View Poll Results: Has the kenpo you study been traditionalized?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: There have been no alterations in study in ages

1 4.76%
  • No: Our curriculum adapts and changes to fit the times

15 71.43%
  • Other: Explain below

5 23.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has "your" Kenpo Been Traditionalized?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Has "your" Kenpo Been Traditionalized?

"When I am gone, I hope that people won't try to traditionalize my Art. I want you to always remember that Kenpo will always be the Art of Perpetual Change. If you remember this, then the Art will never become obsolete because it will change with the times. While the ignorant refuse to study and the intelligent never stop, we should always be mindful of the fact that our reward in life is proportionate with the contributions we make. A true Martial Artist is not one who fears change, but one who causes it to happen. To live is to change, and to obtain perfection is to have changed often. Progress is a necessity that is a part of nature. While it is true that casting the old aside is not necessary in order to obtain something new, we should study old theories not as a means of discrediting them, but to see if they can be modified to improve our present conditions. A word of advice, The humble man makes room for progress; the proud man believes he is already there."

Edmund Kealoha Parker Sr.
    Volume 2, Infinite Insights

..or do you feel what you study today is in line with SGM Parkers wishes? How and why?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Brother John (12-06-2007),John M. La Tourrette (08-22-2007),Mikael151 (12-06-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: Has "your" Kenpo Been Traditionalized?

My kenpo has changed many times over the years.

Inserts, changes in focus, 'new' checks added, corners rounded, etc.

I learn new things about old techniques all the time.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

The applications and concepts that one develops over time is what changes. The art itself has to have some traditional traits inorder to set a standard of continuity within it. My art is better than your art,my daddy can beat up your daddy syndrom etc. We are all traditional,if that isnt true then we would not set back and judge how other systems and people move. People say this is how you do it,and if you dont then it defeys all principle. What they forget is that the whole purpose of kenpo is logic.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (12-08-2007),John M. La Tourrette (08-22-2007),Martin Seck (12-06-2007)

Thanks

Oops I answered the poll before I read Crippla's note:

Yes, our system has evolved with time but with Professor Chow's consent. I did not realize that this was ANOTHER EPAK based question.

Ed Parker did his whole thing after Kara-Ho was put into motion so I cannot comment on the EPAK stuff.
    The above is just my opinion.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-19-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

It's too early in my training for me to tell what has changed in kenpo and what hasn't, everything is still new to me. But I have always been the type of person that welcomes new ideas and progress. Reading these words from Mr. Parker, it's very reassuring that I'm studying the right art.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks

whoops.. i meant to hit no.. not yes. misread the question.. lol so yeah. the great thing is.. no matter how much your system changes/evolves/perpetuates/adapts/etc. you still have the "old" material and the "OOOLD" material to examine and learn from.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

We've incorporated many of Doc's teachings into the system we teach - such as better ways to block, PAMs, BAMs. Areas identified as being less effective than they could be have been updated to reflect the better knowledge and more effective methods of execution. I believe this is exactly how Mr Parker intended his system to be practiced and passed on.

So I would say 'no' - we've not traditionalized, we identified the source of kenpo knowledge we wanted and moved in that direction. On the other hand the one thing we haven't done is follow the latest crazes and incorporate whatever the latest 'fad' art is at the time just so we can get more students in the door. Our kenpo will survive because it works.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesB For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-20-2007)

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

If you take a close look at a couple of the High Rankers ( no names,you will know who I mean), you will see they haven't basicly changed anything. I don't think they have ever changed a move in a technique. Some of the old techniques are way too long and cumbersome and needed changed,Yet they remain the same. Certain;y not What Mr. Parker had in mind. He believed in change. Not for the sake of change but to make something better.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (08-22-2007),John M. La Tourrette (08-22-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (12-06-2007),Mikael151 (12-06-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sifuroy View Post
    If you take a close look at a couple of the High Rankers ( no names,you will know who I mean), you will see they haven't basicly changed anything. I don't think they have ever changed a move in a technique. Some of the old techniques are way too long and cumbersome and needed changed,Yet they remain the same. Certain;y not What Mr. Parker had in mind. He believed in change. Not for the sake of change but to make something better.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

When teaching the cirriculum they dont change,it is standardized.
    But when it is applied is when you see the rules broken.
    My Respects sir
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (08-22-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy
    Glad you are back sifuroy.

