Thread: Kenpo weapons

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Kenpo weapons

Hi,
    I have a question about weapons as they pertain to Kenpo. Actually, I think its probably several questions. I know the Kenpo creed talks about empty hands, but I see a lot of Kenpo people doing Bo staff forms, and I know that there are different Kenpo-specific forms that exist for it (at least, the one I see students at my daughter's school performing are somewhat different than the one in the IKCA DVD on the staff set).

Are there any other weapons forms that are uniquely Kenpo? Or do Kenpoists doing, say, some kind of sword form, just perform the set as it is done in other styles?

Beyond the forms question...does anyone do any combat training with these traditional weapons, other than the forms? I think sparring with weapons would be fantastic, if it could be done safely, but I never see that.

jds

Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo weapons

There is the staff set which is probably what you have seen.

Forms 7 and 8 and double club and double knife forms, but many people don't know these forms or don't teach them.

I've seen plenty of borrow forms in some kenpo lineages, Tracy Kenpo has three staff sets and one katana form that I know of.
    Many schools may simply make up a form for a particular weapon or adapt an unarmed form for basis of the weapon usage.

I haven't seen much "combat training" with these weapons, but there are some lineages that tend to emphasize weapon training more than others. Mr. Pick's currciullum is well known for its knife orientation/interoperability, Mr. Mill's org (AKKI) has an established club and knife curricullum though I am unfamiliar with its content.

As for sparring with the weapons, try looking up the dog brothers, "safe" may not be the best description though. I have no idea if any kenpoists participate in this, all of the guys that I know that have done it come from some Filipino martial art.

http://www.dogbrothers.com/

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

The AKKI has weapon (knife and club) techniques and forms developed by Mr. Mills.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    As for sparring with the weapons, try looking up the dog brothers, "safe" may not be the best description though. I have no idea if any kenpoists participate in this, all of the guys that I know that have done it come from some Filipino martial art.

http://www.dogbrothers.com/

Lamont
    Yes sir, thier motto is, "Higher conciousness through harder contact".
    But, it's a very good way of really finding out if what you know works.
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    ... Mr. Pick's currciullum is well known for its knife orientation/interoperability...

Lamont
    Firearm training is part of it too, though the actual integration of it into the curriculum is still in the works. Should be a hoot.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
    UKF

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    The AKKI has weapon (knife and club) techniques and forms developed by Mr. Mills.
    ..and sets, and drills....etc.
    It's TOP NOTCH curriculum!!!

There are several folks in the Kenpo world who also pursue the FMA stick & knife systems and blend/merge it with Kenpo quite well. Off the top of my head people like Mr. Planas, Mr. Whitson and Mr. Fowler are known for doing this.

Mr. Pick also has at least a knife curriculum, but I don't know much about it at all. (Does he have a club curriculum too?)

I thin that this is an area of Kenpo that's very RIPE for innovation and exploration!!! I'm excited to see people bringing it up and discussing it!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Interesting, it sounds like there is more going on with this than I had heard about (no surprise there!). I also found some stuff about nunchuka on Larry Tatum's web site, as well as some references to stickfighting, which may be related to the Filipino arts.

jds
    "'The eyes are the groin of the head."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bureau13 View Post
    Interesting, it sounds like there is more going on with this than I had heard about (no surprise there!). I also found some stuff about nunchuka on Larry Tatum's web site, as well as some references to stickfighting, which may be related to the Filipino arts.

jds
    From everything I have heard, Mr. Parker's club and knife material is not related to FMA.
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Interesting what you can learn from a form. We have been working Sword Katas. While we knew little about the sword ,we learned a lot just by learning the Form We know how to Cut,Slash and stab,with accuracey.
    We know how to block and parry with the sword. We have learned how to attack and defend. In all we have learned a lot about the use of the sword.

Do we have the Skills and Knowledge of someone skilled in the Art of Kenjutsu and Iado? Certainly not, but we have learned a lot and have enjoyed doiing it.. Several of the Iado people have Said that we are doing well and should pursue it further. Well Maybe?

Surprising how much you can learn from a Form.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Keep in mind that Kenpo focuses on practicality.

In my experience, in regards to weapons, you can usually find 3 that most Kenpo schools address: Escrima (clubs), staff, and knife.

This is because, aside from a firearm, these are the most likely to be encountered in todays environment. Most of these weapons are available in one form or another in many environments (tire irons, pool sticks, etc)

Other weapons and their forms are usually borrowed from other, more traditional, styles. Let's face it, what are the chances you will be attacked with a 3-sectioned staff on the street?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Im new to Kenpo (about 2 years total) and new to this forum. I thought I would post a comment since it is a topic of interest to me.

Of the two schools I have been to both have worked with Escrima and Arnis (Rattan Bation Stick/s). I currently take private lessons with my teacher. We have been studying Arnis, and Sinawalli. I have found that Arnis and Escrima blend well with Kenpo. Since (from my understanding) Kenpo doesnt focus much on weapons. Many of the disarms and take downs in Arnis show striking similarities in Kenpo. I have also toyed with using sticks when practicing my techniques. Not all of them work but many of them do.

I have also found that using Kenpo with Arnis helps me develope "What if Scenarios" For example what if my opponent has a stick and I dont?

My guess is that if you ask your teacher about it, they will likely have some weapon recommendations for you that fit well in your training.

Thats my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bureau13 View Post
    Hi,
    I have a question about weapons as they pertain to Kenpo. Actually, I think its probably several questions. I know the Kenpo creed talks about empty hands, but I see a lot of Kenpo people doing Bo staff forms, and I know that there are different Kenpo-specific forms that exist for it (at least, the one I see students at my daughter's school performing are somewhat different than the one in the IKCA DVD on the staff set).

Are there any other weapons forms that are uniquely Kenpo? Or do Kenpoists doing, say, some kind of sword form, just perform the set as it is done in other styles?

Beyond the forms question...does anyone do any combat training with these traditional weapons, other than the forms? I think sparring with weapons would be fantastic, if it could be done safely, but I never see that.

jds
    It's a long journey ... life long in fact ... focus on the empty hand in the beginning stage of your training. Weapons will come in time.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

bureau13 (11-10-2007)

Thanks

Greetings!

I am fortunate to be in a system that has many (18) weapons from Japanese/Okinawan, Chinese, and Phillipino origins with 3 forms per weapon. Many of these are not taught until the practicioner is 3rd, 4th or 5th dan (or higher) but we have Bo, Sai, and Nunchaku between white and first degree BB.

Grandmaster Kuoha is proficient in many weapons from different parts of the world and Professor Chow wanted to incorporate weapons training into Kara-Ho Kempo- so while Professor Chow was not known for weapons practice and training, he helped engineer many of the weapons kata's that Kara-Ho uses today. Amazing how Professor Chow could watch Grandmaster Kuoha do a flying kick or weapons strike and quickly modify it to be "Kara-Ho Style" even without personal experience himself.

He was a martial genius and innovator 'til the very end...

Cheers-
    The above is just my opinion.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links