Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kosho Buki-waza

Thanks

Default Re: Reply: Kosho Buki-waza

Quote Originally Posted by Taisetsu
    Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the nice welcome! I always enjoy your posts as well.

John McPartland is Mike Browns senior student the last time I knew. So If there is anyone who could possibly answer the question as to Mike Browns official JSA affiliations other than Mike Brown, I am sure that it is John. Because Johns last rank would have come from the same authorized koryu group if there is one.

John? Can you give us a little more info on Mike Brown and his affiliations?

Regards,

Carl Long
    thank you for the kind words, sir.

I believe Jeff Driscoll Sensei offers MJER at his school as well.......I am not aware if he is allowed to grade though.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Reply: Kosho Buki-waza

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    thank you for the kind words, sir.

I believe Jeff Driscoll Sensei offers MJER at his school as well.......I am not aware if he is allowed to grade though.
    Hi Shawn,

Driscoll Sensei does indeed teach MJER under the Jikishin Kai Intl. He conducts grading up to a specific level and submits the results to hombu for approval. All ranks must be approved through Hombu. He directs several study groups and is an excellent example of what a good teacher is all about.

There are several JSA affiliated dojo in RI. There are at least three Jikishin-Kai dojo, one in Newport, Johnston and Cranston. There is also a Suio Ryu group led by Norma Weiss. At one time there was a San Shin Kai group led by Glen Webber but I was told by one of his students that he no longer teaches sword and has moved on to teaching dance classes instead. John and Mike Brown (I was told he has now moved to North or South Carolina due to his wifes job) teach a Kosho version of sword somwhere up there as well.

Two weeks ago when I taught a seminar in RI, three of the present and ex-kosho sword students under Mike Brown and John that attended the seminar asked me what Mike and Johns JSA affiliation was. They were concerned about where their own JSA ranks would come from in the future. I obviously didn't have the answer they wanted to hear and they weren't very pleased. So when John brought up the subject I thought it was a proper moment to get the information directly from him or Mike. Thats always the best way don't you think?

John, if you or Mike don't feel comfortable disscussing this in public I am sure everyone here will understand completely. Just send me a PM or Email me and I'll be happy to forward the information to everyone who was asking.

BTW Shawn, if you get the opportunity to study real Japanese sword at the JCCC don't miss the chance. Ohmi Sensei is by all accounts a terrific teacher and I can personally tell you that Sandra Jorgenson is a fine example of what Japanese Swordsman should be. They are both excellent teachers. Good luck in your endeavor!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Reply to Long Sensei and others

Hello Long Sensei and others,

Sorry for this delayed response.
    In my new career role within a start-up firm and as a road warrior, well - weekends are when I can normally focus on other personal life matters.

I do not think I typed the word koryu in referring to how any Kosho instructor would approach the incorporation of training with the Japanese sword, nor do I wish (despite some kind words above) meant to imply any official S.K.S.K.I. policy position on this matter. I am not in any way authorized to speak for them. It is my own opinion for many Kosho instructors this would be an ancillary weapon study at best and they would not want to be restricted to a specific sword ryu's orthodoxy. This soul only wanted to give the original poster some background information to his query based on my practice and past observations.

I have lived long enough to realize martial art organization affiliations and partnerships have sometimes been known to change, just like modifications I have seen happen to training curriculum in both traditional and eclectic styles. Questions should always be asked.

Long Sensei I would totally concur with your opinion that there are quality people teaching JSA in Rhode Island such as Norma and Erik. I can personally attest (by past attendance) to all readers on this thread that your JKI seminars offer an outstanding JSA training opportunity. When I am approached by anyone - I believe I clearly communicate the existence of other JSA paths that they may wish to consider pursuing within the Rhode Island area. This is not a competitive business for me.

In the study group I attend - I (had thought) had clearly stated to all the group participants of MY planned direction & journey regarding formal JSA organizational affiliation - based on events during the past couple of years. Sometime in life you can take the action, other times you are acted upon.

Long Sensei based on your comments about questions received from your most recent RI seminar I will attempt to clarify concerns or level set expectations of current attendees on this direction.

John McPartland

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Reply to Long Sensei and others

Hi John,

Would you be so kind as to e-mail me? Thank you.

C Long
    Last edited by Taisetsu; 03-05-2006 at 12:35 AM.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Reply to Long Sensei and others

Seems this thread have attracted a lot of people in the know. For those seniors out there, how often do you teach some of the rare weapons that were mentioned earlier, such as the glaive or spear?

