Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Mr. LaTourrette's Speed Stuff...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Default Regarding Mr. LaTourrette's Speed Stuff...

I was goig to post on an existing thread, but it got closed before I got to it. That thread paralled one going on at another forum, in which someone posted a link to one of Dr. L's pages, and a claim that he was poppin moves out fast enough that regular karate guys couldn't track them. Someone called BS on this, so I posted the following.Please be aware that I have no affiliation with Dr. L., have not read or seen much of his stuff (small snippets hither & yon, but don't own any books or tapes, etc.), and am not on his payroll. I'm responding to the "impossibility" of physical perfomance improvements as effects of shifts in mental positions.

The post:
    Does anybody remember Get Smart? There was a gathering of CONTROL chiefs from around the globe. The Asian affiliate was introduced as being so fast, the eye could not track it. The guy is standing there with his arms tucked into his sleeves, Charlie-Chan like. Smart challenges him to prove it. The guy kiai's, but doesn't visibly move, and Maxwell Smart is catapulted by the unseen blow.

I don't think this level of "unseen" is what Mr. LaTourrette is referring to. Rather, working up to such blindingly quick combinations, that a regular karate guy (note...that is not the same as a kenpo veteran used to moving in faster circles of people, but it can certainly include them) can't track it. I've done demo's where people in the viewing audience...Shotokan, TKD, Shito-ryu, Shorinji, etc., ...didn't see what I did, so I had to break it down into 3 or 4 speeds for them. I had to educate their eyes to track the movements. Very slow walk through, quicker walk through, failry fast, balls out. At balls out speed, they could register the arm movement, but still not track hand formations of strikes selected to fit targets at obscure angles...not in their system, training history, so not in their brain to track it. That's one thing.

Another thing. I spent a long dang time studying some of the mental training disciplines that Mr. LaTourette used, even though I'd never heard of him prior to that (outside of a name on the family tree). Studied NLP with some of the same crew he did; studied hypnosis with the surviving seniors of the hypnotherapy lineage the NLP founders used to create much of their stuff, and so on. I started with an assumption, "The only limitations of the mind and body are those we accept". The techniques were originally created to facilitate improvements in psychologic states, and specific behaviors extending from those states. I.e., helping depressed people who don't assert themselves break a viscious cycle by having them "step into a you who is strong and confident", and while maintaining that feeling, mentally rehearse the next time they might wish to assert themselves. This increased the likelihood of positive behaviors in future tenses. I switched it. The future I wanted was "twice as fast in 5 Swords", "thorugh a stack of 10 bricks" (when 5 was a previous record), or some such thing. I shortly came to realize that there was always room to do more still. What if 2x faster on 5 swords placed me at only 5/10 on a 10-point scale of possibility? What, then, would 6 look like? 7? What if, when I got to the top of the mountain at 10 out of 10, it was only to look up at a higher mountain...and the 10 I reached is really only a 1 on a 100-point scale? I worked out -- often at the expense of my student's poor joints and muscles -- a method for not only achieving known limits, but for expanding a concept of what limits were. Establishing new horizons to reach for. Some of these guys got scary good, scary fast.

Literally spooked by the implications of what I'd stumbled accross, I shelved the project. It was too much to process, and I wasn't the guy for the job. But what absolutely cemented for me in that process is that:

1. The mind and body are inextricably linked, such that...minor changes in mental position can drive major changes in physical performance.

2. What the practicing population lack is a specific method for establishing starting points, then creeping or sprinting past them. If they were provided a mechanism or methodology, dramatic improvements in performance could be obtained.

3. Most people do not want dramatic performance improvement. It's scary to find a switch in your head that can double, triple, or quadruple your power and skill in a couple hours, when you've been spending 20 years before that to get where you are. Embracing the model infers some other things that are scary or unpleasant to sit with (at least for me, as most of my life is an uncontrolled wreck)...particularly, if small mental shifts drive big changes, what inadvertent shifts inform my personality and the results I get in my life? My career? My relationships with family, the women I've known, friends? What would happen...or what could I make happen...if I used this to make different shifts? Instead of kenpo, maybe an attitude change towards money? Or love?

