Thread: the black belt system for kids

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default the black belt system for kids

where i train if your a kid u have to get your jr black belt. then u have then 10 levels of jr black belt before you can get your probationary.then you have 4 levels of probationary before u can get your adult black.i think this is a good idea to brake up all the self defences before u get your adult black belt. thats if your a kid.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: the black belt system for kids

Junior Black belt sounds fine to me, and the learning up to the adult BB, but 4 levels of probation sound like a cash grab to me.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

I agree with Rob,

I like apprentice black belt, jr. black belt, and then black belt.
    It is based on the amount of adult material you know,and the relationship to ones age. Children of certian age should not learn certian material until they mature mentaly( it is in approiate)

I have only done this once in my entire years of teaching.
    and that was because the child came to me from another kenpo linagewho gave that child the rank.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mskenpoman View Post
    where i train if your a kid u have to get your jr black belt. then u have then 10 levels of jr black belt before you can get your probationary.then you have 4 levels of probationary before u can get your adult black.i think this is a good idea to brake up all the self defences before u get your adult black belt. thats if your a kid.
    Well, you are 13 years old and because of that much must be done by the trainer for you that is not done for adults of legal age.

This account says "it's closed".

Why is that?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

In another forum where someone mentionewd that he would not issue a black belt to anyone under 17, I replied with the following, which pretty much sums up how I currently feel about children obtaining the rank of black belt.

I agree somewhat. First my ideas of what it means to be a black belt. To be a black belt means more than being able to perform the techniques, basics, and forms. Ed Parker used to say those who know how are the student, those who know why are the teacher. To me a 1st degree black belt is a junior or assistant teacher. So to be promoted to a black belt the student must not only know how, but they must be at a level intellectually to understand the theory behind the techniques. Now to learn this much about the art of Kenpo, it takes a certain level of maturity. Most teens really only want to know the hows and aren't necessarily interested in the whys. These teens should not be promoted. However, my problem with a hard fast rule, such as no one under 18 can attain the level of black belt is this: everyone must be assesed as an individual. Honestly, every once in a while a 16 yo comes along who is more mature and more intellectually gifted than a 25 yo. I do not think that simply an across the board rule on age does justice to all of the indivduals and the art.

However, contrary to what I've said, this probably over 95% of teens do not have the mental or physical maturity to warrant a black belt, I only would like to offer that exceptions to the general should not be ignored. If you do write a general rulse for your school, are you willing to make an exception when that extraordinary teen comes along?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jjpregler For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (01-21-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mskenpoman View Post
    We choose NOT to teach children.

But we do interview young adults and screen them for an intro course to see if they qualify.

When they "EARN" a rank it is the same rank a person over the age of 21 earns.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links