Regards,
    Walt

iai
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kosho Buki-waza

Is this stuff ever going to end?
    Its' great to see these type of forum postings are still going strong. It helps me be reassured that my decison to leave JSA (aside from training with close friends) and go back to Hunting was a good decision.
    There are no territorial politics in the woods. Just me and the turkey and deer.
    No distractions. Life is good.
    Tom Duffy

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iai
    Is this stuff ever going to end?
    Its' great to see these type of forum postings are still going strong. It helps me be reassured that my decison to leave JSA (aside from training with close friends) and go back to Hunting was a good decision.
    There are no territorial politics in the woods. Just me and the turkey and deer.
    No distractions. Life is good.
    Except for that annoying little habit of being distracted by internet forums eh Tom? It sounds like its less of the politics and more like the heat in the kitchen that drove you to the woods. Just you and the Turkeys Huh? 'Cause little critters don't shoot back right?

iai
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

No they don't. And they taste good.
    I am just really suprised that this whole issue is still going strong. I guess I will just never really understand how it works. I thought I did, but I was wrong. And with all due respect Long Sensei I have enough "heat" in my day to day job thank you very much. I have no idea what you mean by "heat". My problem was I was very confused. Heat indeed.
    Now I did chime in on this forum. I'll admit that. I was just genuinely shocked that after a fair amount of time, This whole issue still has life. Didn't mean to "attack" anyone with my post. I just saw a cheap shot on a guy who is still my friend.
    I'm just in awe. I guess I'll just never understand koryu. It actually depresses me.
    I'll go back to the woods now.
    Tom Duffy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

iai

Welcome to KenpoTalk. Don't let politics chase you away. kenpoTalk is to be a safe haven away from the political BS the mires so many systems. Instead we prefer to share knowledge, not political agendas.

I hope to see more posts from you and hope you enjoy your stay here.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

iai
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you mister broad. I appreciate it and I apoligize if I offended anyone.

Respects,
    Tom
    Tom Duffy

Thanks

Thank you mister broad. I appreciate it and I apoligize if I offended anyone.

Respects,
    Tom
    No offense taken here.......everyone has their reasons for why, where, and when they study.
    I think everyone feels the effects of politics at one time or another.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

No they don't. And they taste good.
    I am just really suprised that this whole issue is still going strong. I guess I will just never really understand how it works. I thought I did, but I was wrong. And with all due respect Long Sensei I have enough "heat" in my day to day job thank you very much. I have no idea what you mean by "heat". My problem was I was very confused. Heat indeed.
    Now I did chime in on this forum. I'll admit that. I was just genuinely shocked that after a fair amount of time, This whole issue still has life. Didn't mean to "attack" anyone with my post. I just saw a cheap shot on a guy who is still my friend.
    I'm just in awe. I guess I'll just never understand koryu. It actually depresses me.
    I'll go back to the woods now.
    Tom,

Welcome to Kempforum. Your point of view should be enlightening.

I am sure that you have plenty of heat in your daily job as a nurse in the surgery unit. I would never be so presumptuous as to tell you what is important or not important in your line of work. And I wouldn't try to understand how to be a nurse after playing at it occasionally for two or three years. You are a professional at what you do. And I am sure that there are never union disputes or anything like that in your professional line of work that you get yourself involved in or even care about, right? Nurses don't ever have ethical dilemnas. No one ever prescribes the wrong medicine that would be harmful to others. Never a Doctor that you might find unprofessional, or beyond reproach, right? I know that very little comes between you, your job and your money. As does everyone who knows you.

And with all due respect back at ya Tom...

Didn't mean to "attack" anyone with my post.
    Yeah Tom, you did. And anyone who knows you for any period of time will back me up on it. You have a temper that lashes out and its gotten you into tons of crap in the past. I urge you to prove me wrong this time around.

Actually, if my memory serves me correctly, it was your temper and "verbal attack" against these very same folks a few years back that spawned this very controversy. That is when the koryu folks that you came running to for support, backed you up during the HUGE political issue regarding ethics that we are discussing now is it not? You took a stand on something that you now profess to know little about or understand and then cut and run. Thats what I was refering to as heat. That is not defamatory, its an objective observation.

Heat? Hard work? I know a lot of guys that have stuck around for both, and continued their training. How many dojo have you jumped around to over the past 5 years trying to know Budo, koryu or gendai? If I jumped around from community college to community college for three to five years and expect to understand nursing I'd be labeled a fool at best and probably deserve much worse. You are right, you will never understand koryu or any gendai art by jumping around from lilly pad to lilly pad in the RI woods. So "Happy Hunting" Tom. I have a feeling that you'll be doing it for a very long time without ever finding what you're looking for. Perhaps a taste of this and a taste of that.

John is a good guy. John and I have been communicating off line regarding these matters and trying to resolve them until you decided to, as you put it, "chime in." So here we are. Your loyalty and friendship to anyone at this point is depressing to me as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Lets keep the conversation friendly and on topic. Kenpotalk does NOT condone attacks in anyway.

When people come to this site previous battles from other sites stay there, there will be no re-opening old wounds here. There are enough garbage boards out there for petty arguements.

Rob Broad
    KenpoTalk Global Moderator.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Mr Broad,

Your moderation is gratefully accepted.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Tom:

Hello! It is unfortunate that the first communication that I have had with you in a few months is related to the issues contained in this thread. Moreover, it is unfortunate to find that you have "chimed in" in a way that I would not have expected from you.

