Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drills and teaching material

Thanks

Default Drills and teaching material

I've been putting together some drills and such that I've found in various places that I thought I'd share. I printed them on back to back paper and laminated them and so far they've been really useful when teaching class. It gets boring doing the same things all the time, so it's nice to have a list to choose from. If you all have some fun drills and activities to help a relatively new instructor, please post them. I can always use more ideas.

Drills 3

• DUCKING DRILL - Have students line up. Call out basics. Walk freely between them with a soft baton or pad, swinging slowly at student’s head. Regardless of where they are (mid-shuffle or not) the first priority is to duck or avoid. Come at them from all sides.

• CLOSING THE DISTANCE - Have students move towards their opponents with a front crossover or rear crossover before executing their techniques. Or have them fire back-knuckles at a pad using the same approach.
    • CATCH THE PUNCH – Pair up. One side throws ten punches at their own pace. The other tries to catch them. It teaches the importance of snapping back punches.

• 2 PERSON FOCUS DRILLS – Use focus pads. Call out basics and then say either ‘miss’, ‘light’, or ‘hard’. All are done at the same speed. Control is very important and it stresses control.

• STANCE DRILL – Call stances out. Have students hold each as they count backward from ten. Throw punches in between stances.

• TENSION DRILLS – Do various blocks, punches and kicks tensing all muscles. Use the time to check angle and position. Have them breathe and tense as much as possible.

• MOVING TARGET – Partner up. One person holds a focus pad. The opponent looks away from the target. Partner one moves target slowly up and down. Call out various strikes. Partner 2 turns and hits pad with the called strike. Change to circular movements and then to non-rhythmic movements.

• TORTURE DRILL – Doing various kicks, start with one and move up in increments to 10 kicks each without putting down their legs. Can be done from kneeling position as well.

• FLYING KICKS – Have students run across the room and do flying kicks into a bag trying to knock instructor over (or bag holder). You can also place some pads on the floor for them to fly over before they kick.

• THROW & KICK OBJECTS -- Have students take turns pitching objects at each other. One partner pitches and other either kicks or punches it out of the way. Or you can kick or punch objects across the room.

• MOVING BACK BASICS – Partner one moves towards partner two with various kicks and punches. Partner two moves backwards using defensive blocks, ducks and dodges to avoid getting hit. Move directly back and/or side to side.

• SLIPPING PUNCHES – One partner attempts to punch while partner two slips and ducks. Follow up with a punch or ridgehand.

• CHAIR TECHNIQUES – Practice doing basics from a chair or bench. Use kicks into a bag or doing techniques from a sitting position.

• SLOW MOTION TECHNIQUE SPARRING – Students pair up and do slow-motion techniques on each other. When one person finishes the end of their defensive technique, they continue the motion to an attack of their opponent, who defends with a technique, then again moves to attack.

• CLAPPING REACTION DRILL – Partner up. Call out a kick or punch to be done 5 times towards opponent. When partner B sees partner A move, they clap. The idea is to move without signaling their partner.

• BOXING HANDS/KARATE FEET – Pair up. Have a large bag. One partner hold it while the other does either continuous hands and/or continuous feet for one minute. Then switch. Bag holder can either stand still or move around.

• MONKEY IN THE MIDDLE WITH PADS – Students in the circle hold pads. Monkey tries to fight her or her way out of circle using hands or feet. Pad holders offer resistance.

• POSITION BAG – Team up with large bag. Bag holder moves bag to one side or another and partner kicks (or punches) as appropriate.

• WALKING THE GAUNTLET – Students line up across from each other. One student walks down the middle. Students in line randomly throw attacks. The walker responds.

