Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Year in Review...

Thanks

Default Re: Year in Review...

Quote Originally Posted by MHeeler
    Thanks for the quick reply!!

Yeah, I also thought that fructose is a bit sweeter. I am still curious as to how that's tested. I guess taste testing would be part of the process, but I wonder if there's some more objective measure.

Still, I fail to see how sweetness and solubility have anything to do with diet and obesity. As I said earlier, I still think that fructose has a lower absorption rate than either glucose or sucrose. HFCS, however, probably is similar to sucrose, as they both contain similar proportions of both glucose and fructose. Given the similarities between sucrose and HFCS, it would seem that the amount of sugar taken in has more to do with causing obesity than does the specific type of sweetener used. (That and the fact that humans have become more and more sedentary as technology improves...but that's a whole 'nother story)

While you're right about Splenda (sucralose) replacing HFCS in many food items, I don't think it's quite as sweet as you claim. According to the FDA's talk papers on sucralose, at http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/ANS00859.html, Splenda is ~600 times sweeter than sucrose.

Actually, I'm a physician and a basic science researcher. My interest in Nutritional Science/Medicine is mainly due to the number of friends and family members I know with Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome, or other endocrine problems. It's too bad that nutrition is not emphasized heavily during medical school, considering the potential it has for preventive medicine...but, I'm trying to remedy my own ignorance.

Thanks again for the info,
    MH
    If I could send you the graph I would but you are just going to have to take my work for it. The relative sweetness is influenced by temperature of the solution containing the sugar. "For example fructose was judged to be 1.4 times sweeter than sucrose at 5 degrees celcius, comparable in sweetness when the solution is at 40 degrees celcius, but only 0.8 times as sweet at 30 degrees celcius." (p.152, Margret and McWilliams) Sweetness and Solubility have nothing to do with obesity unless you want to stretch it.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    If I could send you the graph I would but you are just going to have to take my work for it. The relative sweetness is influenced by temperature of the solution containing the sugar. "For example fructose was judged to be 1.4 times sweeter than sucrose at 5 degrees celcius, comparable in sweetness when the solution is at 40 degrees celcius, but only 0.8 times as sweet at 30 degrees celcius." (p.152, Margret and McWilliams) Sweetness and Solubility have nothing to do with obesity unless you want to stretch it.
    Cool!! Thanks!!

MH
    Man has only those rights he can defend.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

While this may be out of line, it seems to me, based on my experience with doctors and such, is that medical school basically teaches people which drugs to give for what symptoms and how to best advise patients on personal activity and care without getting themselves sued.

Sadly...thanks to the "sue 'em, sue 'em, sue 'em" society we have created for ourselves...(at least in the US)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WristTwist
    Quite often food and drug advisories seem to be up for political lobbying and will say what they need to by who is the highest bidder. Not in any way discounting parkerkarate's learned knowledge, but there have been known scams in this area, Flouride comes to mind immediately as something that has been sholved down our throats (literally) as a great thing to do for your teeth by "studies" from the dental association that were funded by people that get flouride as a byproduct from the manufacturing. When the fact is Flouride causes tumors, cancer and deteriorates teeth (tho not fast enough to catch in a human lifetime)...but thanks to big money and big business it became known as the best thing to do for your teeth, and the backers of the "study" are making billions off the left over crap from their manufacturing...

Thats just the one story that comes to mind cuz I recently had a conversation about it, but there are more...
    I do agree that the FDA and other organizations tend to be too politically motivated (take the recent decision not to allow the Plan B pill over-the-counter, despite the advisory panel's opinion paper OK'ing the move). However, I think it highly unlikely that the FDA, or any governmental agency, would deliberately risk the lives of ordinary citizens with cancer, simply to increase revenues for any particular industry. This type of thinking crosses the border into fantastical conspiracy theory. A quick search on PubMed will show how much relevant research has been conducted on this topic. In fact, as recently as 2000, the British Medical Journal published an article entitled "Systematic review of water fluoridation." This work showed no clear evidence of any adverse effects other than dental fluorosis. However, the journal acknowledged that the studies regarding fluoridation were "of poor quality, contradictory and unreliable."