I have to say that I was both surprised and disappointed by the content of your first post here, especially considering, as Taisetsu pointed out, that you were right at the centre of the “controversy” concerning this issue when it started up in Rhode Island. Perhaps you recall that situation? Do you recall your desire to study an authentic Koryu sword art as opposed to something that was in the process of being “made up”? Do you recall your dissatisfaction with the study group leader that preceded you because of his (as you related) constant shifting between classes offering practise of the authentic Koryu sword art and the made-up style?

You may also recall that it was it was Taisetsu, who upon receiving a personal request from your (former?) Aikido instructor, gave you the opportunity and the necessary backing to continue in your studies in an authentic Koryu sword art by continuing the Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu study group that had been established in that Aikido dojo. Do you recall the seminar with Taisetsu that was conducted in that dojo as a result of the change in study group leadership in order to establish your credibility in the area? It appears that you do not realize that by doing the things mentioned above, Taisetsu “stuck his neck” out for you by vouching for you in such a direct way. A such, I have to say that I am disappointed by your lack of recall and your apparent lack of gratitude or acknowledgement of what people were willing to do for you and the other students of your former study group.

None of the above means that anyone demanded that you continue in your studies of Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu. However, regardless of your personal choices concerning your direction of study (we are, after all, free to make such choices), or lack thereof, as indicated in your first post, one would have thought that you might have a degree of “loyalty” regarding your perception of the situation and the opportunities that people with real ability and authority to do so, were willing to give you. By the way, you have chosen an interesting user i.d., especially given that, according to your first post, you no longer practise Japanese sword arts. I had been under the impression that you were currently studying Suio-ryu (the other legitimate koryu represented here in RI).

I hope that you consider what I have said. I also hope that you realize why it is important that issues of legitimacy with respect to claims of teaching Koryu are addressed (it seemed that you understood such issues and that you thought that it was important concern. In any event, your choice at that time to practise MJER seemed to indicate that). In any event, I do hope that you are happy in what you are doing and I hope that you are well.

Respects,

Erik Johnstone

Thanks

MOD NOTE:

Gentlemen, please address personal and private issues in PM's or email.

Shawn Bailey
    KenpoTalk Moderator

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hello Shawn:

Thanks and no problem.

Respects,

Erik (a Canadian in "exile" in Rhode Island) Johnstone

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Wow...Holy Thread derailment. it sounds like there is some bad blood on this issue. I hope the parties involved can put aside their differences so Rhode Island can benefit from the spread of authentic Japanese Sword arts. [kung fu groove]Kroh kicks thread back onto topic[/kung fu groove].

I have studied JSA in the past and one of the things I am noticing is that the Kosho Ryu footwork is very similar to some of the sword footwork I have seen. Does this footwork translate into the use of the other weapons taught in the system? That being the case, how does the use of the jo or naginata or knife differ from how other Japanese Fighting Methods that teach them.

Thanks for the minute...
    Walt

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hello Again!

Although trying to minimise further thread drift, I thought it important to state that from my perspective, there is no case of "bad blood" here, certainly not in relation to the folks that have posted here thus far.

In fact, I have counted both John McPartland and Tom Duffy as friends in the past and would be happy to continue to do so. I was just very surprised by Tom's posts; however, no more needs to be said regarding that issue.

As far as the spread of legitimate Japanese sword arts in Rhode Island (and other parts of New England, for that matter) is concerned, all is well in that regard. There are no differences needing to be put aside between the various legitimate koryu groups here in RI, which, to my knowledge is limited to the Jikishin-Kai dojo in Richmond, Cranston & Newport, and the Suio-ryu group in Providence (I do not know if any San Shin Kai groups are active any more). As my Teacher reminds me, the Koryu world is quite small; the senior teachers all know each other, and folks from various ryu or branches of a given ryu tend to get along quite well. In any event, we are all moving forward quite well, and I hope that it does bring something of benefit to our region.

Thank you for your time. Now, back to Walt's original thread!

By the way Walt, what JSA have you studied?

Respects,

Erik Johnstone
    Jikishin-Kai International

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hello Erik...

Thanks for posting. I have studdied the sword system indigenous to the jujutsu I did some years ago and a kempo system that I study offers Toyama Ryu Iaido to its senior students. I am by many standards of the JSA community, a novice, but I am always looking for quality instruction. The school I just started has a Muso Jikeidan Eishin Ryu study group. I have spoken with Ms. Weis on several occaisons and although I am extremely interested in both, time seems to be the greatest factor in me picking up another martial study right now.

When I left the military, I had tons of time on my hands and was training in several disciplines at once. Not so much anymore. Maybe soon...

I have to say that recently this thread has brought out some of the prominent folks in the JSA community. I have heard a lot of good things about many of the instuctors that posted recently and I hope you guys continue to post here (since Kenpo can also be translated as sword method...maybe they will give you guys your own forum section...Hint..Hint...to the mods). Thank you for all the information so far and I hope to hear more from you guys...

Domo arigato gosaimsu...
    hasta la bye bye
    Walt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links