Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharing Kenpo with your spouse

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Sharing Kenpo with your spouse

When I started studying Kenpo Karate under Mr. Roger W. Taylor, I started with my wife. It was Great!!! Finally sharing my passion (martial arts) with Melissa. Granted, she wasn't as "taken" as I was. Every week, once or twice a week, we'd go to Mr. Taylors home for private lessons that'd last for 2-3 hours. Those were some really great days.
    Later, right before she could test for her Orange Belt, she got pregnant with our second child, LeighAnn. Melissa stopped Kenpo early as she could hardly keep food down for a while and by the time she could, she was big and Round...not wanting to risk a thing. That was the end of her Kenpo experience. She did gain from it...but mostly did it to share something with me that was important to me....it wasn't nearly as important to her. I'm glad that she got those solid basics down pat though, I can't always be there with her ya know. Plus, now when I talk to her about Kenpo, martial arts in general or what's going on down at our school....she knows what I'm talking about... and as extremely intelligent as she IS, she knows more about it than I'd think an Orange Belt would. I really miss doing Kenpo together, but she's focused on our family and doing well in her career....both of which have really done great! She occasionally talks about getting back in and earning at least 2-3 more belts. Sometimes she fantasizes about earning her Black. I love those fantasies! But it hasn't panned out. I suppose that when she wants it bad enough....it will pan out. That's the thing about the martial arts..............ya gotta WANT it.

What about everyone here?
    Have you gotten the opportunity to share the martial arts / Kenpo with your husband or wife??
    What's that been like? How does it work between you? Were you BOTH martial artists before you met each other, or did one influence the other...like with Melissa and I?
    Do you share martial arts goals?...or are yours different?
    Is one of you THE instructor and the other the student, are you both students or both instructors?
    Do problems in your life outside the gym/studio creep into the gym/studio? The other way around?

Let us know, lets talk about it.
    Our families are such a crucial, central part of our life!! How does your home life affect your Kenpo Journey and how does the journey impact your home life??

I can't wait to see what you all say!!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

Default Re: Sharing Kenpo with your spouse

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    When I started studying Kenpo Karate under Mr. Roger W. Taylor, I started with my wife. It was Great!!! Finally sharing my passion (martial arts) with Melissa. Granted, she wasn't as "taken" as I was. Every week, once or twice a week, we'd go to Mr. Taylors home for private lessons that'd last for 2-3 hours. Those were some really great days.
    Later, right before she could test for her Orange Belt, she got pregnant with our second child, LeighAnn. Melissa stopped Kenpo early as she could hardly keep food down for a while and by the time she could, she was big and Round...not wanting to risk a thing. That was the end of her Kenpo experience. She did gain from it...but mostly did it to share something with me that was important to me....it wasn't nearly as important to her. I'm glad that she got those solid basics down pat though, I can't always be there with her ya know. Plus, now when I talk to her about Kenpo, martial arts in general or what's going on down at our school....she knows what I'm talking about... and as extremely intelligent as she IS, she knows more about it than I'd think an Orange Belt would. I really miss doing Kenpo together, but she's focused on our family and doing well in her career....both of which have really done great! She occasionally talks about getting back in and earning at least 2-3 more belts. Sometimes she fantasizes about earning her Black. I love those fantasies! But it hasn't panned out. I suppose that when she wants it bad enough....it will pan out. That's the thing about the martial arts..............ya gotta WANT it.

What about everyone here?
    Have you gotten the opportunity to share the martial arts / Kenpo with your husband or wife??
    What's that been like? How does it work between you? Were you BOTH martial artists before you met each other, or did one influence the other...like with Melissa and I?
    Do you share martial arts goals?...or are yours different?
    Is one of you THE instructor and the other the student, are you both students or both instructors?
    Do problems in your life outside the gym/studio creep into the gym/studio? The other way around?

Let us know, lets talk about it.
    Our families are such a crucial, central part of our life!! How does your home life affect your Kenpo Journey and how does the journey impact your home life??

I can't wait to see what you all say!!

Your Brother
    John
    Am I the only single person here?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

What about your girlfriend?
    ...share Kenpo with her??

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Me, my wife and my 4 and 7 year old daughters all take Kenpo, of course the girls and wife only take 3 hours or so a week...I take a bit more than that, but, yes, many times, on the nights between classes we are all down in the basement practicing techniques taking turns being the teacher (the 7 year old loves being teacher ) My 4 year old is mostly at a motor skills development stage and doing only the simplest techniques, but I am still amazed at what a four year old can do...I soooo underestimate little kids sometimes.

