multi colored uniforms to be turned into carbon copy clones of sport "fighters." The Instructor can make a healthy business of this and thus can continue in the said practice of promoting faulty fighting methods. This would be the very antithesis of Shorinji Kempo. Students are encouraged to not only be "exceptional" in their study of martial art but to be "exceptional" in their society as well. Cookie cutter martial arts schools that live on their student body for the suport of a single instructor's wallet would not be able to function under the rules and philosophies of such a martial art.

http://www.shorinji.co.uk/kempo/shorinji.html

Kata like the type seen in Okinawan renditions of Kempo are not used as they prefer to teach using small self defense type techniques strung together and thrown at full speed

It is actually a well balanced system and just like anything you will get out of it what you put into it.

Regards,
    Walt

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links