Thread: Explosive

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Explosive

Do you as a Kenpoist utilize explosiveness in your tecs? What are your thoughts on attaining this action. Does it aid in making the tec more effective?

Just tossing out some food for thought

Thanks

Default Re: Explosive

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTess
    Do you as a Kenpoist utilize explosiveness in your tecs? What are your thoughts on attaining this action. Does it aid in making the tec more effective?

Just tossing out some food for thought
    The most important thing I was ever taught was to be explosive and I find it to be very efficient and effective. It makes me move quicker and with better motion. It also generates power. Thinking of minor and major movements also helps with this. You are more explosive on major moves than minor.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Being explosive is definitely important in martial arts. Not only in movement, but thought as well.
    In self defense situations i would imagine myself as a bomb exploding to overwhelm the other person.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Yes, I think this has alot to do with the effectivness of the tech. The faster and more explosive you are the less time your attacker has to do something about it, and it adds alot of power to your techs.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

We know being explosive is a benefit, how do YOU acheive it?
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    Bruce Lee always said:"Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless. Like water. Now put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You pour water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put water into a teacup, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow creep or drip -- or crash!
    Be water, my freind."

Him and alot of other Martial Artists had also talked about not tensing up until the moment of impact. That is also one of the many reason the Bruce could get the amount of power he did with his one inch punch. But I take this to heart, I keep everything nice a light until the moment of impact.

Hopefully that helps out some.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Explosive

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    How about through relaxing & tensing at the proper moment for your strikes/blocks (since "when skin meets skin, tension begins"), & quarter-beat timing?
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I have found muscle memory helps with your explosiveness. The more you do something the easier it becomes. Therefore by practicing your techniques youincrease you natural ability to explode into action.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Also figuring out which are major and minor moves. And always stay on your toes, not leaning over though, there is a difference. Like when you spar you are always on your toes so you can move faste and not be "flat-footed". KNowing which moves are minor and major can tell you where you can spead up and where you have to settle and slow down. Also puting numbers togethr like I talked about in another post with Five Swords. Instead of going block than chop with the first two strikes, why not make it one move per say. Pary the punch and imediately move in and strike, the heal-palm eye spear and upper cut. Step off do your next chop in a forward bow and than settle into your last chop. That reminds me, a lot of style retract there weapons all the way, like throwing a punch and than bringing iit all the way back to your hip. Why would you want to do that if it only takes more time to bring it back out?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Explosive

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    I have found muscle memory helps with your explosiveness. The more you do something the easier it becomes. Therefore by practicing your techniques youincrease you natural ability to explode into action.
    Yeah - & how about PBA (Proper Body Alignment) too?
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: Explosive

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    Also figuring out which are major and minor moves. KNowing which moves are minor and major can tell you where you can spead up and where you have to settle and slow down. Also puting numbers togethr like I talked about in another post with Five Swords. Instead of going block than chop with the first two strikes, why not make it one move per say. Pary the punch and imediately move in and strike, the heal-palm eye spear and upper cut. Step off do your next chop in a forward bow and than settle into your last chop. That reminds me, a lot of style retract there weapons all the way, like throwing a punch and than bringing iit all the way back to your hip. Why would you want to do that if it only takes more time to bring it back out?
    So you're saying Major & Minor moves, staying on one's toes, changing the timing, & Economy of Motion, right?
    Last edited by Gin-Gin2; 11-17-2005 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gin-Gin2
    So you're saying Major & Minor moves, staying on one's toes, changing the timing, & Economy of Motion, right?
    That is all I can think of right now, yes.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Explosive

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate
    That is all I can think of right now, yes.
    That's a lot!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gin-Gin2
    That's a lot!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links