The last half of number 3 is why nobody I know has stayed with this very long. It's one thing to whip out a self defense technique like you've been training just it for 20 more years than you really have; quite another to then go home to an angry wife and inbox full of bills, and wonder what would happen if...nahh!!! That would just upset the applecart we've all gotten used to.

So, what I'm getting to is this: Dr. John has applied himself to marketing and an income from his technology. I would not ask him to compromise his terms around his monies to provide a free demo. So I will. I invite the collective all y'all to come by on a training night (or a weekend with enough advanced notice...it's usually when I pay "family tax") and go through the process. Takes a couple hours to lay the groundwork, set a benchmark, do the routine, re-measure benchmark, do it again, etc. It will give you the hands on opportunity to see for yourself what happens when you plug into the mind-body connection, and allow it to drive your kenpo...as opposed to dragging it along with or behind your kenpo.

On August 18th, we're having an Ohana event in Santa Rosa. If you're a local board reader, come by. If you don't want to spend 10 whopping bucks for a day full of kenpo seminars by distinguished guests and seniors followed by good bread-breaking and BS-ing after, then come by towards the end of the day...and when everybody breaks for the BBQ afterwards, I'll stay on the mat and walk you though the process. Then you can decide for yourself if it's BS, amazing, or just so-so. And if you pick a good biomechanically flowing technique, I'll even have you moving at the end of the session faster than an untrained eye or unrefined kenpo eye can track. We'll even videotape the before and after's, so you can have them for reference, and post the success or failure of it on youtube for everyone to see, if you wanna. My product warning is this: Tapping into the inner recesses of mind sometimes also rouses things that may have been better left unroused...some people find themselves needing to process traumatic memories or emotions they had previously buried or forgotten; just something about digging deep and dialing in that shakes some wierd stuff outta the tree. Just so you can't say I didn't warn you; now you can come ready.

Then, after having had a personal experience with it -- good or bad -- you'll be in a better position to offer informed criticism.

So..whaddya say? Care to put your mind and body under the microscope and see what happens?

Best Regards,

Dave Crouch, DC
    Certified Master Practitioner and Trainer, Neuro-Linguistic Programming (South-Western Association of Neuro-Linguistic Programmers)
    Certified Master Ericksonian Hypnotherapist (coupla "lineages")
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Bob Hubbard (08-09-2007),Brother John (08-09-2007),DavidCC (08-09-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-09-2007),nelson (08-09-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007),thedan (08-09-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: Regarding Mr. LaTourrette's Speed Stuff...

So what exactly is the info for the 18th?

I really want to go, but I don't know that I'll have much luck finding it if I drive aimlessly through Santa Rosa.

Please post the info again (in an appropriate thread) and I'll be there with bells on......and a gi.

I may even be able to bring friends.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    I was goig to post on an existing thread, but it got closed before I got to it. That thread paralled one going on at another forum, in which someone posted a link to one of Dr. L's pages, and a claim that he was poppin moves out fast enough that regular karate guys couldn't track them. Someone called BS on this, so I posted the following.Please be aware that I have no affiliation with Dr. L., have not read or seen much of his stuff (small snippets hither & yon, but don't own any books or tapes, etc.), and am not on his payroll. I'm responding to the "impossibility" of physical perfomance improvements as effects of shifts in mental positions.

The post:
    Does anybody remember Get Smart? There was a gathering of CONTROL chiefs from around the globe. The Asian affiliate was introduced as being so fast, the eye could not track it. The guy is standing there with his arms tucked into his sleeves, Charlie-Chan like. Smart challenges him to prove it. The guy kiai's, but doesn't visibly move, and Maxwell Smart is catapulted by the unseen blow.

I don't think this level of "unseen" is what Mr. LaTourrette is referring to. Rather, working up to such blindingly quick combinations, that a regular karate guy (note...that is not the same as a kenpo veteran used to moving in faster circles of people, but it can certainly include them) can't track it. I've done demo's where people in the viewing audience...Shotokan, TKD, Shito-ryu, Shorinji, etc., ...didn't see what I did, so I had to break it down into 3 or 4 speeds for them. I had to educate their eyes to track the movements. Very slow walk through, quicker walk through, failry fast, balls out. At balls out speed, they could register the arm movement, but still not track hand formations of strikes selected to fit targets at obscure angles...not in their system, training history, so not in their brain to track it. That's one thing.

