Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greetings. Quick question about Keith Curts

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Greetings. Quick question about Keith Curts

Keith Curts is the head instructor at a local "Tracy Kenpo" school not too far from me in Clinton Twp, MI.

I'm looking for information regarding his qualifications as his web site @ http://www.kenpo-shootfighting.com/home.asp is a little bare on his stuff. I traced him back and I know he received his BB in Kenpo (Tracy) but nothing else comes up.

Furthermore, when you visit the "World Headquarters" @ www.tracyskarate.com you realize it seems more like a Mcdojo trying to sell you stuff in their store or learn from their DVD sets.

Is this for real or should I move on? I'm looking for a street savvy art to complement my many years of Judo/Jujutsu (BB received from Mark Tripp) which has helped me handle a few altercations.

Thank you for your time.

- Mark

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Greetings. Quick question about Keith Curts

My goodness.

Mark, have you tried actually speaking with the instructor? Most instructors would be more than happy to give you their qualifications and their teacher/s. It seems to me that instead of insulting Mr. Tracy's site, you should actually look at it because it does have a wealth of information not available anywhere else on the web. His phone number is on the site, you may want to call, I am sure he knows the instructor's qualifications.
    "Fall seven times, stand up eight." Japanese proverb

"I've seen some cats do some crazy stuff like bending swords with their necks and breaking flaming bricks... thats great and all but can they fight?" *shrugs* Moses Powell

-Hank Colado

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KenpoHank For This Useful Post:

Brother John (11-02-2007),flying crane (11-03-2007),Martin Seck (11-04-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoHank View Post
    My goodness.

Mark, have you tried actually speaking with the instructor? Most instructors would be more than happy to give you their qualifications and their teacher/s. It seems to me that instead of insulting Mr. Tracy's site, you should actually look at it because it does have a wealth of information not available anywhere else on the web. His phone number is on the site, you may want to call, I am sure he knows the instructor's qualifications.
    Ditto!

That'd be the best policy. Hopefully, for your 'prospectings' sake he (nor his students) doesn't check THIS forum.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I wasn't trying to be insultive and I did write Keith Curts an email about the schedule and what I got back was a little disconcerting. I meant no disrespect, I just have a pretty straight forward approach at times.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    Ditto!

That'd be the best policy. Hopefully, for your 'prospectings' sake he (nor his students) doesn't check THIS forum.

Your Brother
    John
    Why should it matter if someone asks about a school and/or instructor? In any case, I got my answer through a couple PMs and will continue looking elsewhere.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

He was awarded Godan in 2002 by GM Al Tracy. He was awared 1st though 4th degree by Steve Finn in KY.

This info was on tracyskarate.com

Hope this was helpful,
    Why is abbreviate such a long word?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DocWolfe View Post
    Why should it matter if someone asks about a school and/or instructor? In any case, I got my answer through a couple PMs and will continue looking elsewhere.
    DocWolfe-
    Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. In the past we've had more than a few people who come on KenpoTalk and sort of invite us to 'trash' or speak badly of another school/association/instructor....whatever....., and nine times out of ten...it's their first post here..
    and ten times out of ten THOSE posts will say something along the lines of
    I'm thinking of getting together with Mr. #. Here's his website www.#.com ... look at it and tell me what you think.
    ...and they'll VERY often say something about "They kinda look like a McDojo, but I dunno..."
    We've Really got to be on the look out for people who do that, because we don't want to give them a platform to thumb their nose at their favorite enemy or competitor across town.

I apologize if I was abrasive toward you sir.
    Not my intention.

according to "Still Nobody"s research (which seems a VERY logical place to look) he's a 5th Dan and may very well serve your needs.

best of luck

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

flying crane (11-03-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

That is understandable as I've seen that happen on other forums. It's a little stressful right now and I jumped, so for that I apologize. As to his rank and who instructed him, I had that from the website. I was looking for more concrete first hand knowledge. But that is all on the backburner now. I'm going to check out some other schools in the area instead. If they don't work out to my liking I'll just keep looking.