• DIFFERENT WAYS OF DOING FORMS – Do form with a book or pad on their heads. Have people face opposite each other and do the same form.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Brother John (08-31-2008),John M. La Tourrette (04-09-2007),Mikael151 (05-31-2007),NickName99 (05-30-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: Drills and teaching material

Basics Drills

• Reverse punches on command from neutral bow.
    • Switch/Punch – Reverse punch, switch stance, reverse punch.
    • Shuffle forward – reverse punch or shuffle backward reverse punch.
    • Circle Domino Drill – One student does a punch of some kind and others follow in suit in a domino fashion. (Can be done in a circle)
    • One person in circle does a punch and everyone else tries to be the first to react.
    • Students pair up and upon command, both fire a punch and try to be first. Same can be done for kicks or other strikes.
    • Facing partners – From neutral bow, one person makes an offensive movement while partner reacts with a reverse punch. Can be done with front arm.

Drills while doing techniques

• Do a specific technique back and forth. Vary it with speed. Really slow to really fast.
    • Two facing lines – One side attacks, the other defends. One side moves down one. It’s a modified technique line.
    • Monkey in the middle – Always respond with same technique.
    • Same as above but with varied attacks and varied defenses.
    • Blindfold the person in the middle. Attackers must be very careful.
    • Inverted Monkey – The person in the middle does the attacks.
    • Odd Man Out – Everyone pairs up. The person without a partner does a certain number of push-ups. When that person is done, they yell that they’re looking for a new partner. Everyone must find a new partner. Odd man out does push-ups.
    • Do a technique on each other, then add a kick or sparring combination at the end. Mix it up.
    • Do various techniques on a pad with a partner or with the big pads in the other room.

Drills for Forms

1. Stop and Turn – Everyone does a form, when instructor says STOP, all students must turn one quarter and continue with their form.
    2. Slow Motion.
    3. Slow motion with all the power they can muster.
    4. Footwork Only.
    5. Handwork Only.
    6. Live Attacker – Go through each technique with the attacker.
    7. Do the form with your eyes closed.
    8. Do it starting in different directions.
    9. Distraction – Have other students wave or yell during the kata. No smiling, laughing or messing up or they have to start over. Mild or Intermediate.
    10. Two or more people doing it at the same time – synchronized.
    11. Continous – Do the form over and over without stopping 3 times.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Brother John (08-31-2008),John M. La Tourrette (04-09-2007),NickName99 (05-30-2007)

Thanks

Drills

Zombie Drill – Either with partner (one being the zombie and the other evading) or have the whole class come at one person at a time who does the evading. The evader uses parries to move through the attackers.

Free-Form Application – Two partners go back and forth alternating attacks and responses. Any defense is appropriate if it works. Change partners frequently.

Limited Application – Attacker does one punch, push, grab, etc. The defender blocks, then counters with one or more strikes. Alternate attackers. Vary the defenses.

Outward Defenses – Pair opponents. Attacker does basic grabs. Defender breaks the grip using only outward circular movement and one pre-planned follow-up.

Inward Defenses - Pair opponents. Attacker does basic grabs. Defender breaks the grip using only inward circular movement and one pre-planned follow-up.

Four Zones Self-Defense – Pair opponents. Partner A does the striking. Partner B starts by standing, then bending, then on one knee, then on the ground. Partner A keeps striking. This teaches how to strike with opponent in various positions.

Wooden Dummy Drill – Pair opponents. Partner A hold arms out and a little apart, stiffly. Partner B continuously blocks and counters as if they were strikes and grabs. Go inside and outside. Partner A moves like a Wing Chun Dummy.

Gladiator School – Pair opponents each with a focus pad in one hand and a blocker or foam bat in the other. The pad is a shield and the bat is a sword. Strike targets and avoid the head.

Walk the body – Pair students – One in a horse stance. The other move around the body using first, hand strikes only, then kicks only, then both. Switch back and forth.

Heavy Bag Toss – Get class in a circle. Play catch with the bag. Try having students do various strikes to the bag as it comes their way or try to catch it without letting it touch their bodies.

Pad Blocking Drills – Students pair off with two focus pads. One student uses the pads to strike their opponent and the opponent blocks the strike, getting the feel of a full body blow safely.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Brother John (08-31-2008),John M. La Tourrette (04-09-2007),NickName99 (05-30-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Great stuff!!!
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Amy-
    You deserve some kind of medal or something!!! That's a GOOD collection!!
    I'm going to Copy/Paste and print.....and do lots of thinking on how to implement them.

