Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Year in Review...

  1. #1
    WristTwist's Avatar
    WristTwist is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post

    Default Year in Review...

    OK, I am relatively new here, so many of you may not care, but I have some thoughts, looking back at my first year of this wacky martial arts thing.

    In January I made the typical "I am gonna get in shape" resolution, being about 50 lbs overweight and having some knee/hip/back problems, I needed to do something. I got a weight set for christmas from my wife as encouragement, great gift, I used it a lot for the first 4-6 weeks but there is no social factor to it...so it's hard. At that time I was thinking about Martial Arts, I always wanted to learn as a child but it wasn't as common then and my family didn't have the means...low and behold a guy calls me from a new gym he is starting offering good prices, a free week of classes. I talked to him for about 45 minutes and decided to give it a try, my kids took classes as did me and my wife in that week. After the first class I was dead tired before 10 minutes of the class had passed, but I sucked it up for the rest of class (almost)...the next two days I was dead tired with sore muscles but went back.

    We all liked it and paid for a whole year, and are still doing it. I am very involved at the gym, there almost as much as a part-time job, helping teach the white belts now, helping with the web site, fixing the gym and more, so doing all that he offered to give me private lessons once a week, which has helped emensely.

    It is with great anticipation I enter my second year of training 30 lbs lighter, with better cardio and more strength and agility than I have had in YEARS...and I owe it all to Martial Arts...primarily Kenpo, but also a bit of Kickboxing and JiuJitsu.

    I have, thru that year looked at other schools, tried some other arts, but will come back to where it started, too many phonies out there, I trust my instructor, love the art forms and continue to look forward to the journey.

    In that year, thanks much to the fact the gym started so small and all those privates, I have reached bluebelt ranking, my wife is purple, and my 7 yo daughter will be purple before the year is over. My 4 yo is just having a great time kicking and punching things...

    And best of all, I have actually KEPT a new years resolution, and began a path to fulfilling a childhood ambition.

    Whew, I dunno what to say, it's been a long strange trip, and I hope it never ends. Glad I found this forum of encouraging, helpful people...so many online forums gets so nasty...this one doesn't, gotta like that.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cobourg ON
    Posts
    1,021
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    i think its great that you have found something thats productive and healthy. Martial arts can be very rewarding and life changing.
    it's always tough in the beginning.....until you find your legs, then you can run with it.

  3. #3
    WristTwist's Avatar
    WristTwist is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Thanks, man. Probably one of the most rewarding things is the family impact. I found something I can do with my daughters (I have a hard time with "girly" things like playing Barbie). We go in the basement and work the bags, I wear the focus mitts, heck, a lot of the time I just get into horse stance and let them wail off on my stomach and thai kick my thighs, which they laugh and think is awesome, plus it's a little conditioning for me. And they are learning to hit faster and harder all the time.

    It has been a great experience, I just hope their enthusiasm continues like mine has, kids are wacky, interests come and go, their enthusiasm has peaks and valleys, as expected, I just hope it stays for MA on the whole...I see such a positive impact in them from the years work, pride, better behavior (usually) they are so much stronger and more coordinated, it's a beautiful thing.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Excersize is only half of it. Nutrition is the second half of losing weight. How is your diet? What kind of foods ddo you eat? So on and so forth. I am a senior in a nutrition major.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  5. #5
    Hunter's Avatar
    Hunter is offline
    KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita KS
    Posts
    709
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 183 Times in 112 Posts

    Thumbs up Re: Year in Review...

    Very cool happenings! Glad you could share them! It is always nice to hear about someone having a positive experience!
    www.hunterskarate.com

    "I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

    - From the Lone Ranger's Creed




  6. #6
    WristTwist's Avatar
    WristTwist is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Excersize is only half of it. Nutrition is the second half of losing weight. How is your diet? What kind of foods ddo you eat? So on and so forth. I am a senior in a nutrition major.
    Good shout. Nutrition is the part I have been taking more seriously as of late. I actually eat pretty well, since having kids we have tried to eat better and better. My main problem is one word, that word being "soda"...I drink beer as well, but not much, soda I can sit and suck on all day long, and often do.

    Since last Friday, when I got my blue belt, I have not had one soda or beer, nothing but water and some Orange Juice to mix with my monthly Aloe Ease treatment with.

