Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinans

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Pinans

...in shorin, I believe they are done at the gedan level with a neko ashi dachi.
    Yep, that's the way. Actually, the opening movement is different as well. If I recall correctly, you, like Shotokan, begin w/ a turn to the left with left gedan barai in zenkutsu dachi; in Shorin-ryu and Wado-ryu, it is left otoshi tetsui uchi in either neko ashi dachi or mahanmi neko ashi dachi (respectively).
    Respects,

Erik A. Johnstone
    Shindokan Budo
    Jikishin-Kai International

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I like Pinan 2 out of all the Pinans though Pinan 3 has some nice stuff in it too. Pinan 2 seems to occupy the same place as Long Form 2 in terms of what it teaches. There's a lot in it.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I practice all five Pinans, and generally link them together as one long kata before breaking them down on by one. My favorite would probably Pinan I and Pinan IV because I like the strikes to the targets along the neck the best. Pinan V has some great neck breaks though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei View Post
    We use them. Although we tend to go in phases with pinans.

Although 5 is pretty fun to do, I think 1 teaches a lot of kihon (basics). You can spend a lot of time learning body mechanics and bunkai on pinan 1 alone.
    Incorrect body mechanics, as it were.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski
    Continuing Student of the Arts.

Thanks

Sorry for raising a zombie, but I was recently reviewing my traditional karate kata and in my readings (and boredom), came across this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by IWishToLearn View Post
    Incorrect body mechanics, as it were.
    Incorrect according to EPAK/SL4/IKCA, etc, possibly. Not incorrect according to shotokan, etc.

I can't speak for you, but I'd personally say that they may teach inefficient body mechanics. Not incorrect ones.

It also depends on who's teaching it. The pinans/heians represent a different system of movement than what is practiced in most systems of modern kenpo.
    "If a person prefers to do something another way, and he is happy with his results, no one can tell him he's wrong" Ed Parker, as quoted by Doc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stone_dragone For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (01-05-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

I understand your meaning, but I think there are incorrect body mechanics, not just inefficient ones. Maybe just semantics.
    My old kempo school teaches the Pinans, but thye've been 'kempoized' by using some 45 degree angles where there are originally 90's, and a couple of other chasnges. The order is a bit different too.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

Thanks

I agree that there are such things as incorrect body mechanics. What catches me is the wording. The mechanics may be bad, but they are correct - for that form. Bad mechanics may be correct...it just doesn't make them any better.
    "If a person prefers to do something another way, and he is happy with his results, no one can tell him he's wrong" Ed Parker, as quoted by Doc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stone_dragone For This Useful Post:

MarkC (01-05-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stone_dragone View Post
    I agree that there are such things as incorrect body mechanics. What catches me is the wording. The mechanics may be bad, but they are correct - for that form. Bad mechanics may be correct...it just doesn't make them any better.
    Body mechanics are the methods in which you move your body, change direction, etc.

Kata are comprised of movement patterns utilizing combinations of those mechanics.

If the mechanics are flawed, the movements using them, no matter how "correct" in matching the designed movement patterns, will also be incorrect.

I love a lot of the traditional kata. I just don't teach them actively any longer because the movements violate principles of moving utilizing your body anatomically correctly.

I loved your last sentence, had to read it a couple of times in my newly awakened coffee less state to get it, but I agree with you.

No matter how accurate the representation of the designed movements in your kata is, if the mechanics are incorrect, they're bad mechanics.
    ~ Steve Zalazowski

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

That makes sense. When I learned the Pinans/Heians they seemed rather unnatural to me.
    "Seek not to follow in the footsteps of men of old; seek what they sought." ~Matsu Basho

"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards." ~William Francis Butler

"He who is taught only by himself has a fool for a master." ~Ben Jonson

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dankenpo For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-11-2011)

Thanks

Deleted.
    Last edited by IWishToLearn; 01-11-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Double post delayed by several hours?!?
    ~ Steve Zalazowski

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links