I loved the quote that Celtic gave.

Mr. Parker was not talking about change for change's sake, but changing because of something much more important.

Thank you for a great reply.

DOC JOHN

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    When teaching the cirriculum they dont change,it is standardized.
    But when it is applied is when you see the rules broken.
    My Respects sir
    I've even changed the basic curriculum.

And Mr. Parker did also.

I'm glad that many here (Doc Ron, and others) were there to see/feel those evolutions.

DOC JOHN

18. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-22-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Sometimes the changes on the inside (that only you can feel) are more apparent than the changes on the outside (that everyone else can see)
    "Rust Never Sleeps" - N.Young.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pete For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-22-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Sometimes the changes on the inside (that only you can feel) are more apparent than the changes on the outside (that everyone else can see)
    That is one of the best comments I seen on this site
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    [/i]

..or do you feel what you study today is in line with SGM Parkers wishes? How and why?
    Yes I do!!!

It really depends on what you think "Tradition" IS w/in American Kenpo Karate.

I see tailoring and formulation along the lines of sound basics and logical principles IS a Dominant "Tradition" in American Kenpo. The foundational curriculum is Great!! Some groups have altered it, but I still feel that they (OR at least those that I've come into contact with) are adhering to Mr. Parker's vision to the best of their abilities! There are many that stay with what Mr. Parker had established by the end of his life, in the exact same way as he formulated it (Curriculum and the way it is presented/taught)...and that's GREAT, that's their way!! Many say that they do this in order to best honor Mr. Parker. That's from their own heart, and I won't judge that!! But I do think that those who don't follow the exact same curriculum in the exact same way....yet still try to adhere to the vision of Mr. Parker's Kenpo....I think that they should also be given credit for their loyalty and perseverence!! It's simply getting to that vision with a different formulation.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (12-06-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (12-06-2007),Mikael151 (12-06-2007)

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

There are some traditions that we willl follow, but we will keep an open mind and change with the times. Kenpo is not written in stone.

i am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (12-06-2007),Dianhsuhe (12-07-2007)

Thanks

Learn the system as it was put in place, understand the system as Mr. Parker wanted it to be THEN "tailor" it to you.

As long as the concepts and principals are intact IMO its all good.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

Brother John (12-06-2007),Celtic_Crippler (12-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    Yes I do!!!

It really depends on what you think "Tradition" IS w/in American Kenpo Karate.

I see tailoring and formulation along the lines of sound basics and logical principles IS a Dominant "Tradition" in American Kenpo. The foundational curriculum is Great!! Some groups have altered it, but I still feel that they (OR at least those that I've come into contact with) are adhering to Mr. Parker's vision to the best of their abilities! There are many that stay with what Mr. Parker had established by the end of his life, in the exact same way as he formulated it (Curriculum and the way it is presented/taught)...and that's GREAT, that's their way!! Many say that they do this in order to best honor Mr. Parker. That's from their own heart, and I won't judge that!! But I do think that those who don't follow the exact same curriculum in the exact same way....yet still try to adhere to the vision of Mr. Parker's Kenpo....I think that they should also be given credit for their loyalty and perseverence!! It's simply getting to that vision with a different formulation.

Your Brother
    John
    There are some traditions that we willl follow, but we will keep an open mind and change with the times. Kenpo is not written in stone.

i am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    Learn the system as it was put in place, understand the system as Mr. Parker wanted it to be THEN "tailor" it to you.

As long as the concepts and principals are intact IMO its all good.
    You guys are are all very insightful in your own rights. All very good points and much appreciated.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Brother John (12-07-2007),Martin Seck (12-06-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

All Kenpo is Traditionalized.

Kenpo Gary

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Gary View Post

Kenpo Gary
    Could you expand on that?

Thanks,

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Gary View Post
    Kenpo Gary
    Care to elaborate??

thanks

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links