    In my past, as a young adult, I have had drug problems and successfully kicked those with no help from any counter-drugs, therapy or any other crap, but for some reason, this soda thing I just have a hard as hell time kicking.

    I have a very addictive personality by nature and have learned over the years to accept that fact and just try to target that addictive nature to productive things, such as MA, my career, my kids and such...

    I honestly don't know why or how that damn CocaCola won't leave me alone...when I do quit (I have many times) I drop like 10 lbs in a week, but then I pick up another one and I start all over again.

    This time I am going to do it, I am going to weigh 200 lbs by my birthday next year (in May) if it kills me.

    For reference I am 6'3" or 6'4" (depending on the convenience store I am leaving) and overall in good shape except for the little pot belly...tho the pot belly is smaller, it's still there and it still pisses me off.



  7. #7
    gakusei's Avatar
    gakusei is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    516
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Congrats on starting your journey.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwist
    In my past, as a young adult, I have had drug problems and successfully kicked those with no help from any counter-drugs, therapy or any other crap, but for some reason, this soda thing I just have a hard as hell time kicking.

    This time I am going to do it, I am going to weigh 200 lbs by my birthday next year (in May) if it kills me.
    I am very happy that you were able to kick all of that stuff out of your life. As for the soda, I remember in my very first nutrition class my teacher brought in a pretty big clear zip lock bag full of sugar. She said this is how much sugar is in one 20 oz. bottle of Coca-Cola. I have not drank that stuff since than. And secondly I found out that you can clean your enginie with coke because it is that accidic. If you must drink soda or as people around here like to say it "pop" ( o I crindge every time I hear that) drink Sprite, it is less acidic and I think it has less sugar too. But event better would be Ice Tea or water. And I am also very happy you have set a goal for yourself. Just keep excersizing, stay away from the coke and try whole grain breads than weat they are better for you. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  9. #9
    WristTwist's Avatar
    WristTwist is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Thanks parkerkarate, I have heard all the "clean your toilet with Coke" type of stories, but it's just never had that impact with me, even though I know it's horrible. I do eat good breads, my wife has taken up making her own breads, which is awesome.

    I may come back at you with questions from time to time, good to know somebody with that knowledge.

    Oh, and I am from a "pop" place, I just say soda online cuz more people understand that it seems. To me, it's just "gone" I hope.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Hahahhahha ok
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  11. #11
    MHeeler's Avatar
    MHeeler is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    I am very happy that you were able to kick all of that stuff out of your life. As for the soda, I remember in my very first nutrition class my teacher brought in a pretty big clear zip lock bag full of sugar. She said this is how much sugar is in one 20 oz. bottle of Coca-Cola. I have not drank that stuff since than. And secondly I found out that you can clean your enginie with coke because it is that accidic. If you must drink soda or as people around here like to say it "pop" ( o I crindge every time I hear that) drink Sprite, it is less acidic and I think it has less sugar too. But event better would be Ice Tea or water. And I am also very happy you have set a goal for yourself. Just keep excersizing, stay away from the coke and try whole grain breads than weat they are better for you. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    At best, your teacher was using hyperbole to make a point. On the other hand, she also could have been intentionally or unknowingly misleading you. In either case, most of the "info" regarding Coke, and soft drinks in general, is absolute junk. Just go to http://www.snopes.com to see the details.

    Or better yet, just use some grade school science to figure it out yourself. For example, how much sugar do you think was in that "pretty big clear zip lock bag?" (By the way, the High Fructose Corn Syrup is nearly identical in composition to normal table sugar.) If you look at Coke's nutritional information, they list their sugar content as 27 grams per 8 fluid ounces. For a 20oz bottle, that comes to 67.5g of sugar. Now, it would be easy to measure out that much sugar using a decent kitchen scale. Or, take the fact that 1 gram is equal to 0.0353 ounces and you can easily calculate that 67.5g of sugar is equal to 2.02oz. Just using common sense, does that sound like a large ziploc bag full? Or better yet, consider that 2.02oz is just barely over 1/10 the size of the entire 20oz bottle. Pour the bottle's contents into 10 equal portions, and you can have some approximation of how much sugar is actually in there.

