Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite "finishing" kick?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

Default What is your favorite "finishing" kick?

Dear Kenpo brothers and sisters,

What kick do you like as a "finisher" when you have taken an opponent to the deck and want to make sure that he dosen't continue his attack after he recovers. I'm not talking about the "dance of death" here just a favorite kick that you like to use to take your opponent out of the picture so to speak.

My favorite was the stomp kick. In class during controlled sparring my target was to the groin or midsection.

Nelson Kari

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 966 Posts

Default Re: What is your favorite "finishing" kick?

I've been thinking about this lately, too. Good topic.

Finishing kicks (with the opponent lying on the ground) are going to be difficult for most of us to justify both legally and ethically in many confrontations. That is NOT to suggest they are never warranted, but this is not a technique I would want to use unless I knew I had to do so. I train to minize the need for finishing kicks. I want my initial strikes, locks, and throws/takedowns to sufficiently disable the attacker so that follow-up on the ground is unnecessary.

That said...

I personally like a front kick raking through the ribs, rechamber the leg, and stomp down into the armpit. (IKCA - Dropping the Storm) This was the favorite finishing stomp in my first jujutsu school. It leaves you on-balance and in a strong position to defend if the attacker does attempt to grab your leg or roll into or away from you.

Joel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to J Ellis For This Useful Post:

nelson (02-26-2009)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

if you have the perp on the ground, why kick him?? the way the courts work today,you will be the one in trouble,(i have seen it happen) but i do like check kicks they work well (for me) and you can take control,as far as a finishing kick, that only works well in the dojo.
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ackks10 View Post
    if you have the perp on the ground, why kick him?? the way the courts work today,you will be the one in trouble,(i have seen it happen) but i do like check kicks they work well (for me) and you can take control,as far as a finishing kick, that only works well in the dojo.
    I just like the sound it makes when the non aggresive attacker expells air.

The downward looping roundhouse to the solar plexus is my favorite.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

amylong (02-26-2009),nelson (02-26-2009),sigung86 (02-25-2009)

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Even before I had hip problems, I always admired, and have used, maybe, a time or two, maybe, the stomp kick. It's a pretty authoritative kick to end with, and regardless of what my Buddy, Mr. Elmer thinks... It's always good to think in terms of ending any confrontation with an emphatic parting of the ways... um..... maybe.

As for my bud, Brad. That woosh sound is kind of addictive, ain't it?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigung86 For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (02-25-2009),nelson (02-26-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Depends on whats most effective from my position relative to opponents and amount of force I think I need to employ given the situation.
    "By perseverance, study, and eternal desire, any man can become great," Gen. George S. Patton Jr. Commanding Officer U.S. Third Army

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Lion For This Useful Post:

nelson (02-26-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

This may not quite count, but I've always loved the knee drop... anywhere and everywhere it fits, lol!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ichitaita For This Useful Post:

amylong (02-26-2009),nelson (02-26-2009)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

all you people need HELP LOL But Mr Farmer you need the most

but this is a good kick
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ackks10 For This Useful Post:

Ichitaita (02-26-2009),nelson (02-26-2009),sigung86 (02-27-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 Times in 1,335 Posts

I would agree that the neccesity to apply any type of "finishing" move is different in every street situation. By not disabling your attacker to the point where deploying a hidden weapon is impossible you are putting yourself at risk.

I definetly would not risk putting a "submission lock" on a perp in a street situation to hold him for the cops or whoever unlesss my back was being covered.

Nelson

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Not one for a "finishing kick" ... but I loves me a good stomp kick

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J Ellis View Post
    I've been thinking about this lately, too. Good topic.

Finishing kicks (with the opponent lying on the ground) are going to be difficult for most of us to justify both legally and ethically in many confrontations. That is NOT to suggest they are never warranted, but this is not a technique I would want to use unless I knew I had to do so. I train to minize the need for finishing kicks. I want my initial strikes, locks, and throws/takedowns to sufficiently disable the attacker so that follow-up on the ground is unnecessary.

That said...

I personally like a front kick raking through the ribs, rechamber the leg, and stomp down into the armpit. (IKCA - Dropping the Storm) This was the favorite finishing stomp in my first jujutsu school. It leaves you on-balance and in a strong position to defend if the attacker does attempt to grab your leg or roll into or away from you.