For more info, check out Quackwatch's fluoridation page at http://www.quackwatch.org/03HealthPr.../fluoride.html. It's pretty well written and covers all the bases.

MH

Thanks

Cool!! Thanks!!

MH
    No problem
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

While this may be out of line, it seems to me, based on my experience with doctors and such, is that medical school basically teaches people which drugs to give for what symptoms and how to best advise patients on personal activity and care without getting themselves sued.

Sadly...thanks to the "sue 'em, sue 'em, sue 'em" society we have created for ourselves...(at least in the US)
    It's not medical schools that teach this methodology; rather, it's bitter experience on the part of innocent doctors who have been sued by overzealous patients, families, and their lawyers. Most people fail to realize that medicine is just as much an ART as it is a science. Not to mention, medicine, like all sciences, deals with probabilities, not absolutes. There are very few guarantees in life, regardless of how much schooling you go through. Still, most physicians understand that the doctor-patient relationship is quite important to the healing process. It's just that, due to the present political, economic, and bureaucratic environment in medicine, most physicians have very little time to use their good bedside manner.

No, you're not out of line. It's important for physicians to know that their patients are unhappy. I just hope that enough of us have our ears open.

MH

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

No, you're not out of line. It's important for physicians to know that their patients are unhappy. I just hope that enough of us have our ears open.
    jeezuz I wish you practiced in the Twin Cities, MN area...haven't heard something that honest from a doctor in years.

Not that I am bitter or anything...

You do make some good points.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

It's not medical schools that teach this methodology; rather, it's bitter experience on the part of innocent doctors who have been sued by overzealous patients, families, and their lawyers. Most people fail to realize that medicine is just as much an ART as it is a science. Not to mention, medicine, like all sciences, deals with probabilities, not absolutes. There are very few guarantees in life, regardless of how much schooling you go through. Still, most physicians understand that the doctor-patient relationship is quite important to the healing process. It's just that, due to the present political, economic, and bureaucratic environment in medicine, most physicians have very little time to use their good bedside manner.

MH
    I just realized that I left something out:

While it's a serious detriment to quality of care and medicine in general for innocent physicians to get sued, I have no problem whatsoever with incompetent or negligent practicioners being sued or having their licensure revoked, etc. Unfortunately, some bad apples either slip through the cracks or manipulate their way into positions with decision-making power over patient care. I sincerely believe that this is a SMALL percentage. Even taking personality and cultural differences aside, most physicians are careful, conscientious, and compassionate.

Now, realizing that everyone's personality is different, it is my personal opinion that you should shop around for a physician that suits you, your family, and your overall health goals. Medicine is a service industry...if you're not happy with the service you receive, it is your right and responsibility to seek that service elsewhere. However, I would first recommend that you openly communicate your concerns to your physician. He or she may pleasantly surprise you.

MH

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Yeah, there is a few in every crowd. I have found a couple doctors I have liked, but they are so damn busy it's hard to get in to see them unless I have a limb falling off.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Hey, parkerkarate guy or the doctor...

I have a question you will likely know. How much water should one drink a day? I THOUGHT I had heard about 1 liter per 50 pounds of body weight or something like that...is that true? I am replacing pop with water and have been drinking TONS of it...like my body is just craving it or something...just curious how much one should drink, and if you can drink too much?

Thanks

I have a question you will likely know. How much water should one drink a day? I THOUGHT I had heard about 1 liter per 50 pounds of body weight or something like that...is that true? I am replacing pop with water and have been drinking TONS of it...like my body is just craving it or something...just curious how much one should drink, and if you can drink too much?
    The reccomendation is 6-8 cups a day

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

ah, OK, I'm tripling that I guess...

Thanks

ah, OK, I'm tripling that I guess...
    Now there is a point of where you drink too much water and than things get really bad

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I would suspect you'd have to drink A LOT before it does anything bad, unless of course the water is from a holding tank by the Spingfield Nuclear Plant...