Another thing. I spent a long dang time studying some of the mental training disciplines that Mr. LaTourette used, even though I'd never heard of him prior to that (outside of a name on the family tree). Studied NLP with some of the same crew he did; studied hypnosis with the surviving seniors of the hypnotherapy lineage the NLP founders used to create much of their stuff, and so on. I started with an assumption, "The only limitations of the mind and body are those we accept". The techniques were originally created to facilitate improvements in psychologic states, and specific behaviors extending from those states. I.e., helping depressed people who don't assert themselves break a viscious cycle by having them "step into a you who is strong and confident", and while maintaining that feeling, mentally rehearse the next time they might wish to assert themselves. This increased the likelihood of positive behaviors in future tenses. I switched it. The future I wanted was "twice as fast in 5 Swords", "thorugh a stack of 10 bricks" (when 5 was a previous record), or some such thing. I shortly came to realize that there was always room to do more still. What if 2x faster on 5 swords placed me at only 5/10 on a 10-point scale of possibility? What, then, would 6 look like? 7? What if, when I got to the top of the mountain at 10 out of 10, it was only to look up at a higher mountain...and the 10 I reached is really only a 1 on a 100-point scale? I worked out -- often at the expense of my student's poor joints and muscles -- a method for not only achieving known limits, but for expanding a concept of what limits were. Establishing new horizons to reach for. Some of these guys got scary good, scary fast.

Literally spooked by the implications of what I'd stumbled accross, I shelved the project. It was too much to process, and I wasn't the guy for the job. But what absolutely cemented for me in that process is that:

1. The mind and body are inextricably linked, such that...minor changes in mental position can drive major changes in physical performance.

2. What the practicing population lack is a specific method for establishing starting points, then creeping or sprinting past them. If they were provided a mechanism or methodology, dramatic improvements in performance could be obtained.

3. Most people do not want dramatic performance improvement. It's scary to find a switch in your head that can double, triple, or quadruple your power and skill in a couple hours, when you've been spending 20 years before that to get where you are. Embracing the model infers some other things that are scary or unpleasant to sit with (at least for me, as most of my life is an uncontrolled wreck)...particularly, if small mental shifts drive big changes, what inadvertent shifts inform my personality and the results I get in my life? My career? My relationships with family, the women I've known, friends? What would happen...or what could I make happen...if I used this to make different shifts? Instead of kenpo, maybe an attitude change towards money? Or love?

The last half of number 3 is why nobody I know has stayed with this very long. It's one thing to whip out a self defense technique like you've been training just it for 20 more years than you really have; quite another to then go home to an angry wife and inbox full of bills, and wonder what would happen if...nahh!!! That would just upset the applecart we've all gotten used to.

So, what I'm getting to is this: Dr. John has applied himself to marketing and an income from his technology. I would not ask him to compromise his terms around his monies to provide a free demo. So I will. I invite the collective all y'all to come by on a training night (or a weekend with enough advanced notice...it's usually when I pay "family tax") and go through the process. Takes a couple hours to lay the groundwork, set a benchmark, do the routine, re-measure benchmark, do it again, etc. It will give you the hands on opportunity to see for yourself what happens when you plug into the mind-body connection, and allow it to drive your kenpo...as opposed to dragging it along with or behind your kenpo.

On August 18th, we're having an Ohana event in Santa Rosa. If you're a local board reader, come by. If you don't want to spend 10 whopping bucks for a day full of kenpo seminars by distinguished guests and seniors followed by good bread-breaking and BS-ing after, then come by towards the end of the day...and when everybody breaks for the BBQ afterwards, I'll stay on the mat and walk you though the process. Then you can decide for yourself if it's BS, amazing, or just so-so. And if you pick a good biomechanically flowing technique, I'll even have you moving at the end of the session faster than an untrained eye or unrefined kenpo eye can track. We'll even videotape the before and after's, so you can have them for reference, and post the success or failure of it on youtube for everyone to see, if you wanna. My product warning is this: Tapping into the inner recesses of mind sometimes also rouses things that may have been better left unroused...some people find themselves needing to process traumatic memories or emotions they had previously buried or forgotten; just something about digging deep and dialing in that shakes some wierd stuff outta the tree. Just so you can't say I didn't warn you; now you can come ready.

