Thread: Clothes we train in.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Clothes we train in.

Have you ever tried any tecs wearing big bulky outdoor clothing? Wow, it sure makes for a big difference.. I'm talking the ideal phase defenses such as Crashing Wings wearing a bulky coat.. Sure made for some laughs last night.

oh and another thing.. for females- don'tcha just 'love' crashing wings

If you've not trained in winter clothing.. Try it.. it's boggling.. slippery nylon jackets, clunky boots.. oh yeah... this makes for a whole new Kenpo

Thanks

Default Re: Clothes we train in.

Very good idea! I live in San Diego so all techniques must be practiced in shorts-

I used to try to throw kicks with roller-blades on in the early 90's but pivoting was too difficult.

Seriously though, training in bulky clothing or leather jackets, jeans, and casual shoes (not sneakers) is a great way to experiment with your material and see what works and what NOT to do.

Great question!

I like to wear my GI top at all times because if I can get out of a grab (lapel for example) with that on then casual clothes will be a snap-

James
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks

Wink Re: Clothes we train in.

Someone from England was talking about that same thing. He made everyone in his class go back and change back into their street clothes for class.

Sounds like a hoot.

I personally don't have to worry about that because I'm in my gi 24/7. I'm a bit of a geek, but it's good to be prepared.

(And before anyone says anything -- I'm kidding.)

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

I used to train in anything I might be wearing, including heavy winter clothes. You're right, it changes everything. For winter clothes, I found it best to modify my Kenpo to resemble some of the Northern Chinese systems. Longer, more looping strikes, with a lot of body twist. Forget the straight punches, quick jabs, etc. And take heart- he's probably just as bundled up, and having just as hard a time as you are.

Anothr thing to think about is target selection. All that padding can make a lot of the usual shots ineffective. But a good finger whip to the ears..., !!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

Up here we have to wear a lot of warm clothes in the winter, many layers to keep you warmm. Most of the fights we see in the winter happen in the bars, not outside the bars. I know someone hitting me in the torso in the winter would not do much because being from the south I have to wear a couple extra layers. In the past I have done classes in the winter in the park that was near my school, it was pretty interesting to see the results.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links