    Regarding acidity, the myths surrounding soft drinks are even worse. I'd heard the story about Coke being used to dissolve teeth and even to clean your toilet, but never to clean an engine!! If you want to compare Coke to another popular drink, how about orange juice? Orange juice contains 1.09% phosphoric acid, while Coke only contains 0.055%. So, should why aren't we all dissolving from the inside when we drink OJ!?! Maybe we ought to start a movement to ban OJ, to "protect the children" or something. Forgive my sarcasm, but it amazes me how these urban legends get spread. Just FYI, I have actually poured a can of Coke and left it overnight in my toilet to prove a point...long story short, I ended up using more than one bottle of bleach to remove that caramel color. Let me tell you, that particular shade is quite unattractive in the commode.

    But hell, don't take my word for it, search for yourself. Snopes has an entire section of their site dedicated to "Cokelore" at http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp

    MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

  12. #12
    WristTwist's Avatar
    WristTwist is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    I have always assumed most of those stories were exaggerated at best, but still, it ain't good for ya, or not better than good ol' water. I can attest the weight loss I experience from ONLY stopping soda drinking, no other dietary change, JUST that...



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Quote Originally Posted by MHeeler
    At best, your teacher was using hyperbole to make a point. On the other hand, she also could have been intentionally or unknowingly misleading you. In either case, most of the "info" regarding Coke, and soft drinks in general, is absolute junk. Just go to http://www.snopes.com to see the details.

    Or better yet, just use some grade school science to figure it out yourself. For example, how much sugar do you think was in that "pretty big clear zip lock bag?" (By the way, the High Fructose Corn Syrup is nearly identical in composition to normal table sugar.) If you look at Coke's nutritional information, they list their sugar content as 27 grams per 8 fluid ounces. For a 20oz bottle, that comes to 67.5g of sugar. Now, it would be easy to measure out that much sugar using a decent kitchen scale. Or, take the fact that 1 gram is equal to 0.0353 ounces and you can easily calculate that 67.5g of sugar is equal to 2.02oz. Just using common sense, does that sound like a large ziploc bag full? Or better yet, consider that 2.02oz is just barely over 1/10 the size of the entire 20oz bottle. Pour the bottle's contents into 10 equal portions, and you can have some approximation of how much sugar is actually in there.

    Regarding acidity, the myths surrounding soft drinks are even worse. I'd heard the story about Coke being used to dissolve teeth and even to clean your toilet, but never to clean an engine!! If you want to compare Coke to another popular drink, how about orange juice? Orange juice contains 1.09% phosphoric acid, while Coke only contains 0.055%. So, should why aren't we all dissolving from the inside when we drink OJ!?! Maybe we ought to start a movement to ban OJ, to "protect the children" or something. Forgive my sarcasm, but it amazes me how these urban legends get spread. Just FYI, I have actually poured a can of Coke and left it overnight in my toilet to prove a point...long story short, I ended up using more than one bottle of bleach to remove that caramel color. Let me tell you, that particular shade is quite unattractive in the commode.

    But hell, don't take my word for it, search for yourself. Snopes has an entire section of their site dedicated to "Cokelore" at http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cokelore.asp

    MH
    And who made this website? Many things on the internet can be false. As for the common sense part I am a nutrition major. I have many books on nutrition trust me and I have taken many Nutrition classes. As for the fructose syrupit is sweeter, dissolves more in water, is absorbed more in water. Sweetness: Fructose .3 times sweeter, Dissolve: 14.7 more disslved, Absorbtion: .24% more. And a fructose corn syrup is different from regular sugar just by its state. Regular sugar (sucrose) is made of glucose and fructose. Fructose is a six-carbon monosaccharide and sucrose is a disaccharide. As for the OJ many things have emulsifiers, stablisers, and additives in them so that we are not harmed. I do not mean to sound mean but I must be reading into what you were saying too much.
    Last edited by parkerkarate; 12-08-2005 at 12:16 PM.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  14. #14
    MHeeler's Avatar
    MHeeler is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    And who made this website? Many things on the internet can be false. As for the common sense part I am a nutrition major. I have many books on nutrition trust me and I have taken many Nutrition classes. As for the fructose syrupit is sweeter, dissolves more in water, is absorbed more in water. Sweetness: Fructose .3 times sweeter, Dissolve: 14.7 more disslved, Absorbtion: .24% more. And a fructose corn syrup is different from regular sugar just by its state. Regular sugar (sucrose) is made of glucose and fructose. Fructose is a six-carbon monosaccharide and sucrose is a disaccharide. As for the OJ many things have emulsifiers, stablisers, and additives in them so that we are not harmed. I do not mean to sound mean but I must be reading into what you were saying too much.
    Quick answer: Barbara and David P. Mikkelson. However, I think the more relevant issue is your second statement. Yes, absolutely, many things on the internet CAN be false. It is entirely up to you to make that determination. However, considering the amount of research that went into the Snopes pages, in addition to the number of experts referenced, not to mention the extensive bibliography of research materials listed on each page, it seems that these folks have done their homework. As I'm sure you're aware, that's the nature of science and research: those making claims must show evidence supporting those claims.

