Thread: Other's Mistakes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Other's Mistakes

Can we actually learn from other people's mistakes or is it human nature to disagree and have to find out for ourselves the hard way.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (01-08-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,309 Posts

Default Re: Other's Mistakes

Its easy to identify flaws, but harder to identify the root flaw. A bad example would be that if both you and the person you are watching have bad posture when doing a form, you can spend all day picking out the results of the bad posture but never identify bad posture as the root cause.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Can we actually learn from other people's mistakes or is it human nature to disagree and have to find out for ourselves the hard way.
    I beleive for this we need to give some introspection to the idea of "finding out ourselves." When we probe further into different ideas are we really probing or was the answer inside us all along and we are probing to appease ourselves? From our persective an event could be a mistake in that persons life, from another it could be a turning point for success.
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Casey_Sutherland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Yes.

Depends on how open minded we are. I've found that I sometimes have an uncanny ability not to learn from any mistakes- theirs or mine!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

In a perfect world I would say Yes we can.. but I know not of this world.

Every person's circumstance is their own.. we can be 'Mindful' as we go through life of similarities we may come across, and hopefully if we come across an issue that rings familiar, hesitate and choose wisely.

When it comes to Reality.. how many have watched our own kids or other's kids go into something such as a marriage etc.. and they Never listen ~!

Everyone has to make their own mistakes and if we're lucky.. learn Something from them.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Also.. Pain is generally the deterent to repeating a mistake.. Physical pain and/or Emotional pain.. We human's really are hard-headed creatures and unless we experience something unpleasant ourselves.. we don't get the message.

Gee that's hot, let's stick our finger in the fire and do it again.. you broke my heart.. but I don't mind.. here abuse me some more.. Yeah they are Out there .. but let's hope we aren't part of that crowd.. Masochists are curious types.
    So in my humble opinion.. Gotta learn the hard way.

Thanks

I know if there is a hard way to learn someting I usually have to learn from it that way instead of taking the easier path.

Thanks

Now that we have a lot more members I decided to bring this thread back to the forefront.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    My answer is YES, to both!
    Yes, we CAN (and should) learn from every mistake / failure from ourselves and others.
    Yes, it's human nature that we Usually don't and have to live it for ourselves.

Myself? I'd like to be able to learn from every mistake AND success, my own and others. I'd like to learn from them and make positive changes in myself in regard to them.
    That's the ideal. Now.....to make it the standard practice!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

robertk (01-07-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I'd have to say both. There is a saying,that the older person that can make good good desisions learned from making a lot of bad ones first. Sadly,of course,some people never learn. One must have an objective,willing mindset and the ability to say (at least to oneself) "huh,I might be wrong about that",or,"maybe there's more to learn." Once we become a "know it all" we become unteachable and unreasoning and the next instruction is harsh experiance (lost relationships,lost freedoms,lost finances, positions,or even life). A little something I picked up from many bad choices. Good idea putting up these older posts. -Bob

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robertk View Post
    I'd have to say both. There is a saying,that the older person that can make good good desisions learned from making a lot of bad ones first.
    Oops. Only supposed to be one "good" in that line. Speaking of mistakes... - Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

the probablity of learning from it depends on:

did you notice that person's mistake,

or

are they telling you about it.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

There have been some great points and perspectives. First of all Rob this is a great question.

How do we learn? Some learn by thinking, some learn by doing, and some learn by feeling.

You tell the way people learn just by watching your students in class. The thinkers ask a lot of questions, the doers, do; the feelers are the ones who go AAWWWHHH when they get it.

Now this should apply to other aspects of their daily life as well.
    Just remember that the best lessons in Kenpo do not envolve a punch,kick or strike. (Mr. Parker)
    Last edited by MARSHALLS KENPO; 01-09-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Brother John (01-08-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

It depends upon the type of person you are. For instance, both Napoleon and Bismark noted they preferred to learn from others mistakes and especially history because it showed successes and failures on the part of many others under manifold conditions.
    "By perseverance, study, and eternal desire, any man can become great," Gen. George S. Patton Jr. Commanding Officer U.S. Third Army

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links