Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharing Kenpo with your spouse

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Sharing Kenpo with your spouse

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Congrats to your wife on her weightloss! It can be a hard struggle for some. I lost about 72 lbs a year ago and it was a daily fight. I have gained 15 lbs of it back but have managed to keep steadt at that weight. Hopefully that will help some of her other health problems! Wish her luck!
    Thank you and I will pass on your well wishes to her.

Ithas been a very hard couple of months since the surgery, she fell when recooping at the cottage and ripped out some stictches, and now has a hernia at her incision. But she is till feeling better than she did before the surgery.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Sorry to hear about the post op miss happs Rob. Congrats to her on getting it done though and lots of well wishes for a speedy recovery.

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

Up here it was a 4yr waiting list to get the surgery, and with no counselling before hand. It has been tough. And for someone with a Zero Pain tolerance probably it is tougher.

After a surgery like this it is a complete re-learning process, How to eat, what to eat, how long it is supposed to take for a meal. But she bought a new uniform, and she says when she can fit in it she will come to class.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

WOw....
    tough ordeal Rob.
    Hernias.....man, I know about them. God Bless'er.

Brian:
    You do well for your daughter! Don't worry about being too tough on her. Sure, you hold high expectations and standards.....but you and I deal everyday with people who, while growing up, didn't have anyone expecting Anything from them...and look where it's gotten them (Brian's in Law enforcement, I'm in criminal corrections). She LOVES you a great deal and strives to rise to meet your standards for her. I've watched her struggle to improve and I've watched her IMPROVE, watched her eyes light up and I can count every single one of her braces when she knows she's made you proud. I hope I can do as well for my kids once they commit to coming to class. You have every right to brag about that young lady!!!

Speaking of her folks... She's taking after her dad in other ways too. Almost every chance she gets she draws me a picture. Not bad at all for a young'n either. I have two of them in my binder that I keep my belt manuals in, on it she wrote: "Mr. Haag (that's my last name folks, Haag) thank you for teaching me more about Kenpo. I love it!"

THAT, along with pictures of my own kids, keeps me tying on that belt every class I can....even on the sore and tired nights.

Your Brother (full of warm and fuzzy........)
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

If you look at Brian's picture, she's the older one on the Right. Her name's Aspen.
    She's a sweet girl and good person...
    BUT: if you tease her about having braces, she'll kick yer kneecap to your nose!!!

"Even the beautiful rose has thorns to keep the beasts at bay."

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

When she was my girlfriend, my wife sugested we take a martial arts class. So we did and now here I am. SHe ket up with class for a year, earning her orange belt.

At the time we were with a different teacher than I am now. Mary (my wife) found it very unrewarding. He really didn't challenge us - we rarely broke sweat or felt real pressure to perform the techniques under stress. That was how he wanted his classes to be, he told me so, so taht he wouldn't scare people off. That turned out to not be such a good idea, as he is no longer in business.

Now, the school I am at seems to be offering all of the things she said would have kept her in class... but she won't come back. Some lame excuse aobut being too busy with a full-time job and nursing school... But really I think she won't get back into it because I am so obsessed with Kempo that I have completely driven her nuts with anything and everything to do with Martial Arts.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Silly nursing school...

My wife is the same way as she is taking time off for a certification exam in the veterinary field....

HOW DARE SHE take time off to study hard and work toward something that will earn her more money and respect in her chosen field!?!

That's it...I'm laying the law down! SHe is going back to Class...
    Right after I figure out a way to demand it nicely

Regards,
    Walt

Thanks

Bob and I have done some training together. Not in the same classes during his 4 weeks of kenpo, but in Arnis we were together.

When I was ready to quit kenpo after being burned out, he encouraged me to stay until I got my black belt. When I unsure of going back as an instructor after being away for over a year, he told me to go for it.

As far as how it affects our relationship...well, it gives us something else to talk about ...

(Man, I LOVE this smilie extention in firefox - w00t!)
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

My ex-GF was a green in EPAK when I meet her. She loved the art and it was her life. Six days a week, working at the school, tournements, the works. I hung out at the studio waiting for her and got to know some of the people. The way they moved and interacted made me want to do the MAs. As we dated she feel off the wagon as it was, and eventually stopped training. We parted ways, but now the MAs is MY life and I belive she passed that to me. How I ended up a Hapkidoian...well, that's another story
    James D. "Vaudeville" Maxwell
    Missoula, Montana

"Flow without direction is spary"
    C. Crews

The IKKO WILL take over the world, the Golden One will have his reckoning. Prepare mere mortals, a wonderful begining awaits you all!

Thanks

That's funny I happened to read this today. My husband just decided yesterday that he wants to learn some kenpo.

I'm giving him his first lesson tonight. I've been doing kenpo for 26 years on and off and since it's such an important part of my life and he's finally figured out that it's not a 'hobby' that will go away, I guess he figured that if he can't beat 'em, he might as well join 'em.

It will be interesting to see how it goes.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Last night I gave my husband his first lesson. He did really well!