Thank you so much.
    If you (OR ANYONE ELSE) has more, please .......fill in the blanks.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

What's funny is that I took them from 3 different books. One of them had 99 drills and I found 20 good ones. Another one had at least 50, but only a handful were worth it.

I'm big into sharing. I just hope it helps other people as much as it has helped me.

I'm going to raid my instructor's book shelf and see if he has any others I can use. I'm looking forward to seeing other people's input too.

--Amy

P.S. I laminated a couple of copies of these and I keep them at the school so I can just pick it up and look at it during class. The lamination keeps it from getting ruined.

Thanks

Here are a few more that I wrote out. I was hoping a few more people might have a list of their own.

Drills

• Technique Races – Doing techniques across the floor.
    • Back to back standing – Sit back to back, lock arms (or not) then stand up. Try it in threes.
    • Practice doing kicks using dynamic tension or just who can hold it the longest.
    • Resistance - One person makes fist, the other put your hand on the punch and push until the punch is extended completely.

Stance Drills

• Face each other in forward bow – put palms together and push.
    • Forward bow – put hands on each other’s shoulders and push.
    • Same with Horse stance – first to push the other off balance wins
    • Both in forward bow, one behind the other – one puts hands on partner’s waist and pushes for prescribed time. If you resist, you win or if you move your partner, you win.

Environmental Training with techniques
    • Train with shoes on.
    • Outside
    • Carrying a purse or backpack.
    • In a confined area.
    • In the semi-darkness

Creating Techniques – Have each student pick a technique, then change one or more of the strikes to create new techniques.

Grafting – Start with one technique, then show how it can graft into a new technique.
    • Delayed sword into five swords
    • Delayed sword to sword of destruction
    • Checking the storm to crossing talon

Technique line with no prescribed attack.
    Last edited by amylong; 01-10-2006 at 07:17 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (04-09-2007)

Thanks

All of these are great. Keep em coming.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

I hope you don't mind but these are now in my notebook! LOL!

Here's a couple we like to do:

Multi-Attacker Drill: Especially good if you have an odd number of students (like 3 or 9 etc). One student stands between a student to approximately 3:00 with a focus mit and one student to approximately 9:00 with a kicking shield. The student in the middle executes a rear twist with a back knuckle stike to the focus mit then explodes out of the twist executing a side kick to the kicking shield. 20 reps each side.

Spontaneaity Drills: (1) Student A attacks (unannounced/whatever attack that occurs naturally)- Student B Defends (depending on type of attack) analyze what occured and make adjustments to defense if necessary to be effective. Repeat the adjusted sequence at least 10 times then have Student B execute a counter attack (again unannounced) and Student A defends (depending on the type of counter attack.) Again, analyze what occured, make any necessary adjustments, and repeat entire sequence. You can mix up the sequence for more advanced students. For instance, Instead of Attack-Defend-Attack-Defend... you could Attack, Attack-Defend, Defend or Attack-Defend-Attack, Attack-Defend, Defend..etc.

(2) Requires at least 5 students. Student stands with uke's at 10, 11, 1, and 2 0'clock. The instructor stands behind the student, out of sight, and signals the uke's to attak unnannounced. The student is not aware of which uke is attacking or what type of attack is coming. You can even signal 2 or more uke's to attack at once for the more advanced students.

Footwork & Postioning: using a heavy bag or holding a kicking sheild have students form a line. Each student advances with a front forward crossover executing a side snap kick to bag/shield the covers out and returns to the back of the line. Run through the sequence starting from a right neutral bow then switch and run through from a left neutral bow.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

...forgot one...