Then, after having had a personal experience with it -- good or bad -- you'll be in a better position to offer informed criticism.

So..whaddya say? Care to put your mind and body under the microscope and see what happens?

Best Regards,

Dave Crouch, DC
    Certified Master Practitioner and Trainer, Neuro-Linguistic Programming (South-Western Association of Neuro-Linguistic Programmers)
    Certified Master Ericksonian Hypnotherapist (coupla "lineages")
    Dr. Dave,

Nothing but respect for you.
    You always have an open invite here in Nebraska, dont bring any money,you wont need it.
    Your Brother in Kenpo
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Brother John (09-21-2007),Dr. Dave in da house (08-09-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I have no doubt that certain people can blurr the air. In my own demos over the years I have always had to break them down for the audiance, and I don't think I'm that fast. No argument about speed or the ability to get very fast with the correct training. However when a claim is made and is captured on video tape and the strike is way way off target from where it was said to have struck, sonething is a miss. Video doesn't lie. And if the error was a slip, as we all make at one time or another, then perhaps the practioner should have double checked his tapes before selling them. What do you think?
    I'm a 40 year vetran of the martial arts and a cynical-son-of-a-bitch, but I'm also a believer that all things are possible in and with the martial arts and I've met wonderful people in the arts and especialy kenpo. I've seen things over the years that curled my hair, speed, strength, timing. But I stepped out of the martial art scene because the claims got crazy, egos and testosterone just got to deep for me.

Sorry, there I go climbing up on my soap box again.

Kit

PS No claims here, I'm just trying to iron out the wrinkles

KC

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kit For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-09-2007),nelson (08-09-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    So what exactly is the info for the 18th?

I really want to go, but I don't know that I'll have much luck finding it if I drive aimlessly through Santa Rosa.

Please post the info again (in an appropriate thread) and I'll be there with bells on......and a gi.

I may even be able to bring friends.

--Amy
    The Seika Ryu dojo you may have attended some of Mr. Speakmans seminars at. I'm counting on you being there; it was your suggestion that Mr. LaB might come that caused me to ask, and he's coming. If you ain't there for me to point a finger at and say "she did it!"...

We have Mr. LaB for a couple hours, Mr. Chap'el for a couple hours, Mr. Sumner (a Tracy lineage senior) for a couple hours, and a couple of locals including myself. Tom Porter let the other coordinator know he's down for presenting too...I just gotta find out what, so I can add him to the flyer before posting it in final form (who teaches what, when). Dan Cuthbertson of Petaluma kenpo is gonna present some Latosa escrima, I'm gonna do a piece on grafting controlled take-downs to the front end of 5S, followed by a striking set from the knee-up position. Should be fun. Mr. Hale will be hanging out, and Mr. Hebler and Mr. LaTourrette have both threatened to stop by for a bit, but may have other influences modifying their availability. Like I said...should be fun.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson View Post
    Dear Dr. Dave:

What a great post my brother! I'f I was anywhere in the area I'd take you up on you offer. What I would say to you is "Why worry about how many times you can strike someone in one second when one well directed punch should be sufficent?" Allright maybe two homerun punches to lay out a stubborn foe.

Maybe the fact that I'm 6'4'' and weigh around 275 makes me miss the value of hitting someone so many times. I have found that most folks that I've laid a hand on over the years did not end up in the same position that they started in.

I have spoken with Dr. John over the phone and corresponded with him by PM I do respect him. I don't care how much money he makes/has made or whether or not he sells his material. I think the TM stuff that pops up in his posts is a little overblown but who cares about this? I am interested in knowledge plain and simple regardless of the source.

I'm still finding insights in my most basic forms and techniques that I first learned over 30 years ago that amaze me at times. I've stopped counting how many times I've come "full circle" in Kenpo and started at the beginning.

I hope many of our brothers and sisters take you up on your offer. I am willing, ready and able to change my mind on this subject in a proverbial New York minute.

Nelson Kari
    Same process could be used to turbo-charge your favorite 1-2 knockout combo.

