Thread: Lesson Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Lesson Plans

For the instructors out there. Who uses a formal lesson plan for their classes. Who has it written out what you want to accomplish in that class?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Lesson Plans

Hmmm...still no responses here. I was looking forward to seeing what other instructors had to say about this. As for me, I very rarely write out my lesson plans. Although, quite often I do jot down themes for upcoming classes, based on weaknesses I've seen, etc. But I almost never use a formal lesson plan. It is a little odd, because I also teach high school, where I generally have a fairly detailed lesson plan. Maybe it's the difference of the physical involvement? Interestiing question.

Salute,

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I more oftenly than not use a lesson plan. But may I say, in most cases, we steer off course and go into many others things that I might have not considered in my written plan.

Some themes I use for my lesson plans could go from developement of a particular basic, a restricted sparring scenerio, a string of related techniques... the list is never-ending!

I think the hardest thing though that I am challenged with at this time is you might want to cover a certain lesson, but then say a mix of low and high ranks show up and they are not ready to learn that particular lesson.

In the future, I hope to strive to have very defined classes with certain ranks attending each class, but at this point I feel my student base is not large enough to do that.

At that time then, I think it would be in my best interest to put together all the lesson plans I have written up over the years into a sort of book format to work from.

I believe there are some of these resources already out there...? Any feedback on this type of planning?

Respectfully,
    Joshua Ryer
    Ryer Martial Arts Academy
    5440 Centre Avenue
    Pittsburgh, PA 15232
    (412) 621-KICK
    www.RyerAcademy.com

The Highest Quality Martial Arts

Thanks

I have a specific sheet that I have had for almost 15 yrs. It has a section for Warm up, Body of the class, and Cool down. It also has an area for any themes, and a box for necessary equipment you may need. I am thinking about adding a second side of the page to put notes ftom that night, a section for related topics.

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 599 Posts

I've used lesson plans in the past. Its definately a plus because it'll help keep the flow of the class going smoothly. The one problem that I've encountered is when the plan is geared towards a set amount of people and you either get more or less people. The time set for each portion may have to be increased or decreased.

I agree with what Rob said about having a theme to the class. If for example, joint locks was going to be a focus, spending some extra time during the stretching portion to help loosen up the hands, wrists, etc. would be a good idea.

Mike

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

We have a calendar that lists the main focus of each class. Subject to change without notice of course.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    For the instructors out there. Who uses a formal lesson plan for their classes. Who has it written out what you want to accomplish in that class?
    I use a plan. It is broken into 15 min each. Warm up and basics, than techniques, than forms. But if I am teaching the upper belts I usually only do what they want help on. THere is usually a technique of the week to do. THat is as close to a lesson plan as I get.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

We use our syllabus as a guide mostly. We do the same warm up to start every class and we usually reserve certain days for forms and others for techniques but nothing is ever "set in stone." We mix it up with drills and so forth to keep things interesting. I'm not sure I could be as organized as some of you seem to be! =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Every student in our school has their book for each belt. In those booklets, is everything they need for the next belt.

The written/mental material (pledges, sayings, patch descriptions etc.)
    forms, sets, tecs, fundamentals, and an area for the Instructor to check off when taught and tested.
    The booklets are color coded for belt.

We follow this book for each class unless we are doing something other than 'material' such as sparring etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I use a plan. It is broken into 15 min each. Warm up and basics, than techniques, than forms. But if I am teaching the upper belts I usually only do what they want help on. THere is usually a technique of the week to do. THat is as close to a lesson plan as I get.
    I do the same thing.

I also posted a long list of drills that I've been using. It's fun to have different things to mix it up.

Last night, only 3 people showed up, so I told them they were pre-testing for their yellow belts and since I could tell they'd be practicing, I gave them an early Christmas present and promoted them.

A good time was had by all.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong

Last night, only 3 people showed up, so I told them they were pre-testing for their yellow belts and since I could tell they'd be practicing, I gave them an early Christmas present and promoted them.

A good time was had by all.

--Amy
    Congrats on having the new yellow belts.

Thanks

Thanks!

That's one of the best things about being a black belt, is getting to promote those who I have worked with who have worked hard.

I've only had my black belt a year and a half and I've gotten to promote about seven people to yellow and one to green.

It's just nice to see all those hours of training blossom in a student.

I'm sure you can all relate.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Thanks!

That's one of the best things about being a black belt, is getting to promote those who I have worked with who have worked hard.

I've only had my black belt a year and a half and I've gotten to promote about seven people to yellow and one to green.

It's just nice to see all those hours of training blossom in a student.

I'm sure you can all relate.

--Amy
    It really is a great feeling, and other than that first person you promote I don't think anything comes close to the first person you promote to Black Belt.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

I know what you mean. It's very fullfilling to see your students progress and improve and finally reach a goal. As a matter of fact, I enjoy it so much that I went back to school last year to get a degree in Education! I should be done by the end of Summer. =)

When I was younger I never thought something could be so satisfying. It must be similar to what an artist feels when they finish a masterpiece.

BTW, congratulations to your yellow belts!! Truely dedicated students inspire me. We were going to be closed today due to the Holidays, but I'm teaching a class this morning because I have a few students that really wanted to come in. As a matter of fact.....I better get going!! CYA
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

For anyone looking for a Lesson Plan contact me and I will send you a copy of the one I am currently using.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,559 Times in 2,171 Posts

I don't use a written lesson plan but I do go into a Group class with a good idea of what I want to work on that day. I do leave it open though, in case something catches my eye that needs to be worked on more than what I had planned on.

TAC (Tactical Advancement Class) is a little more organized. Start with kicks from the belts the students are currently in and then move on to SD techniques. If a student needs new material, I'll teach them a technique for them to work on during that class. Otherwise, I'll usually pick the technique the student needs the most work on. Sometimes, it'll be several techniques, depending on where they're at. How I work with them on techniques has a number of different variables, based on what I feel the students need at the time.

When I have a lesson with one of my private students, I have a very specific idea of what I want to work on.

Les
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I use lesson plans most of the time. But then I'm trained as a lecturer.

I usually make my lesson plan the morning after the last class, when what students need is fresh in my mind. I find this helps with continuity in the classes.

Sometimes a students question will lead me off on a tangent and one lesson plan, with modifications, will cover two classes.

I also encourage my Assistant Instructors to make lesson plans.

Reading the posts above, it's interesting to see that perhaps some people don't really understand what a lesson plan entails.

Les
    I'm only here to learn

Thanks

How are you defining it?

I would think a lesson plan would be a plan for how the class will flow and the topics expected to be covered.

I keep mine kind of vague in details, but rich in general format.

I know that in each class I want them to do conditioning, work on basics and learn a new technique. As long as those things happen, I consider it a successful class. That, and having fun. I want people to be happy they came, feel they are spending their time and money well, and look forward to coming back.

That's about it.

That's why I've been so excited about having drill sheets. It gives me regular and varied activities for the students. I'm certainly open to more idea though.

--Amy

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links