Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got my blue belt tonight!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default I got my blue belt tonight!

I had no idea it was coming...

We were practicing defenses against weapon attacks, he had a stick and a rubber knife and a plastic gun and was attacking us each in class, routine blocking drills and such, then, during my turn he all of a sudden attcked me harder, took me to the ground and we start really going at it, I was playing nice then he started slapping me in the head, kicking me in the kidneys and stuff so I started getting mean back...the whole rest of the class all backed off the mat and just watched...we went at it for what felt like 10 hours...probably 15 minutes in reality...we started throwing elbows and stuff, really getting nasty, I didn't know what thehell was going on I just fought back and it got more and more brutal.

I was completely gassed, I tapped, but not from a choke (tho it was close) more cuz I was tired, he must have known I was just tired, but he said, "oh, no, no taps, explode, fight back", my wife started yelling at him cuz my nose started bleeding and everybody saw how gassed I was...he told my wife to back off (she is still sitting in the livingroom watching TV all pissed off) he pushed me a couple minutes past what I thought my limit was, but I kept going, with what little I had left...then he got off me and said "nice work, stand up...NOW" so I slowly stand up, and he says "hit me, hit me" I have no energy, but hit him with what I had left a few times...

He reaches out his hand to shake mine with a smile and says "congrats, you are a blue belt, believe me, you earned it".

whoa, what an experience...man, am I going to be sore tomorrow...

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: I got my blue belt tonight!

Pop Quiz!

Congrats on the promotion.

Thanks

Congrats
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

holy crap, my muscles are getting more sore by the minute...time to go take some ibruprofin...preventative maintainence

Thanks

CONGRAT'S
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

All I can say is WOW! Do you train like that all the time... maybe time to invest in kleenex for all the bloody noses... and he told your wife to back off? Nice. oh and congrats!

Peace,

Donna

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

All I can say is WOW! Do you train like that all the time... maybe time to invest in kleenex for all the bloody noses... and he told your wife to back off? Nice. oh and congrats!
    Yeah, our training is considered pretty tough by some schools, my instructor is very "old school", which I like. It's hard, it hurts sometimes, but the way I see it there is really no way to learn to defend yourself and fight without fighting...

Actually, that was the second bloody nose I have had this week, the other was from Kickboxing on sparring night...

He told her to back off as nice as he could given the situation...she thought I was being choked, I wasn't I was just tired...later last night she said she just jumped up and yelled at him by instinct, didn't even really realize she did it until it was over...kinda cool actually...on the outside I was saying "I'm fine, don't worry" on the inside I was saying "yeah, baby, that's my girl!"

Now this morning I am waking up saying "damn, my muscles are sore" on the inside and outside...still, that test, as brutal as it was, was probably the best lesson I have had yet, I had little light bulbs going off in my head the whole time...it wasn't pretty forms or smooth techniques, it was survival...he got more shots at me than I did at him, but I still landed a handful of good ones.

I now realize that as much as I've learned in the last many months and as far as I've come, there is still so much more to learn, learning pretty techniques is one thing, going hand on with a willing partner is another, but practical application on full speed assaults is something else entirely...

Oh, hey, and I got me kenpotalk.com yellow belt...two belts in one weekend...w00t!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I'm sure your instructor is well intentioned and has your best interests at heart. However, kicks to the kidneys, full contact strikes to the head and bloody noses sans sparring gear would not be tolerated in the schools I have attended. To each his own.

Old school, I don't mind, like to feel it, I do. Like to feel the techniques and the applications of those "pretty" forms. How else would I know they worked if and when i need them. As long as you can get out of bed and get to your day job.

Peace Twist,

Donna

Thanks

its nice to see some "old school" type training. there are a lot of folks out there that have a false sense of their abilities because of the lightweight nature of their training.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    its nice to see some "old school" type training. there are a lot of folks out there that have a false sense of their abilities because of the lightweight nature of their training.
    Exactly...

honestly, I don't think it was "full contact", it was hard, and it was brutal, felt full contact to me, but I am guessing my instrctor had a bigger can of whoopass that he could have opened...I guess thats for green...

One thing my instructor is very good at is keeping it just 2 steps above whoever he is goin' with to push the envelope just enough to help the student keep progressing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Congratulations on the blue belt.