I tend to agree with you. I stay with kenpo 5-ish strike combo's, because that's what I was raised on soince a wee rat. But having growed into a 6'3"" 225 pounder, I have rarely had to use a whole gig on someone. I used to tell students, "If you get through a whole sequence, you're doing it wrong. The first 1-3 moves should end it."

D.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

nelson (08-09-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kit View Post
    I have no doubt that certain people can blurr the air. In my own demos over the years I have always had to break them down for the audiance, and I don't think I'm that fast. No argument about speed or the ability to get very fast with the correct training. However when a claim is made and is captured on video tape and the strike is way way off target from where it was said to have struck, sonething is a miss. Video doesn't lie. And if the error was a slip, as we all make at one time or another, then perhaps the practioner should have double checked his tapes before selling them. What do you think?
    I'm a 40 year vetran of the martial arts and a cynical-son-of-a-bitch, but I'm also a believer that all things are possible in and with the martial arts and I've met wonderful people in the arts and especialy kenpo. I've seen things over the years that curled my hair, speed, strength, timing. But I stepped out of the martial art scene because the claims got crazy, egos and testosterone just got to deep for me.

Sorry, there I go climbing up on my soap box again.

Kit

PS No claims here, I'm just trying to iron out the wrinkles

KC
    I've not seen the videos, so I don't know the reference. I will say that I favor strength in structure over speed. Fast motion without some serious hair is pointless to me, so I spend much training time getting people to slow down and shore up...when they do speed back up, the strikes "weigh more". One reason I've been such a fan of Doc Chapel is...having been to his place and seen his guys, they do a rock solid kenpo that ignores speed for the first several layers of learning. Structure and solidity come first. Only after a solid foundation is achieved are his guys given the permission and know-how to go fast. End up looking like Terminator robots whipping through kenpo techs, instead of rag-doll noodles slapping at fluttering moths. And having been "tapped" by some of his littler guys, I wouldn't choose to be on the recieving end of a can of whup-a$$.

I would enjoy the "lab experiment" of taking one of his boyz, and introducing them to the process. It invites the unconscious mind to show the practitioner what the next level looks like, based on their understanding of movement and structure. And his SL4 kids have some excellent foundational understandings.

Be good,

Dave

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (11-07-2007),thedan (08-09-2007)

Thanks

OMG! That sounds like an amazing amount of fun.

My first instructor, Vinton Koklich, lives near Mr. LaBounty. If he's available/interested, may I invite him as well? Perhaps Sigung could mention it if they talk.

--Amy

The Seika Ryu dojo you may have attended some of Mr. Speakmans seminars at. I'm counting on you being there; it was your suggestion that Mr. LaB might come that caused me to ask, and he's coming. If you ain't there for me to point a finger at and say "she did it!"...

We have Mr. LaB for a couple hours, Mr. Chap'el for a couple hours, Mr. Sumner (a Tracy lineage senior) for a couple hours, and a couple of locals including myself. Tom Porter let the other coordinator know he's down for presenting too...I just gotta find out what, so I can add him to the flyer before posting it in final form (who teaches what, when). Dan Cuthbertson of Petaluma kenpo is gonna present some Latosa escrima, I'm gonna do a piece on grafting controlled take-downs to the front end of 5S, followed by a striking set from the knee-up position. Should be fun. Mr. Hale will be hanging out, and Mr. Hebler and Mr. LaTourrette have both threatened to stop by for a bit, but may have other influences modifying their availability. Like I said...should be fun.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

These over lapping events make me have to choose. I dont like that.
    I will be at the Frank Soto gig on those dates. I look forward to hearing all about your event, and I will share my experience with you all as well.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    OMG! That sounds like an amazing amount of fun.

My first instructor, Vinton Koklich, lives near Mr. LaBounty. If he's available/interested, may I invite him as well? Perhaps Sigung could mention it if they talk.

--Amy
    Invite whomever you like! My only, very serious request, is some sort of a head count or RSVP prior to the day itself. We have to shop the food, and I don't wanna buy for 50, and only 10 show, or 10, and 50 show. If I'm off by a couple people, we can wing it. But big under or over-buys for food is kinduva drag.

Be good to see you there!

