Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time in grade

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Time in grade

Hi
    I was wondering, how long (on average) do students spend in each belt. I know this would differ greatly from person to person or even school to school, and whether or not if the individual has prior martial arts experience.

If, for example someone of average ability was spending say 7 hours a week on their material, how much time (on average) would they spend in grade.

I know it also depends on whether your doing the 16 or 24 tech system and also how long you spend each week on it. I understand that some schools like their students to not only know the techniques and forms but also to "mature" as well.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Time in grade

The time in grade for colored belts is directly related to the individual as well as how much time the individual puts into practicing and learning the material. Therefore, time in grade is directly proportionate to effort applied plus individual skill and innate talent.

A person with natural talent or previous training may not progress as fast as someone with no prior training or as much natural talent if that person does not practice as much as the other! You may have talent or training, but if I practice 4 times as often as you do, then I may progress at 3-4 times the rate that you do!

In short...there is no pre-set time (in most schools/organizations) that I know of. Some have a "minimum" requirement for colored belts, but I know of no set time frame for anything other than degrees of black.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

wolfenmoon (08-15-2007)

Thanks

For underbelts there is no "time in grade" we test you when you are ready. But I can tell you averages, yellow 1-1.5 months, orange 6 months, purple through first black, one year each (we only have one brown belt).

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

wolfenmoon (08-18-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    For underbelts there is no "time in grade" we test you when you are ready. But I can tell you averages, yellow 1-1.5 months, orange 6 months, purple through first black, one year each (we only have one brown belt).

Lamont
    Yellow 4 months
    Orange 6-8 months
    Purple 6-8 months
    Blue 8-10 months
    Green 10-12 months
    3 levels of Brown min 12 months with a combined 200 hrs of teaching
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

wolfenmoon (08-15-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Yellow 4 months
    Orange 6-8 months
    Purple 6-8 months
    Blue 8-10 months
    Green 10-12 months
    We haven't promoted anyone past purple yet, but that sounds about right for us too. Maybe a little longer on some of them. It's hard to say since we had changed curriculums. It threw everyone off.

But yes, I would agree. We don't have the teaching requirements, but that's largely because our school is so small. The students all do help each other.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-15-2007),wolfenmoon (08-18-2007)

Thanks

I've always wondered where that "200 hours" came from, we have the same requirement.

Lamont

He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.
    ~William Drummond

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    I've always wondered where that "200 hours" came from, we have the same requirement.

Lamont
    Trust me I didnt start it, nor take credit for it.
    I however went thru it and endorse it. All my black belts hold the same requirement at their schools.

Amy,

When they are helping they are instructing in some form. It is a matter of what you give them credit for. You may not have any brown belts now,but hopefully you will,and your school will grow.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

amylong (08-15-2007),sifuroy (08-22-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Being an old army dog I like time in grade. We hold testing every 4 months.

don (el paso)
    Daffy, fighting with his $1.25 quarter staff : "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" (quarter staff bounces off log, bending his beak. He straightens it back to normal, and starts speaking to himself) "Something's amiss here... hmm, let me run through it. Ho, haha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust." (beak bends again) "Got it." (straightens beak, and starts his fighting moves again.) "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Yellow 4 months
    Orange 6-8 months
    Purple 6-8 months
    Blue 8-10 months
    Green 10-12 months
    I'm really not trying to sound sarcastic...but...

So, regardless of whether I come to class once a week or five times a week, after 8 months I would get my orange belt?

I really don't have a problem with "minimum" requiremnets, but to set a specific time frame that should fit everyone doesn't make sense to me.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I'm really not trying to sound sarcastic...but...

So, regardless of whether I come to class once a week or five times a week, after 8 months I would get my orange belt?

I really don't have a problem with "minimum" requiremnets, but to set a specific time frame that should fit everyone doesn't make sense to me.
    Celtic,
    They are ment as reference only,time must also meet the curiculum requirements. If a orange belt comes once in 6 months then I need to address why. No time requirement fits all people, and those I teach on a private basis progress more quickly.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Celtic,
    They are meant as reference only,time must also meet the curiculum requirements. If a orange belt comes once in 6 months then I need to address why. No time requirement fits all people, and those I teach on a private basis progress more quickly.
    Yes, Crip. You must know that's not what he meant. In our school, you can't go more than 3 times a week. And one of those classes is only for upper belts. Some people could perhaps move faster, but my feeling is...what's the hurry? There's so much information to absorb and there's all the time in the world. I would never want people looking at my students and think, "Wow, you gave that person THAT rank?" And I wouldn't want anyone thinking that of me either, so again, what's the hurry?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

17. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

wolfenmoon (08-15-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

my brother used to have a school and thats when i started kenpo was there at his school. He said everyone does 4 months and 48 classes at least before he will consider the next belt. He said after 4 months if I'm not ready he'd tell me why and i liked that. but last year our father died too young and left his company to my brother but the company was struggling since my dad got sick. my brother had to give his school to someone so he could try to keep the company running which means he doesn't do much teaching. Now that he does, its just individual lessons for me, our cousins, and a couple other students that really want to stay with my brother even if he cant devote the same time. but its not a big class any more just 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 class. so now he doesn't say 4 months or 48 hours and he doesn't do test anymore. he just says do your best and then you will get the new belt when you are ready. I like that. sorry long post.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChris For This Useful Post:

wolfenmoon (08-18-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

My school has 3 months between every belt up to green (unless your a very slow learner) ex:
    white-yellow 3 months
    yellow-orange 3 months
    orange-purple 3 months
    purple-blue 3 months
    blue-green 3 months
    So, it took me a little under a year and a half to get to green belt.
    After green, it's an individual basis. The requirement, is we need at least 2 separate teachers to say we are ready for brown. On average, 6-9 months to 3rd brown. My teacher has adopted the "Joe Palanzo" method, which has eliminated ALOT of techniques. We have 15 tech. for Level 1 (White, Yellow, & Orange), 15 tech. for Level 2 (Purple, Blue, Green). So, when I go for my 3rd brown, I will have to do 30 techniques and 4 forms-Short 1, Long 1, Short 2 & Long 2 (not counting sparring and fitness).

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

We have 9 colored belts. You start at about 2-3 months and gradually increase the minimum time in each. I think the last 3 are a min of six months.

We also do 2 reviews during the belt to make sure the students are on track and learning their curriculum. We find this is very good for both the student and the instructors to have intermediate feedback on the progress.
    More Shugyo!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tdamap View Post
    We have 15 tech. for Level 1 (White, Yellow, & Orange), 15 tech. for Level 2 (Purple, Blue, Green). So, when I go for my 3rd brown, I will have to do 30 techniques and 4 forms-Short 1, Long 1, Short 2 & Long 2.
    15 total to get your orange and another 15 to get your green? Or 15 for each belt?

15 more for brown? Or 30 more? And long two is for brown?

When do you get the threes through six?

--Amy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tdamap View Post
    So, it took me a little under a year and a half to get to green belt.
    After green, it's an individual basis. The requirement, is we need at least 2 separate teachers to say we are ready for brown. On average, 6-9 months to 3rd brown. My teacher has adopted the "Joe Palanzo" method, which has eliminated ALOT of techniques. We have 15 tech. for Level 1 (White, Yellow, & Orange), 15 tech. for Level 2 (Purple, Blue, Green). So, when I go for my 3rd brown, I will have to do 30 techniques and 4 forms-Short 1, Long 1, Short 2 & Long 2 (not counting sparring and fitness).
    Interesting, just one of those things that shows you how not comparable belt systems are, between kenpo schools or associations, though this seems pretty extreme.

Lamont

~William Drummond

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

FOR AMY,
    15 techniques for white, yellow & orange combined!!! I only had to do 6 techniques and short form 1(right side only) for my yellow belt test. I did 6 more plus both sides of Short 1, & 6 more techniques for my orange belt. Then for my purple belt (level 2) I did all 15 techniques, short form 1 (both sides) and long form 1. And yes, I wont learn short form 3 until brown belt.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to tdamap For This Useful Post:

amylong (08-22-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    The time in grade for colored belts is directly related to the individual as well as how much time the individual puts into practicing and learning the material. Therefore, time in grade is directly proportionate to effort applied plus individual skill and innate talent.

A person with natural talent or previous training may not progress as fast as someone with no prior training or as much natural talent if that person does not practice as much as the other! You may have talent or training, but if I practice 4 times as often as you do, then I may progress at 3-4 times the rate that you do!

In short...there is no pre-set time (in most schools/organizations) that I know of. Some have a "minimum" requirement for colored belts, but I know of no set time frame for anything other than degrees of black.
    I do disagree.

Here's why.

We teach goal setting in our Kenpo karate training.

Here's a simple example.

So our first rank, has 10 waza, 20 basics and 1 Set to learn.

We sign up clients for 2 private sessions a week. That's where they get the waza's and the Master Keys in detail for their minds and their bodies.

We have a schedule of what and when the client learned "whatever".

Then we also have two Mastery Classes (groups) we STRONGLY RECOMMEND they attend one of so they get to train with others besides their black belt.

We give them structured "home study" and "review" and teach them how-to-do it effectively.

So, generally speaking getting from White belt to Gold belt does take about 4-5 weeks for MOST clients.

A few do it faster. A few do it slower.

An IMPORTANT POINT. Kenpo is an art of GOAL SETTING SKILLS.

If the goal setting skills and the time of acquistions are not taught, then the system is flawed.

Just my opinion.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

the system is flawed only by nature of the construct of YOUR system, not THE system. i disagree with your statement as an ABSOLUTE.
    "Rust Never Sleeps" - N.Young.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pete For This Useful Post:

Sapper6 (08-22-2007)

Thanks

What a silly topic- Few posts will cause more controversy than "how long for XXX rank". LOL

My answer:

** However long it takes until we decide you are ready to advance **
    The above is just my opinion.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

flying crane (01-24-2008),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-22-2007)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links