We've all gotten in better shape, have fun doing it, and have something to share at home. it's been a great blessing to our family. Of course, me having the more addictive personality of the family, have gotten much more "into it" but we all have great fun.

Thanks

What about your girlfriend?
    ...share Kenpo with her??

Your Brother
    John
    LOL, there we go that is better. I have tried teaching her yellow belt techniques and it went over great. But now both of us have been really busy with school and all. Hopefully during the break we can start back up again. She said she likes it, but as you said there is not the same pasion for her in it as me. But I tell you one thing she can hit a lot harder now, I have a feeling I have just made her more lethal. LOL.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Am I the only single person here?
    Just you and me buddy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Kai
    Just you and me buddy!
    LOL. Ok I was scared there for a second.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I met my wife while working out in a friends school. I was sparring with one of his top students and she inadvertently step on the mat.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hey there All,

I always swore I wouldn't show any girl I dated anything. The one thing I didn't want to do is train in the same school with some one I was dating. It just gets weird if both decide to seperate and both stay in the school ( on the average, I am sure there are some exceptions ).

When I met my wife she had said that she always wanted to try it. So I brought her to a few classes and she signed right up. That was quite a few years ago now and she is on the cusp of taking her proficiency test. Kinda nice to know that she has come along way in her performance of the art and as a person.

Guess I was wrong.

Regards,
    Walt

My wife performing an arresting technique on the spawn of Satan!

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kroh

My wife performing an arresting technique on the spawn of Satan!
    Yeah we USED to have a cat untill I caught it sucking the soul out of my children in their sleep MUUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Yeah we USED to have a cat untill I caught it sucking the soul out of my children in their sleep MUUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    My wife is a vet and that cat was a rescue. It came into the house and decided it wanted to be king. The two other cats and the dogs have other ideas but he is still content to cause trouble with everyone.

I am currently in negotiations with the dogs to bump him off in return for a little extra at meal time every day.

I'll keep you posted.
    Regards,
    Walt

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kroh
    My wife is a vet and that cat was a rescue. It came into the house and decided it wanted to be king. The two other cats and the dogs have other ideas but he is still content to cause trouble with everyone.

I am currently in negotiations with the dogs to bump him off in return for a little extra at meal time every day.

I'll keep you posted.
    Regards,
    Walt
    just make sure the dog gets the job done right the frist time

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

About a year and a half ago, our daughter brough in a sickly kitten. We got it taken care of and it is one of Satan's kittens. I tried to talk the dog into eating it, but they bonded.......

Back on topic, my daughter trained with me until about purple belt and my wife (Kenpo Tess) is working on second black.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

no matter how much i try......my wife has no interest.....im tenacious though, one day she will say yes and give it a go.

Thanks

I am trying to get Melissa to get back into classes.
    Sometimes she seems to be warm to the idea.... other times not. One issue is Child care. Who'll watch the two kids while she's in class? That's tricky, especially on a low budget. (Believe me, LOW budget)

I hope she does some time. It'd mean a lot to me to share this with her.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Im evey luck my wife does train in martial arts .
    her frist art been tai chi .

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I am trying to get Melissa to get back into classes.
    Sometimes she seems to be warm to the idea.... other times not. One issue is Child care. Who'll watch the two kids while she's in class? That's tricky, especially on a low budget. (Believe me, LOW budget)
    Yeah, that can make it tough, where I train they have a little play area where my kids sit and play with other kids or read books or watch videos while we train, which is cool.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

My daughter has trained with Brother John and I combined for a few years now. It is nice to have John in class teaching sometimes because I can back out of "dad mode" and just have fun. I think I have a tendacy to be a bit too hard on her though being her father.

Believe it or not my near 50 year old mother comes in to train at the school. She enjoys it from what I can see.

Incidentally my wife has ZERO interest in "that karate stuff" I gave up that ghost a ling time ago. hahaha
    www.hunterskarate.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

My wife had gastric bypass surgery this past July, and so far has lost almost 80lbs. One of her goal is to get back into class. We are hoping she will be able to return to classes by summer.

We met in a friends school, and had a blast and even though she is a beginner it was still something we shared. Health issues have stopped her from particiapting in classes since November of 2000. Heres to hoping next year at this time she will be back in class.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Sharing Kenpo with your spouse

Congrats to your wife on her weightloss! It can be a hard struggle for some. I lost about 72 lbs a year ago and it was a daily fight. I have gained 15 lbs of it back but have managed to keep steadt at that weight. Hopefully that will help some of her other health problems! Wish her luck!
    www.hunterskarate.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links