    I'm not sure where you're going with the information you're giving regarding fructose. And, honestly, some of it is a bit confusing. Not that any of it is relevant to the discussion at hand, but I am curious for details. If you don't mind: When you say that fructose is ".3" times sweeter, are you comparing it to sucrose? Do you mean that fructose is less sweet? And how exactly is that measured? Is the dissolution measured in water, or in vivo? Same question for the absorption data. Speaking of absorption, isn't fructose reliant on the presence of glucose for uptake? I remember GLUT-2 and GLUT-5 being necessary for the absorption of fructose. Wouldn't that mean that fructose has LOWER absorption than, say glucose or sucrose?

    You're right about fructose being different from sucrose. That's because, as you pointed out, sucrose contains fructose. However, High Fructose Corn Syrup is similar to sucrose, because HFCS also contains both fructose and glucose, in similar proportions to sucrose.

    Well, this has certainly become an interesting conversation. Thanks.

    MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Quote Originally Posted by MHeeler
    Quick answer: Barbara and David P. Mikkelson. However, I think the more relevant issue is your second statement. Yes, absolutely, many things on the internet CAN be false. It is entirely up to you to make that determination. However, considering the amount of research that went into the Snopes pages, in addition to the number of experts referenced, not to mention the extensive bibliography of research materials listed on each page, it seems that these folks have done their homework. As I'm sure you're aware, that's the nature of science and research: those making claims must show evidence supporting those claims.

    I'm not sure where you're going with the information you're giving regarding fructose. And, honestly, some of it is a bit confusing. Not that any of it is relevant to the discussion at hand, but I am curious for details. If you don't mind: When you say that fructose is ".3" times sweeter, are you comparing it to sucrose? Do you mean that fructose is less sweet? And how exactly is that measured? Is the dissolution measured in water, or in vivo? Same question for the absorption data. Speaking of absorption, isn't fructose reliant on the presence of glucose for uptake? I remember GLUT-2 and GLUT-5 being necessary for the absorption of fructose. Wouldn't that mean that fructose has LOWER absorption than, say glucose or sucrose?

    You're right about fructose being different from sucrose. That's because, as you pointed out, sucrose contains fructose. However, High Fructose Corn Syrup is similar to sucrose, because HFCS also contains both fructose and glucose, in similar proportions to sucrose.

    Well, this has certainly become an interesting conversation. Thanks.

    MH
    O boy. You are really giving me a rub for my money. Most of the information I found was in my book for my Nutrition/Food preperation. On this graph is Sweetness it says that Sucrose is 1.0 while Fructose is 1.3. Maning fructose is sweeter. When dissolving fructose in what you are able to dissolve 86.9 g at the most in 100 mL until it becomes a supersaturated solution (meaning you are not able to dissolve the solute:fructose, anymore). While you are only able to dissolve 72.2 g of Sucrose in 100 mL of water. And the high fructose corn syrup is used in soda but you will not see it and cakes, pasties and other things. It is mainly used in Syrups and Jams. Anyways this is way off topic now. Sucrose has nothing to do with soda, now they put Splenda in soda which is almost 2000 times sweater than regular sugar.

