Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 798 Posts

Default Who

Who has been the most influential Kenpo Senior that you have had the opportunity to train with through either regular classes, seminar or camp.

Who else would like to see that you haven't had the opportunity to do a training session with yet.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: Who

Im gonna hafta say a boxing clinic Frank Trejo put on at Jeff Blay's camp. It made me more interested in sparring instead of just going thru the motions of it (or finding ways to avoid it all together).

I don't think there's anyone Id like to see the most...but I certaintly wouldn't turn down any opportunities to meet and learn from anyone
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Ed Parker, Huk Planas, Joe Palanzo, Frank Trejo and Bruce Juchnik, Rick Alemany, Ralph Castro

Thanks

Larry Tatum.

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Kai
    Ed Parker, Huk Planas, Joe Palanzo, Frank Trejo and Bruce Juchnik, Rick Alemany, Ralph Castro
    Is this a list of people you got to train with or would would like to train with.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,308 Posts

Besides My instructor the art I study has been most influanced by Mike Pick whom I've met, and Paul Mills whom I haven't met.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Kai
    Wow that’s an impressive list ......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 653 Posts

My instructor has been studying with Huk for 20 years or so.

I've done a few seminars and privates with Mr. Planas ... Each time, I learn a lot. But, I still haven't gone fishing with him yet. (We have traded fish tales though )

At the Revere Internationals in 2003, I was corrected by Frank Trejo. As a Green belt on that Sunday, I also worked with Mr. Valez, Mr. White & Mr. Whitson (I think).

After that day of seminars, I decided to not persue studying with other instructors (excluding Mr. Hogan & Mr. Planas) until I have progressed a bit further in my studies. At this point, I don't know what I don't know ... and some of the ideas introduced in Revere were in conflict with what I was learning. I really don't need any help getting confused.

Here's hoping Mr. Planas lives a long and healthy life, so that I can continue to work with him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Who has been the most influential Kenpo Senior that you have had the opportunity to train with through either regular classes, seminar or camp.

Who else would like to see that you haven't had the opportunity to do a training session with yet.
    Mr. Parker of course, Mr. Tom Kelly, Mr. Joe Palanzo, Mr. Frank Trejo, Mr. Larry Tatum, Mr. Huk Planas, Mr. Chuck Sullivan.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Is this a list of people you got to train with or would would like to train with.
    Have

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Outside of my instructor and Al Tracy, the person that has had the most profound influence on my training is Dr. Roger Greene. Followed closely by Ted Sumner and Ray Arquilla.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks

bruce juchnik has been my biggest influence.
    i would like to go to a seminar with ted sumner. i know its a different system, but he sounds like a great teacher.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I would have to say Dave Hebler for bringing Kenpo to Hillsboro. If it wasn't for him I'd prob be doing TKD or Ernie Rays. I was in one class with him before he retired. Wish I knew about Kenpo and that Mr. Hebler was there when I firsted moved to Or in 98'.

Most action would be with Mr. Sepulveda 2 seminars, was uke for the second. You really do learn more when you feel it
    This is how I wear my Kenpo suit. Still trying to learn how to put it on and it's a little wrinkled, but it is starting to feel pretty good on me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

People I've met and trained with..either by being their official 'student' or just at seminars, camps...etc.

Mr. Parker, met him when I was young....went to a seminar. It was great! Got me hooked.

Mr. Roger W. Taylor, 3rd Dan, student of Mr. Paul Mills, Mr. Tabatabai and Mr. Bruce Tomson (in reverse chronological order). He's the first man to take me on as a student in Kenpo........I'm a better person because I've known him, and a MUCH better martial artist! He was really a big inspiration to me.

Mr. Paul Mills, 10th Dan; President of the AKKI. Inspirational in every way! Not only getting the AKKI ball rolling and keeping it going strong, but inspiring and equiping Mr. Taylor...who handed the flame to me. IF you've not met him, DO.

Mr. John Connolly. A powerful martial artist, generous, extremely well informed and WELL trained in Kenpo!! Hard to find a nicer guy!

Mr. Alan Jacob. Knowledgeable, enthusiastic, SKILLED and an all around good person. Can get you really fired up for Kenpo, even over the phone.

People I've not met, but would like to:
    Mr. Pick. Mr. LaBounty. Mr. Wedlake. Mr. Trejo, Mr. Chapel.
    ...all Very different views of Kenpo....but they sound so very interesting to me.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I would love to train with:

SGM Ed Parker Sr. and Elvis. God bless their soul's

In no particular order I want to work with

Mr. Ed Parker Jr, Mr. Huk Planas, Mr. Zach Whitson, Mr. Ron "Doc" Chapél.

I haven't really trained with many seniors. I have been to two of George Dillman seminars. The lineage I was under before wasn't too supportive of some seniors. The lineage I have aligned myself with under Mr. Rob Broad in Mr. Steve Arsenault's East Coast Kenpo System is much more beneficial.
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

Thanks

I would would love to get a chance to attend seminars with everyone who is still with us that is featured inthe Journey.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Yeah, I'm with you Rob that would be cool.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Wow! Great Question. I have been very fortunate that I have had the opportunity to take classes or seminars with a some great Kenpo Senior Instructors. I feel that they all have had an effect on how I practice & view the techs or forms I know.

I think the most important thing to do, during these seminars is to keep an open mind to another instructor's view, there is so much to learn in Kenpo and no one person has all the answers! Some of the instructors I've trained with... in no particular order.

Mr. Bob Liles, Ms. Dian Tanaka, Mr. Larry Tatum, Mr. Tom Kelly, Mr. Joe Palanzo, Mr. Frank Trejo, Mr. Dave Hebler, Mr. Rainer Schulte, Mr. Huk Planas, Mr. Gil Velez, Mr. Sean Kelley and the infamous Mr. Clyde T. O'Briant.

Some great instructors that I've taken some classes with ...may not be seniors but just wonderful fountains of Kenpo knowledge and history. Mr. Juan Serrano, Dr. Robert Sprando, Mr. Lee Epperson and Mr. Edmund Parker, Jr.

Seems like there should be a few more women on this list!

Peace,

Donna

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Bruce Juchnik. Other seniors outside the kenpo family too.

Thanks

Since we have had so many new people join lately, I thougt it would be good to re-visit this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links