D.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

amylong (08-09-2007)

Thanks

Invite whomever you like! My only, very serious request, is some sort of a head count or RSVP prior to the day itself. We have to shop the food, and I don't wanna buy for 50, and only 10 show, or 10, and 50 show. If I'm off by a couple people, we can wing it. But big under or over-buys for food is kinduva drag.

D.
    Dr. Dave,

Your a big man, wouldnt you just eat the extra people ?
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

D.
    I WISH I could be there mate. Unfortunately RL is in the way. Pity I'm on the wrong coast.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Dr. Dave,

Your a big man, wouldnt you just eat the extra people ?
    I usually only try to snack on the underbelts. Hmmm, white belts; the other white meat.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

amylong (08-09-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-09-2007),Mikael151 (08-09-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    I WISH I could be there mate. Unfortunately RL is in the way. Pity I'm on the wrong coast.
    Boy, no kiddin'. We'll have to find a way to remedy such things for future events

D.

Thanks

I usually only try to snack on the underbelts. Hmmm, white belts; the other white meat.

Taste like chicken ?
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

I would enjoy the "lab experiment" of taking one of his boyz, and introducing them to the process. It invites the unconscious mind to show the practitioner what the next level looks like, based on their understanding of movement and structure. And his SL4 kids have some excellent foundational understandings.

Be good,

Dave
    Isn't that how humanity was destroyed in Terminator 3?

He will surely reach Super-Saiyan level 3.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

Thanks
    Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,484 Posts

I've been doing my best to stay out of this, but I'll just weigh in with one experience that i have had.

I used to belong to a health club/gym, and they brought in someone to do a free seminar in "Asian healing arts". This person, who I will not name out of politeness because his is somewhat famous in the Chinese martial arts world, would demonstrate his amazing healing technique, based on ancient Chinese methods and his own "energy research", or something to that effect.

At that time I had been suffering with a sore patellar ligament, for a number of months. The seminar was free, I'm a curious-minded person, so I decided hey, why not. Let's see what this is all about.

So I arrived and sat down for the show. His assistant introduced him, after giving testimony to how he turned her life around and all the money that has come into her life after she became a true believer in this person's method, and how this would just change everyone's life all we had to do was drink some cool-aid halleluya. Kind of weird, but ok, i'm still willing to suspend my disbelief.

Then the guy shows up and begins talking about how he had developed this amazing healing method thru Chinese energy work and chi gong and mental powers and whatnot. Not only could he heal us of our ailments, but if we had a loved-one with an illness or injury, all we had to do was show him a picture of that person and he could heal him/her from a distance, thru that picture. And he figured out how to do this all after decades of research, but he could teach it all to us in a mere weekend workshop if we would all just sign up for his seminar and drop some $500 on the table. He was really just there to sell his workshop, so we could all become healers and make TONS of MONEY thru this. How generous of him.

But for the critical-minded non-believers, he was willing to give some demonstrations. So some people from the audience stood up and volunteered to be a demonstration. They had sore spots and injuries and maladies, and whatnot. They would stand up next to him, he would sort of waive his arms over their body, make some diagnosis about some deep-rooted mental anguish that they must have suffered at a very young age, mumble a few majik words, snap his fingers, and say "you're healed!"

And amazingly enough, some of these people said "hey, I feel better!"

Then he was about to move one, but I wanted to take a shot at this, given my sore patellar ligament. So I got up, told him the problem, and he began the healing process. Waived his arms, told me I was bitten by a dog as a child and that fear has stayed with me and is causing me illness and injury (not true, I love dogs), snapped his fingers and said "there ya go!" I flexed my knee, and said "nope, it's still there". So he tries it again. Still no help. At that point I decided to not create a scene, so I just said "hmmm... maybe...."

He suggested that I could sign up for a full-scale healing session for a mere $50, and that would help me further.

This was such clear charlatanry, and I could not believe people were talking about signing up for this nonsense and parting with their cash.

I remain very skeptical about these kinds of claims, and Mr. Latourrette's website reminds me very strongly of that experience that I had. It has very much the same flavor.

And the thing is, I actually WANT to believe in this stuff. I love the idea of it. It's often said that the typical person only taps into about 10% of the brain's true capability. I like to think that maybe there are all kinds of switches buried deep inside our heads, just waiting for us to figure out how to trip them. Maybe we could actually read minds, or levitate, or raise our physical capabilities exponentially, hey, the sky's the limit.