Thank you for time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DocWolfe For This Useful Post:

Brother John (11-03-2007)

Thanks

That is understandable as I've seen that happen on other forums. It's a little stressful right now and I jumped, so for that I apologize. As to his rank and who instructed him, I had that from the website. I was looking for more concrete first hand knowledge. But that is all on the backburner now. I'm going to check out some other schools in the area instead. If they don't work out to my liking I'll just keep looking.

Thank you for time.
    No harm = No foul

A method I DO recomend for finding a good Kenpo/Kempo school in your area: I'll give you the LINKS to click on to zip you directly to the two forums on KenpoTalk where you may want to create a new thread on
    "Seeking a School in MY area"

Provide in it a "General" overview of:
    1. You (whatever you think is relevant in your search)

2. What you're looking for (art, approach, general background of it's instructor/lineage, pervading attitude, association affiliation...etc.)

3. The State & City you live in (((NOT your address, of course)))
    (if your town isn't a commonly recognized one, mention the area of the state it's in, the distance you are willing to travel to get to a good school OR maybe the names of towns/Cities that ARE well recognized...and how far/what direction Yours is from there)
    Here's those two links:
    Note: The second one (Kenpo General ) would probably get the BEST exposure and probably 3X the # of replies.....as it gets about 5X the amount of trafic as ANY of the forums on KenpoTalk! (Over 14,000 posts at this moment) Check'm out and decide for yourself what would serve your purposes the best
    General Martial Arts

Kenpo General !!

I hope you do take advantage of this approach! I believe you'll really be happy with the feed-back if you do!! I've seen it Really help people out! You never know when there's a very legit/GOOD instructor IN YOUR OWN SMALL TOWN who teaches in their garage, their church or local Rec-Center!!!!!!!

HOPE I've been helpful enough to make up for any snippiness I gave you before. I've been there where you're at now, seeking instruction.
    You've got the right attitude though! KEEP AT IT until you get what you want/need!!

BEST of luck to you man!!
    Keep us posted on how your search is going!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Hi Doc,

Good luck with your search. I still think you should go and pay the school a visit, talk with the teacher, watch a class and see if it's to your liking.
    "Fall seven times, stand up eight." Japanese proverb

"I've seen some cats do some crazy stuff like bending swords with their necks and breaking flaming bricks... thats great and all but can they fight?" *shrugs* Moses Powell

-Hank Colado

Thanks

If your judo and BJJ is good, go there and roll with him. Keith has NEVER EVER been one to shy away, or let his mouth get ahead of his capabilities. He's actually pretty humble. I know him personally, and can say he certainly is the real deal.

It sounds as though you may have already made up your mind, without visiting - your loss. My question to you though, what makes you so sure you are good enough to work with Keith instead of one of the other instructors?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (11-07-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    If your judo and BJJ is good, go there and roll with him.
    I never said anything about BJJ.

Keith has NEVER EVER been one to shy away, or let his mouth get ahead of his capabilities. He's actually pretty humble. I know him personally, and can say he certainly is the real deal.
    Thank you for the first hand information.

It sounds as though you may have already made up your mind, without visiting - your loss.
    I did make up my mind after receiving a couple private messages about the Tracy system.

My question to you though, what makes you so sure you are good enough to work with Keith instead of one of the other instructors?
    Your question is a pretty odd one. It's more of a direct attack on me than anything else, but I'll answer it anyway.

He's the head instructor. His name is on the school. Why wouldn't he be instructing sometimes? Also, I've never said I was good at anything. I stated my experience and asked about him and his school. I don't understand your hostility. I'm not here to troll yet I'm being treated almost like one.

I consider this thread done. I received some information and I'm currently looking around.

Thank you for your time.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,484 Posts

I did make up my mind after receiving a couple private messages about the Tracy system.
    I'd be curious to know what you have been told. Feel free to PM me, if you aren't comfortable discussing it openly in the forums.

Many times, people have a negative opinion about a group of schools or an organization. They may have simply had a bad experience with one or two instructors, or they may not understand what the system really has to offer. Often, people inherit the biases of their own instructors, for better or for worse.

