Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Aid

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 798 Posts

Default First Aid

Who all has first aid training as a requirement at their school, or atleast has the school offer to bring in a first aid instructor to certify those looking for the training.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: First Aid

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Who all has first aid training as a requirement at their school, or atleast has the school offer to bring in a first aid instructor to certify those looking for the training.
    I got regestered in first aid but it was from my middle school when I was the president of the Jr. American Red Cross. We do not do this at my studio.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I guess I have not worried about first aid too much in my school other the acquiring a first aid kit. I was a certified Emergency Medical Technition. I was also a combat medic and ultimately a practical nurse in the US Army so I am not too worried about treatment when me and John are teaching class. I used to regularly teach CPR and first aid to the county sheriff's department and I guess I could impliment something like that to offer to interested students at some point in time. I would probably wait untill our school has more members and a significant growth in size. Good topic.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

yeah...what he said.... (BTW: Awesome pic of you and the girls Brian!!!)

I know that Brian is much more UP on the CPR/First Aid than I am. Due to my career I've got to maintain my Red Cross certification every year for the last 13.... so I know my stuff. While back Brian and I talked about this and just hadn't really brought it up again....but I'd like it to be a requirement in our school for Brown and up to obtain and maintain their cert as well.

ALSO: Something I'd like to do in the school with this. I have a couple of "First Responder" friends (Firemen) who do some of the training through the Red Cross. I've talked to them (over a year ago now) about coming to the school and teaching the clases and giving the cert test for First Aid/CPR in our school. School members, their family and members of the community could come in and take the course at our school.... thus we'd be doing a service for the community AND.....well...........showing them our Karate school.

HEY....I know, right before we go into working on making the arm slings I can put on a short Kenpo Demo and do 'snapping limb' on Brian!!
    Wadaya say old man?
    Take one for the team??

hahaha....

Yeah...good topic Rob.
    Your Brother (snap open the smelling salts)
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

I know a few instructors who have this an optional requirement for 3rd brown, and make it mandatory if you want to be an assistant in the school.

In 2001 when the wife and I lived down south and had the fuill time school, one of my students was a St. Johns First Aid Instructor and offered a two day crash course at the school for only $20 a head. I am hoping to find someone up here to do the same type of thing.
    Last edited by Rob Broad; 12-02-2005 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks

On a side note with thread what is the worst injury you have had in your school.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Torn ACL

Mine
    While testing a student!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I have taken CPR/First aid several times. I heard this week that they just changed the procedure. They made adult and child breaths the same. Also greatly increasing the breaths to compresion ratio.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Worst Injury was probably Cellulitis.. I was kicked by a University student in the shin. It hurt pretty bad but didn't break the skin. Next morning my lower leg was Bright red, with lovely lines going upwards and swollen twice its size. Immediate trip to the ER where the docs examined me and drew lots of blood and immediately started me on a Heperin Lock. I had to go in daily for an IV Antibiotic treatment.. I've had plenty of broken bones (actually broke my big toe last night during sparring).. but that Cellulitis was the worst pain of them all.

Thanks

I have never been serioiusly heart yet. Knock on wood. I have been jard in the head a few times especially when I was sparing with Mr. Karl Petro.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Worst injury: Probably mine. I broke my arm practicing a flying double front kick.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Two nights ago I blocked a thai kick with my leg, shin against shin...argh, it's all black and blue and nasty lookin today...hurt like hell. My gym has a lot of fat lips, black eyes and junk, but nothing serious yet...

Thanks

i think its in the best interest of every instructor planning on opening a school to study some kind of first aid. this isnt something new either......resuscitation techniques go way back and were apart of some ryu's teaching's, examples might be kuatsu and seifukujutsu.

Thanks

Over the years I have done some dumb things in the dojo, like the time I cut my thigh with a sword, or the time I turned around an took a bo to my eyebrow, or my absolute favorite is the night my student dropped their sai and it punctured my shoe and went between my toes.

The worst injury we have had where a student was hurt was a broken nose, that required a couple surgeries. But in everycase there was someone immediately administering first aid.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: First Aid

I think the worse that I ever trained with was a broken hand. John and Jeremy took a few unwarranted shots from a hard cast a few times lol
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I do it for my school. I went through the training on my own and I am certified in all catagories. but this was on my own doing my school does not require it at all.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

My instructors idea of first aid is looking at you and saying "suck it up, get back on the mat"

Thanks

We have a lot more members so I figured this would be a good thread to bring to the fore front again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

Very good idea to have first aid training. We havne't focused on it as much as we should. Probably because we have a lot of students that work at the local hospital and with local law enforcement that have the appropriate training.

Worst injuries? I can think of some cases of broken noses, broken ribs, broken fingers, and broken toes. But no major breaks. Busted lips are routine. I've hyperextended my knee before. The worst one I can remember happened during a students green belt test. Bill hurt his knee doing an airborne combo (landed wrong.) We were going to stop the test, but Bill wanted to finish. Being he's a certified paramedic we trusted his judgement. He wrapped it with ace bandages and then pulled two elbow pads over that in a makeshift brace and finished the test. We found out the next day that he tore his ACL completely away!! He had to have surgery and PT and was out for 6 months. But he's not a quitter and now we're preparing him to test for 1st Brown. Talk about indomitable spirit!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 3,547 Times in 2,161 Posts

We don't require training but I've been pushing to have the instructor group put through CPR training. It looks like it's going to happen.

I started as an EMT in '81, am still an EMT and did 9 years as a paramedic somewhere in the middle. I've been called on a number of times while at the school.

Worst I can think of is blown knees and twisted ankles. We've got a pizza parlor across the parking lot that is very used to us coming over and asking for a bag of ice. I did have one student who refused to kiai and would tighten up when he moved. I ended up calling my boys over to the school when he stimualted his vagus nerve and dropped. He quit shortly after that. I had another student with a seizure disorder that used to just stop moving during class, like he'd suddenly been unplugged. A minute later, his head would come up, he'd look around and walk off the mat. Very interesting keeping class going while he was just standing there. He ended up dropping in the middle of the street during a 4th of July parade. Just so happened that it occurred right in front of the judges stand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links