Joel

I agree that it would be hard to justify legally, but I don't have any ethical problem with kicking a guy on the ground.

You see, I'm a man of peace. Which means he started it. Under those conditions, I'd do whatever I had to so I could go home to my family, and if that included kicking a downed opponent in the skull until his neck lays twisted at a strange angle, I'm fine with that.

If that's what it required.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Thesemindz For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (02-26-2009)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,866 Times in 5,547 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post

What kick do you like as a "finisher" when you have taken an opponent to the deck and want to make sure that he dosen't continue his attack after he recovers. I'm not talking about the "dance of death" here just a favorite kick that you like to use to take your opponent out of the picture so to speak.

My favorite was the stomp kick. In class during controlled sparring my target was to the groin or midsection.

Nelson Kari
    Well in Cali, he better be upright, because if he's on the ground, it's "assault with a deadly weapon," a felony, and YOU go to jail - even if he started it. They do however give women more leeway, but if it can be demonstrated she could have run away - she will get an orange jumpsuit as well.

Once again, if you have real martial skills, it shouldn't be necessary in most instances.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Carol (02-26-2009),J Ellis (02-26-2009),nelson (02-26-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Well in Cali, he better be upright, because if he's on the ground, it's "assault with a deadly weapon," a felony, and YOU go to jail - even if he started it. They do however give women more leeway, but if it can be demonstrated she could have run away - she will get an orange jumpsuit as well.

Once again, if you have real martial skills, it shouldn't be necessary in most instances.
    If they guy is attacking you with a knife, you hit him in the throat and he dies would you go to jail in Cali then too? I don't know what the law is here but I guess I better be looking them up just in case I have to know how much I am allowed to protect myself or others.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

well doc,i have to agree,it is the same in New Jersey,

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post

Nelson Kari

Nelson, my favorite finisher would be a sweep kick as I make my escape. To the arms if he is trying to grab onto me or under the chin.
    "Fall seven times, stand up eight." Japanese proverb

"I've seen some cats do some crazy stuff like bending swords with their necks and breaking flaming bricks... thats great and all but can they fight?" *shrugs* Moses Powell

-Hank Colado

24. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoHank For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (02-26-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,254 Posts

In Michigan if you can articulate the "exigent circumstances" on why you HAD to kick someone to keep protecting yourself it would be allowable.

Everyone so far has talked about stomp kicks to the head/chest area to "finish" them. When I think of my stomp kicks I think of them going to the ankle so he can't run after me and I can get away safely. Maybe he has a limp the rest of his life but he will remember it the next time he goes to victimize somebody.

Here is a good example of strategy and using a finishing kick.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMtTu3LLNc0
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

Here's a nice finishing kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8tOq...eature=related

It finished the guy kicking.

But if you read the comments, he's really proud of himself. He says things like, "if my opponent hadn't stepped in, it would have been a knockout!" Yah, except he did, and now you're knocked out.

Smooth.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Yeah well we all know Cali is way too liberal (not in the sence of liberty or freedom) to be able to rightfully defend one self. Isn't the shoes the part that makes it "assult with a dangerous/deadly weapon? Could you do it if you where bare foot? What if it was needed to eliminate the threat of you opponent? Wht if you foot hits him AS he hits the ground? Ok I'm just rambeling. Lol

I have to second what Mr.Marshall said with the looping downward roundhouse kick, maybe a retarded ball kick through the solo plexis (sp?) To the facem
    . If you count knee drops they are tied with the ones I mentioned.
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ackks10 View Post
    well doc,i have to agree,it is the same in New Jersey,
    It is only that way if there is video
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 966 Posts

I don't have any ethical problem with kicking a guy on the ground.
    Well, I am a man of peace too, and I don't object to using violent skills to defend myself or others against attack. But kicking someone on the ground is another matter. I don't intend to put someone on the ground who is able and/or willing to get up again quickly.

I would rather walk away shamed than fight to save face. I would rather hurt than maim. I would rather maim than kill. I would rather kill than stand by and watch an innocent person be killed.

If it is absolutely necessary to kick someone on the ground, as was mentioned above, I would rather choose a disabling strike than a potentially fatal one.

Joel

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Ellis For This Useful Post:

ackks10 (02-26-2009),gixxershane (02-26-2009)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links