Tracy kenpo has a lot of good things to offer, especially if taught by a good instructor. I don't know this instructor so I cannot vouche for him. But the system itself is quite good. I'd be happy to discuss this with you.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

18. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

still nobody (11-03-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I currently study Tracy Kenpo and have had experience in Kali, Muay Thai, Judo and other bits of this and that. Kenpo in general is a pragmatic system with the unfortunate political infighting mudding the waters. That being said< I take offense with your post insinuating negative things were said about the Tracy system (that you have NO EXPERIENCE IN, I might add) and after dropping a bomb, you want to consider the matter closed. Did you even ask about an introductory lesson to find out for your self ? The McDojo thing was out of line also, if you would have read further you would have found that you can only purchase the DVD's if there is no Tracy school in your area. You should go study Krav Maga or maybe Gracie's BJJ because they dont try to sell ANYTHING...... or try and study manners, it seems you have none and excuse it by saying your "straight forward".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]When in doubt, go for the groin.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RamsHead View Post
    I currently study Tracy Kenpo and have had experience in Kali, Muay Thai, Judo and other bits of this and that. Kenpo in general is a pragmatic system with the unfortunate political infighting mudding the waters. That being said< I take offense with your post insinuating negative things were said about the Tracy system (that you have NO EXPERIENCE IN, I might add) and after dropping a bomb, you want to consider the matter closed. Did you even ask about an introductory lesson to find out for your self ? The McDojo thing was out of line also, if you would have read further you would have found that you can only purchase the DVD's if there is no Tracy school in your area. You should go study Krav Maga or maybe Gracie's BJJ because they dont try to sell ANYTHING...... or try and study manners, it seems you have none and excuse it by saying your "straight forward".
    whoa there, big fella. I hear ya loud and clear, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt...
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

21. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Brother John (11-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I do not have the time currently to muddle through the politicking between the systems. I got information both good and bad on the old Parker system and the offshoot Tracy system. I even received information on the controversial Paul Mills stuff. I even got stuff on Kinetica and looked at Mr. Soto's information.

Whether you feel I'm slighting anyone is not my concern. I was looking for information and received a good amount.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DocWolfe For This Useful Post:

Brother John (11-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I'll send you a PM in a few minutes, sir.

Thanks

I never said anything about BJJ.
    My bad, I apologize. I read jujutsu and my brain registered BJJ.

From people on this board? I think all of the quality people on this board respect the Tracy's system. Unfortunately there are a lot of Kenpo Politics, however, as I said before, Keith is the real deal. Not only is he a good martial artist, he is also a good instructor.

I'm not here to troll yet I'm being treated almost like one.
    You may not be here to troll, however, this whole thread carries with it many, but not necessarily all, of the characteristics of trolling.

Question was asked on one day, on a weekend of all things. Decision was made the next day. Decision was made based on "private" data the rest of the thread does not have. The term McDojo was thrown in. No explanation was given... It makes one's spider sense tingle a bit.

I apologize if you felt attacked. Then again, if your skin is that thin, Tracy Kenpo may not be the best choice.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I do not have the time currently to muddle through the politicking between the systems. I got information both good and bad on the old Parker system and the offshoot Tracy system. I even received information on the controversial Paul Mills stuff. I even got stuff on Kinetica and looked at Mr. Soto's information.

Whether you feel I'm slighting anyone is not my concern. I was looking for information and received a good amount.
    Not your concern? This is a "community" any we treat each other with respect, you are an outsider, a guest, as far as I am concerned, and you need to have manners in someone else's house. Have a nice life and stay out of the Chicago Tracy schools.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]When in doubt, go for the groin.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RamsHead For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (11-07-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J-squared View Post
    My bad, I apologize. I read jujutsu and my brain registered BJJ.

From people on this board? I think all of the quality people on this board respect the Tracy's system. Unfortunately there are a lot of Kenpo Politics, however, as I said before, Keith is the real deal. Not only is he a good martial artist, he is also a good instructor.

You may not be here to troll, however, this whole thread carries with it many, but not necessarily all, of the characteristics of trolling.

Question was asked on one day, on a weekend of all things. Decision was made the next day. Decision was made based on "private" data the rest of the thread does not have. The term McDojo was thrown in. No explanation was given... It makes one's spider sense tingle a bit.

I apologize if you felt attacked. Then again, if your skin is that thin, Tracy Kenpo may not be the best choice.
    Understood and I agree with you except for the thin skin.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links