Thread: Is there a dvd on kenpo concepts?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Is there a dvd on kenpo concepts?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a dvd to reinforce the common principles found in kenpo. I'm not looking for a technique by technique break down, but an overlay concepts backed up with solid examples that can be applied to the techniques, or when formulating your own responses to aggression.

Anybody seen any dvd's like this?

thanks

don (el paso)
    Daffy, fighting with his $1.25 quarter staff : "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" (quarter staff bounces off log, bending his beak. He straightens it back to normal, and starts speaking to himself) "Something's amiss here... hmm, let me run through it. Ho, haha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust." (beak bends again) "Got it." (straightens beak, and starts his fighting moves again.) "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default Re: Is there a dvd on kenpo concepts?

I don't think that Mr. Parker ever recorded such a lesson.

Anyone who might subsequently attempt to record such a lesson will open themselves to attacks that he a) probably wouldn't deserve and b) is making it up; that it is his idea and not Mr. Parker's.

This could be why many have created their own systems.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

Brother John (10-21-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Don,
    The IKCA orange belt video has a lot of kenpo principles. They do have the tech breakdown later in the video, but the 1st hour is all basics and principles. You could probably find a copy at your local library in VHS. You could also try karateconnection.com and order one.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    I don't think that Mr. Parker ever recorded such a lesson.

Anyone who might subsequently attempt to record such a lesson will open themselves to attacks that he a) probably wouldn't deserve and b) is making it up; that it is his idea and not Mr. Parker's.

This could be why many have created their own systems.
    You are probably correct. This has me thinking about issuing a challenge and see what comes of it.

For every martial artist on KT.

If you could teach about a 20 minute seminar on an area you are comfortable in what would it be on, and would you be willing to tape and place on youtube? Each presentation would be a chapter in a book by different martial artist!

Any nibblers? Anyone want to discuss this further?

don (el paso)
    Daffy, fighting with his $1.25 quarter staff : "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" (quarter staff bounces off log, bending his beak. He straightens it back to normal, and starts speaking to himself) "Something's amiss here... hmm, let me run through it. Ho, haha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust." (beak bends again) "Got it." (straightens beak, and starts his fighting moves again.) "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin!"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwikarlo View Post
    Don,
    The IKCA orange belt video has a lot of kenpo principles. They do have the tech breakdown later in the video, but the 1st hour is all basics and principles. You could probably find a copy at your local library in VHS. You could also try karateconnection.com and order one.
    Local Library? I'll check it out.

thanks

don (el paso)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Check HUK Planas's dvd list. I believe he has one on theories and principles.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Dragon Fire Publication has 3 videos of Ed Parker;s teaching concepts at Doug Mc Cleods school, There is a ton of great knowledge in them.

They are called Concepts in Motion, Advanced Concepts in Motion and Foundations of Kenpo.

I have all 3 on VHS and transferred them to DVD, really good stuff
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

I'd think it'd be difficult to really understand and assimilate Kenpo concepts and principles without going through some kind of a break down of technique. The techniques are the Laboratories in which the principles and concepts are fleshed out, they are the vehicle that carries/contains the principles and concepts.

I'd be VERY interested in seeing those videos Rob. I'll try to check'm out.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by don bohrer View Post
    You are probably correct. This has me thinking about issuing a challenge and see what comes of it.

For every martial artist on KT.

If you could teach about a 20 minute seminar on an area you are comfortable in what would it be on, and would you be willing to tape and place on youtube? Each presentation would be a chapter in a book by different martial artist! )
    I did all of that 30 years ago. Books, DVD's (several hundred of them), cds, training manuals. Blab, blab, blab.

So have a few others.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Dragon Fire Publication has 3 videos of Ed Parker;s teaching concepts at Doug Mc Cleods school, There is a ton of great knowledge in them.

They are called Concepts in Motion, Advanced Concepts in Motion and Foundations of Kenpo.

I have all 3 on VHS and transferred them to DVD, really good stuff
    Thank you Rob,

Kenpojoe has a few out also from back in 1985.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I was thinking along the lines of a set of Master Key Principles and Concepts with clear examples rather than techniques.

@ Brother John,
    I wanted to look beyond the techniques for information. Sometimes I feel kenpo gets in the way of itself and can be detrimental to learning things clearly and effectively. I don't mind picking things apart, but I don't mind being spoon feed either.

Ok, I've got....

1. IKCA Orange martial - karate connection
    2. HUK Planas's DVDs
    3. Ed Parker - by Dragon Fire Publication
    4. Kenpojoe - 1985 material
    5. Dr. John's - massive library!

thanks guys.

don (el paso)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links