But I have not seen anything yet that makes me believe someone has done so. All I see is someone selling "secrets" on video for a whole lot of money. The secret of becoming a money magnet (another offer on the website) seems to me is just calling yourself a guru and selling "secrets" on video for a ton of money to a bunch of weak-minded sheeple who are too ignorant to know better and just bought themselves a bridge to boot.

Dave, I appreciate the offer you have made to demonstrate this issue, and to do it openly and without demanding a huge payout for it. If I were able to attend the kahuna, I'd definitely stick around and see. Maybe Ted will check it out and I can talk to him about it later, since I'm studying with him now. Maybe I'll arrange for a time someday to wander up into your neighborhood and we can talk about this and get some hands-on with it. I'd appreciate that opportunity someday. Thanks.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (08-09-2007),nelson (08-09-2007)

Thanks

Michael:

Please wander up when you have the time. I, too, sat through Mr. Yuen's gig. Left. I sat through many similar things as a Chiro student, and had my fill then (I renamed an elective course they made us take "Chiropractic Review of Alternative Procedures", or CRAP). One was a seminar for a technique called NET. Funny thing is, when not being used to sell fish, it has some merit. But the guy doing his demo had something to prove, and was good at chacanery. He didn't count on having me as an uke.

Years of jujutsu & such have me paying close attention to the directions someone drives a limb of mine in. This guy was using muscle testing to determine what type of charged memory and what age range the event occurred in. He decided it must be as a kid, something involving my mother. He tested for it. Nope. Did some mumbo-jumbo. Tested again. Nope. After multiple misses, and an audience waiting for the next piece, he rigged the resistance of the muscle challange. He had been pressing towards 6:00. When the time came to make his point, he did a quick impulse towards 6:00 to get me to shore up against it, then drove an impulse towards 7:00, in a vector I didn't have a chance to set up resistance against. I chose to make a scene, and call BS on the trick, explaining what he just did to the audience. He was also using language patterns with conversationl hypnosis phrases and intonations, and had embedded the NET intervention in some NLP proceduires. So I called him on that, too, saying, "All you're doing is combining muscle testing with a combination of Collapsing Anchors and a Change Personal History pattern. Why not just tell people what you're actually doing?" He didn't deny the NLP thing, and in fact went on to comment on how/why he implemented it, and who he trained with. I have never been invited back (go figure).

I don't teach levitation or other stuff. Just how to plug in to things that are already in there, just not getting used. And doing a free demo precludes me from ever being able to charge for it later. Once I put the guy through it for the demo, he now knows how. The telephone line gets installed, and he can pick up the line anytime he wants, for any form of physical improvement. What would I charge him for later? (maybe I can throw his back out for him in the process and charge him for Chiro care). Like I said; don't know Dr. John's stuff, haven't even read the sites or ads. Prolly won't, so I can keep walking my own path without outside influence veering direction. I am responding to the idea that such improvements are impossible, and inviting skeptics to come and find out for themselves. They still won't be able to levitate or read minds, but they can jack into a procedure that communicates with the part of them that knows how to do something better than they might be aware. A part that typically reveals it's wisdom through insight in little bits, because that's all we ask of it.

After the Ohana, gimme a ring, and bring your skeptics hat and videocam. That's always one way to ensure a lack of hocus-pocus. And I promise I won't coax any hallelujah's out of you, and you are free to draw whatever conclusions you might. No hinky crap.

D.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,139 Times in 1,484 Posts

Michael:

Please wander up when you have the time. I, too, sat through Mr. Yuen's gig.

After the Ohana, gimme a ring, and bring your skeptics hat and videocam. That's always one way to ensure a lack of hocus-pocus. And I promise I won't coax any hallelujah's out of you, and you are free to draw whatever conclusions you might. No hinky crap.

D.
    Funny that you know exactly who I am talking about.

We'll talk later about it and see when might be a good time. Thanks!
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Boy, no kiddin'. We'll have to find a way to remedy such things for future events

D.
    *pulls my shirt down over my white belt*

Um...you bet sir!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links