Thanks

I would suspect you'd have to drink A LOT before it does anything bad, unless of course the water is from a holding tank by the Spingfield Nuclear Plant...
    LOL good point

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default 8x8

This is always a fun question to answer...would you like the short or long answer? Well, I'll preemptively try to give both:

Short Answer: There is no amount of water you SHOULD drink per day. Drink when you're thirsty or being extraordinarily active.

Long Answer: This is where parkerkarate's answer comes into play. Yes, most physicians, nutritionists, dieticians, physical trainers, etc. will recommend 6-8 glasses (8 ounce) per day. However, take this advice with a huge mountain of salt. I say this because there is no real science to back up this claim. A couple years ago, the American Journal of Physiology published an article (read the whole thing at http://dms.dartmouth.edu/news/2002_h2/pdf/8x8.pdf) refuting the 8x8 prescription. Basically, they did a literature review searching for any real research into this, and they came up with...very little!! There haven't been any clear studies done with good controls; so, no direct claims can be made. Some work has been done with respect to water absorption, kidney function, serum concentration, etc, but I think these studies merely showed that most healthy people do just fine with much less than the recommended 6-8/day.

On the flip side of the coin, there have been some studies done recently showing the adverse effects of OVER-hydration. In particular, marathon runners were studied during races, and the results showed that the runners were drinking far too much water, often on the advice of their trainers and physicians. Many times their over-hydration was to the point of hyponatremia (low blood sodium). Hyponatremia is a serious thing...some symptoms include fatigue, dizziness, hallucinations, delirium, coma, even death.

So, my personal advice would be to drink when you feel like it. Don't unnecessarily avoid water intake, but don't unnecessarily overdo it either. Try to drink more water during the day than other fluids (soda, coffee, tea, even fruit juices). Your body has a wonderful natural way of telling you to drink: thirst. Obey that signal, and you'll be fine.

MH

ps: My bill will be forthcoming. Just kidding...sort of.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

thanks. I am typically drinking 3-4 liters a day for the last week or so, I feel thirsty all the time, mostly throughout the workday...considering I usually drank 1 liter or two of soda, I suspect my body is wanting water cuz it's ifnally getting some and likes it...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

thanks. I am typically drinking 3-4 liters a day for the last week or so, I feel thirsty all the time, mostly throughout the workday...considering I usually drank 1 liter or two of soda, I suspect my body is wanting water cuz it's ifnally getting some and likes it...
    You seem to be drinking approximately twice the "recommended" amount, which is no great cause for alarm. However, significantly increased thirst can be a sign of certain metabolic/endocrine disorders. For example, one of the cardinal signs of diabetes is increased thirst in addition to increased urination. There are also some more serious conditions (SIADH, Kidney Failure, Pituitary dysfunction, etc) that can present with increased thirst as a main symptom. I'm not trying to scare you here, but I just would like you to be aware that excess thirst can be a sign of some pathological process. I'm emphasizing CAN because there is no way for me to determine anything over the internet (maybe one day, but not yet ). The best I can do is to advise you to see how things develop. If your thirst goes back to what you feel is "normal" for you, then great. If you continue to feel excessively thirsty, or at least excessively thirsty in comparison to your personal background, I'd highly recommend you make an appointment to see a physician. Also, if you or your friends/family start to notice that you are having lethargy, fatigue, decreased appetite, nausea, or muscle cramps, get to your doctor's office or the local Emergency Room soon. More advanced hyperhydration can lead to drowsiness, confusion, seizures, and coma. You seem quite able to hold a conversation, so these are probably unlikely. In any case, you mentioned that you're quite physically active, which can be a trigger for increased thirst. Also, any number of environmental factors can do it.

Good health,
    MH

Thanks

it would be great to start a new thread on nutrition and training.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. I will monitor my drinking situation for the next few days...I have noticed LESS thirst today than in previous days, so perhaps my body is leveling off here...man, I hope I can stay off the soda...that stuff kills me. And doesn't increased drinking and increased urinating kinda go together logically?

As far as symptoms go, my wife thinks I am very lazy and lethargic, but, well, doesn't everybody's? She just feels that way cuz I don't spend my whole day doing what SHE wants me to do

w00t, got my first private lesson as a blue belt coming up in about 4 hours. YAY! I love privates, you can learn soooo much one on one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links