He wasn't sure if I was just blowing smoke up his keister telling him that, but he really did do well. As it turns out, the firing stance he learned for shooting (he was a probation officer) is the same as a neutral bow.

He was amazed at all the info he got in the first lesson. If possible, I like to give students an intro that lasts at least a half-hour to 45 min. and I try to cram in as many basics as possible so they can join class more easily.

It's really frustrating when I don't get a chance to do that. I can see that the students have more trouble following along if I don't.

He's already looking forward to his next lesson. I thought it would be weird to teach him, but I put on my teacher's hat and he put on his student hat and it was just like teaching anyone else.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Last night I gave my husband his first lesson. He did really well!

He wasn't sure if I was just blowing smoke up his keister telling him that, but he really did do well. As it turns out, the firing stance he learned for shooting (he was a probation officer) is the same as a neutral bow.

He was amazed at all the info he got in the first lesson. If possible, I like to give students an intro that lasts at least a half-hour to 45 min. and I try to cram in as many basics as possible so they can join class more easily.

It's really frustrating when I don't get a chance to do that. I can see that the students have more trouble following along if I don't.

He's already looking forward to his next lesson. I thought it would be weird to teach him, but I put on my teacher's hat and he put on his student hat and it was just like teaching anyone else.

--Amy
    Hi Amy!

That is totally awesome! Sounds like you gave him a great intro! Sometimes it can be difficult doing the teacher student thing with a spouse!

Pete and I trained together for 5 years in our old school, then we both went onto different paths (kenpo wise), which has been great too! We get to share a ton of information with one another and experiment with lots of different variations. It's terrific having another kenpoist at arms length when you just need to try that technique one more time!!!!

Have fun Amy!

Peace,

Donna

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Very disapppointed here but my wife is going to drop out of Kenpo. She had a somewhat botched up c-section 4 years ago and her stomach has never been the same. Given the old-school, hard core nature of our training she has decided to get a fitness club membership instead and perhaps take up Yoga and do some strength training for a while, perhaps return after some low impact, high strength building work for a few months.

I'm kinda bummed out about, that stomach thing has her mind so much against her...she's her own worst enemy. She has come so far, seems a shame to give it up.

Thanks

My wife had major stomach surgery, and worries about geting back in training because of what all she went through. We discussed things, and have decided to go with a foam rib guard to protect her.

In reality there s no reason for your wife to be hit hard in her training, the risk of injury is too great, she can still train with out taking hard impact, as long as she can dish it out.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    In reality there s no reason for your wife to be hit hard in her training, the risk of injury is too great, she can still train with out taking hard impact, as long as she can dish it out.
    Yeah, thats what I keep telling her. It's still a great workout and a valuable skill. I don't think she has completely made up her mind yet, but the rib guard idea is pretty good...might have to look in to that. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks

That's too bad about your wife. I agree that there's no reason she should be getting hit hard in the stomach. We don't hit each other really hard in our classes. At least not in the stomach.

I was talking to Lee Epperson at camp a few months ago and he said he had to cut way back on his kenpo because he got a detached retina from smacking heads hard.

I'm thinking, "So, why not stop smacking heads?" Just a thought. Same for your wife. She should just not allow herself to get smacked in the stomach. I'm sure her fellow students would completely understand.

Rib guards are good too.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Oh, don't get me wrong, she has not taken one single smack to the stomach (can't say the same for me) Everybody is very understanding and everything. It's the exersizes and conditioning partly, and partly because she knows at some point it WILL get more physical, so she is kind of putting the cart before the horse.

I think the hardest thing isn't the issue in her stomach as much in the issue in her head regarding her stomach, not the getting hit (cuz she has not) but the constant protective mental mind set she has about it. The fact she could even if by accident.

As far as taking smacks in general...well, this is a fighting art, in order to learn it you kind have to fight, which, well, kind entails getting hit...

Thanks

My wife studied Muay Thai with a personal trainer for a year or so, so we have interesting conversations...

She is pretty tough and she knows how to use those knees and elbows!

No more training for her though...

James
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

At the Downey, Ca. Kenpo studio, ca. 1965, Master Dimmick showed up for a class with two fingers in a splint. No one asked, but at the end of the session he sat us on the mat and told us that he and his wife had been practicing the night before (she was probably about orange level) and when he thrust his hand at her, she countered with a hand strike that went between his fingers, dislocating the ring and little finger. He then gave us a long lecture on the hazards of working out with wife/girlfriend, and being too sure of our "superiior" ability. He asked that we NEVER underestimate the ability of the person we are working with, which I was to learn the hard way in a one-on-one class with a female student in Arizona, a few years later.

Thanks

This thread is from the end of 2005. Wow, have times changed since then.

I have been lucky enough to have a Kenpo instructor who let my kids come to class (all five of them including the one with autisum) so that me and my bf at the time could train. I value that experiance highly and I miss that instructor so much. Funny how much the kids picked up from watching. They watched us in class and then watched us practice every night at home. We painted black lines on the back porch and spent hours together working out and going through the new techiques and working on forms. Those were great times.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Arizona Angel For This Useful Post:

Brother John (01-29-2009)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links