This is our version of a torture drill:

Student A holds focus mit as Student B executes a two-punch combo then settles deep (as if doing squats) as Student A swings focus mit head level. Studen B leaps upward executing a front snap kick. (student A may want to wear a chest protector)

Really makes the thighs burn. =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Use Thai pads, or other heavy pads on the arms. The instructor calls out combinations and the person with the pads moves them to take the strikes. Not defensive, but to give targets for the striker. Strikes are full force. Combinations can get fairly long, and done repetitively is a good workout for basics, endurance, targeting, throwing combinations, ... actually a pretty complete workout. Best to run through each combo slowly first until you have some experience at this. The pad man has to move the pads quickly into position while the striker is working, and improper placement can put a lot of strain on joints or cause you to eat a pad.

Thanks

Woo Hoo!

With all that talent out there, I KNEW some other people had some great drills. Hello Laminator!

I love having new drills. I used some of the new drills at class the other night and it just made the class fly along. People were sweating, smiling and learning something.

Can't wait to see more!!

--Amy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,559 Times in 2,171 Posts

That's an impressive list! One drill that is pretty common in our group classes is putting together a mass attack technique. It forces the student to use individual movement in a technique that is not part of their belt material which helps with spontaneity and understanding movement, not just a technique. It works quite well with working with lower ranking students. I'll throw together a 2 or 3 man attack and push them through it in about 10 minutes. The movement stays pretty basic because of this but still takes the student out of their comfort zone and forces them to react more and think less.

Thanks

Any more good drills?

My favorite is the circle drill. You have one person stand in a circle of people. The person faces one person who the attacks with a random attack, as soon as you are done defending against the attack, the next person attacks, until you have worked your way through the entire circle. This drill really builds spontaneity.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

Thanks

We call that one 'Ninja in the middle'

I've posted my list of drills.

Anyone have any interesting warm-up drills?

I like having people do the half-jacks or the jumping jacks with punches instead. And then I laugh because they can't do it.

Not callously. They think it's funny too.

The important thing when teaching is that I am amused.

--Amy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,559 Times in 2,171 Posts

Students at our school pretty much know that they should be warm and stretched at the beginning of class. We typically start all group classes with forward snap kicks and rear kicks. For upper body, I like to warm up with a punching drill in a horse stance. Students typically take a group class before tactical advancement class (belt techniques class), so they are nice and warm already.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Wow! What a great list, I plan on using a bunch of this. I copied and saves this as "jackpot bonanza drill list" Thanks so much.

One of my favorite warm up's is to play a simple game of tag. Hand tag, foot tag, freeze tag.... whatever. It sort of brings out the kid in people...a room full of adults all of a sudden are 10 years old again and it seems to put everyone in a happy place. I like to do it when it seems like the energy level is low before class.
    "I dont know if you know this but......I am kind of a big deal. I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogony" Ron Burgandy

Thanks

That's a great idea. I might do something like that. I like to throw in a few sort of goofy things once in awhile to make people laugh.

If nothing else, it makes them glad they came and that's a good incentive to come back.

What I find weird about teaching is that it's in some ways like parenting: I realize that I have to show them everything.

If they only come to my class and I haven't shown them twist stances, then they don't know twist stances.

I started to run through kicking set the other day and I realized I hadn't taught them side thrust kicks yet, so I had to back up and start with that. Ugh.

--Amy

Thanks

Amy Long- Great topic! I can tell you all must be great instructors with all these ideas on preparing and teaching your students.

Here is my .02

Tennis Ball Drill(s)- Get a bunch of tennis balls and have your student stand against a wall in a fighting/sparring stance as you toss the balls at them. The student can practice punching or kicking them or just moving out of the way. For younger kids you can also have them try to catch them. Grwat for hand eye coordination, footwork, and focus when striking. Not to mention how fun it is for the kids--- We start slow and are lobbing them (not fastballs by any means).

Variation- Instructor at one end of the dojo 1 student at the other- the goal is for the student to block/parry/catch the balls as they move towards the instructor. Incorporating shoulder rolls is great also--- The higher the rank or older the student and you can have more than one person throwing the balls
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks

This really is a great thread and hopefully the list of drills will continue to grow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links