I have used the surprise test method in the past. It can be a great way to get the pressure going to get their mind reeling just like it would in a self defense situation. Other times I do teh formal testing where I sit back on my chair with my pen and thier books. This produces a different kind of pressure which can also be beneficial.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Congratulations on the blue belt.

I have used the surprise test method in the past. It can be a great way to get the pressure going to get their mind reeling just like it would in a self defense situation. Other times I do teh formal testing where I sit back on my chair with my pen and thier books. This produces a different kind of pressure which can also be beneficial.
    there is nothing like being put on the spot under a scrutinizing eye to make your mind go blank.....lol

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz
    there is nothing like being put on the spot under a scrutinizing eye to make your mind go blank.....lol
    true, having an open hand flying at your noggin really puts a different slant on the whole thought process too...sheesh...the more I think about the more intense of an experience that was...he just called me to see how I was feeling...I just said "eh, a little banged up"...in a few minutes he'll see me moving pretty slowly bringing my daughters to their classes...

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: I got my blue belt tonight!

Congrats bro! I think the impromtu ones are the best! Most instructors have "tested" their students on the floor long before a formal test anyways! Good job! Now hit the greens with a passion!
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

OK, woke up this morning, feeling a lot better, my back, between my shoulders is still a bit sore, but not bad, I think I'll go to class today...

Most instructors have "tested" their students on the floor long before a formal test anyways!
    Yeah, thats what I figred, an instructor knows his students and where they are at...I gotta admit though, so far testing has gotten harder and harder on this old body...green kinda scares me, cuz Blue was really hard...it was more my mind that was weakening in that fight though...gotta remember that as I train...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

That's really great man!!! Good going!
    That kind of "Heart" is what it takes.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Excellent Wrist~! I'm glad you're feeling better and back into the swing
    Those are the best kinda tests eh ~
    Congrats~!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

The ride in to work today I reflected a little bit on my rather eventful weekend...the more I get into Kenpo (or, martial arts in general really) the more interesting I find it...my surprise blue belt test on Friday night, as I see it now, was more of a mental test. My instructor sees me 3-4 times a weeks for 2-3 hours each visit...he knows my physical capabilities, so why bother testing that I suppose. While I may be wrong here, I am seeing it as he was testing my mind on Friday pushing me a bit beyond my mental breaking point. We all have one, he found mine, I'll grant you that, but at the same time I am proud of how long I went before my mind just said "Ok, that's enough".

My wife, on the other hand, thinks it's insane. I am not sure if she thinks my instructor is mean or that I am stupid/crazy, but I presume it's a little bit of both. She loves learning the techniques and theories, she loves the physical workout and likes the hand on work, but the full(ish) speed high contact stuff kinda looses her interest...which I can see, it's not for everybody. She was bothered, since she was in class she watched it and later said it was very hard...I didn't see it but she said she ended up walking into the bathroom and waited for it to be over.

All in all, I have to say, that was one of the most intense, physically and mentally demanding moments of my life in memory...and have nothing else to think about it other than, bring on the greens. I am growing mentally and physically tougher all the time, so I would suspect I'll be ready when the time comes to be pushed to my next breaking point....hopefully it's a few minutes and a few bruises longer.

Thanks for reading my ramblings and thanks for all your encouragement and well wishes. Due to other responsiblities I have to take a couple days out of the gym, but plan to return Wednesday and hit it hard. I went to yesterdays class, still a little banged up and sore, but it felt great to be on the mat with my pretty new belt.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Congrats

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WristTwist
    My instructor sees me 3-4 times a weeks for 2-3 hours each visit...he knows my physical capabilities, so why bother testing that I suppose. While I may be wrong here, I am seeing it as he was testing my mind on Friday pushing me a bit beyond my mental breaking point. We all have one, he found mine, I'll grant you that, but at the same time I am proud of how long I went before my mind just said "Ok, that's enough".

All in all, I have to say, that was one of the most intense, physically and mentally demanding moments of my life in memory...
    i used to see my teacher with about the same frequency. he used to push us students to our physical limits and beyond every class. while it was hard to endure sometimes, it was nothing like the times he pushed you mentally and physically.
    those were the times that really tested your mettle and made you question whether you were cut out for that kind of stuff. he went places with you that you probably wouldnt go with anyone else.
    i wouldnt trade it for anything; it's nice to see that similar training is out there.
    if my spouse at the time had seen what went on, she would have wanted me to quit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links