    And just curious, are you a nutritionist because it sounds like you know what you are talking about?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  16. #16
    WristTwist's Avatar
    WristTwist is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Quite often food and drug advisories seem to be up for political lobbying and will say what they need to by who is the highest bidder. Not in any way discounting parkerkarate's learned knowledge, but there have been known scams in this area, Flouride comes to mind immediately as something that has been sholved down our throats (literally) as a great thing to do for your teeth by "studies" from the dental association that were funded by people that get flouride as a byproduct from the manufacturing. When the fact is Flouride causes tumors, cancer and deteriorates teeth (tho not fast enough to catch in a human lifetime)...but thanks to big money and big business it became known as the best thing to do for your teeth, and the backers of the "study" are making billions off the left over crap from their manufacturing...

    Thats just the one story that comes to mind cuz I recently had a conversation about it, but there are more...



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwist
    Quite often food and drug advisories seem to be up for political lobbying and will say what they need to by who is the highest bidder. Not in any way discounting parkerkarate's learned knowledge, but there have been known scams in this area, Flouride comes to mind immediately as something that has been sholved down our throats (literally) as a great thing to do for your teeth by "studies" from the dental association that were funded by people that get flouride as a byproduct from the manufacturing. When the fact is Flouride causes tumors, cancer and deteriorates teeth (tho not fast enough to catch in a human lifetime)...but thanks to big money and big business it became known as the best thing to do for your teeth, and the backers of the "study" are making billions off the left over crap from their manufacturing...

    Thats just the one story that comes to mind cuz I recently had a conversation about it, but there are more...
    Ive got nothing to say about that, you know more than I.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  18. #18
    WristTwist's Avatar
    WristTwist is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    As a rule tho, fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of water, some good grains and fiber and a tasty bit of grilled animal flesh and you have a good diet...I think anyone can agree on that...well, except vegetarians



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    2,270
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 113 Times in 95 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwist
    As a rule tho, fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of water, some good grains and fiber and a tasty bit of grilled animal flesh and you have a good diet...I think anyone can agree on that...well, except vegetarians
    Well put
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

    "Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"


    "Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

    "A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

  20. #20
    MHeeler's Avatar
    MHeeler is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default Re: Year in Review...

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    O boy. You are really giving me a rub for my money. Most of the information I found was in my book for my Nutrition/Food preperation. On this graph is Sweetness it says that Sucrose is 1.0 while Fructose is 1.3. Maning fructose is sweeter. When dissolving fructose in what you are able to dissolve 86.9 g at the most in 100 mL until it becomes a supersaturated solution (meaning you are not able to dissolve the solute:fructose, anymore). While you are only able to dissolve 72.2 g of Sucrose in 100 mL of water. And the high fructose corn syrup is used in soda but you will not see it and cakes, pasties and other things. It is mainly used in Syrups and Jams. Anyways this is way off topic now. Sucrose has nothing to do with soda, now they put Splenda in soda which is almost 2000 times sweater than regular sugar.

    And just curious, are you a nutritionist because it sounds like you know what you are talking about?
    Thanks for the quick reply!!

    Yeah, I also thought that fructose is a bit sweeter. I am still curious as to how that's tested. I guess taste testing would be part of the process, but I wonder if there's some more objective measure.

    Still, I fail to see how sweetness and solubility have anything to do with diet and obesity. As I said earlier, I still think that fructose has a lower absorption rate than either glucose or sucrose. HFCS, however, probably is similar to sucrose, as they both contain similar proportions of both glucose and fructose. Given the similarities between sucrose and HFCS, it would seem that the amount of sugar taken in has more to do with causing obesity than does the specific type of sweetener used. (That and the fact that humans have become more and more sedentary as technology improves...but that's a whole 'nother story)

    While you're right about Splenda (sucralose) replacing HFCS in many food items, I don't think it's quite as sweet as you claim. According to the FDA's talk papers on sucralose, at http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00859.html, Splenda is ~600 times sweeter than sucrose.

    Actually, I'm a physician and a basic science researcher. My interest in Nutritional Science/Medicine is mainly due to the number of friends and family members I know with Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, or other endocrine problems. It's too bad that nutrition is not emphasized heavily during medical school, considering the potential it has for preventive medicine...but, I'm trying to remedy my own ignorance.

    Thanks again for the info,
    MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Video Review : Zach Whitson Kenpo CounterPoint - VHS
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-26-2005, 10:40 AM
  2. Web-pages as 'products' to review...
    By Brother John in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 04:35 PM
  3. Where to send products for KenpoTalk Staff Review?
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 08:26 PM
  4. Class Review
    By Miyu in forum Humor
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 10:31 PM