Thread: What does it mean?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default What does it mean?

..yet another thread inspired thread.

What do these particular parts of the creed mean to you? From your perspective, how are they applicable to one's character or the way in which one should conduct oneself?

(1) I come to you with karate, my empty hands....

(2) ...I have no weapons......

(3) ..but if forced to defend myself.....

(4) ..my principles or my honor...

(5) ..should it be a matter of life & death...

(6) ...or right or wrong....

(7) ..then here is my weapon, karate, my empty hands.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Brother John (08-09-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: What does it mean?

Things like creeds and oaths carry a LOT of weight with me! I'm a very symbolic person, so I interpret a lot of it not only in a very literal way, but also on a symbolic basis.....trying to put more depth to it.
    Gichin Funakoshi was the man responsible for consolidating what had previously been variously termed "Karate-Jutsu" and "Kempo" and "Naha or Shuri-Te" or "Okinawa-Te" and making it "Karate-do" ...and changing the Kanji or character for "Kara" from indicating "China" to "Empty". So many Okinawan masters objected to this alteration in Kanji. Funakoshi sensei stuck to his guns though....and it stuck. Many Okinawan masters objected on the basis that "It's NOT a weaponless art!"...as most systems did include weapons practice. Master Funakoshi addressed this in his book "Karate-do Kyohan" by stating that it was "empty" in the philosophical sense that one should be empty of preconceived notions or bias, and that we should be 'empty' of ego driven motivations.

I like that.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (08-10-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    Many Okinawan masters objected on the basis that "It's NOT a weaponless art!"...as most systems did include weapons practice. Master Funakoshi addressed this in his book "Karate-do Kyohan" by stating that it was "empty" in the philosophical sense that one should be empty of preconceived notions or bias, and that we should be 'empty' of ego driven motivations.

I like that.

Your Brother
    John
    I like that too. Good lesson to learn for us all.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I like that too. Good lesson to learn for us all.
    Lets go deeper then someone elses words with this shall we?

I think this is a wonderfull topic, and Dr. John raised some very good points on another thread. It will take a little time for me to respond to this thread, because I need to think abouit what those words mean to me.

Brother John, and Celtic keep your post coming they are great.

My Respects
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

The Creed

Mr. Celtic posed a wonderful question intended for each of us. This needs to be thought of on a personal basis.

I come to you with Karate

Karate for me is the combative art that I have studied for a lifetime. The lessons of life and the skill of self-defense are interwoven with my personal experience, morals, beliefs, and the sacrifices that my family and I have made during my study. Laden with triumphs, trials, some heartaches and losses. The art has shaped my character and has become who I am, engrained within my everyday life.

My empty hands

I must present myself in a non-threatening manner, open and willing to resolve conflict on a physical, political, emotional, and physiological level

I have no Weapons

As a person skilled with the knowledge of my arts, I am reminded that the world and everything in it is a tool for my use in the combative arts. I am also aware that I depend on my skill to be applied as a weapon when needed. For I am the weapon I have become, and the most powerful tool I have is in the words I write and speak.

But should I be forced

This is a statement that strikes the very essence of who I am. I have been to countries, which do not allow the freedom of choice, and I have defended this right with my life.

To defend my principles or honor

This to is a statement that rest in my very being. The words and actions that people live by define who they are. Often someone will compromise their beliefs and integrity to fit into the main stream of popular thinking on-order to gain acceptances by their piers. Moral courage is having the conviction to hold firm to your own morals and beliefs.

Should it be a matter of life or death?

This reminds me just how devastating Kenpo is and the level of mental preparedness I must be willing to employ in its usage. I am also reminded of the legal ramifications that may follow.

Of right or wrong?

Perception of what one believes to be right or wrong isnít the same as what is right or wrong on a legal basis. Nor is it something that can be judge on the moral values that society places on us. Right and wrong is something that we are born with. We know when we have been done wrongly.

Then here are my weapons Karate my Empty Hands

This relates to when I have to use my skill, I will use every part of my being, my skill, my mind, my heart, my knowledge, everything within my power at that time, based on the need and the situation.

Again this is what the creed represents to me, others may disagree, thatís ok
    However these or my words, and not meant for someone else.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Brother John (08-09-2007),HKphooey (08-09-2007),Mikael151 (08-10-2007),Sentinel (08-09-2007)

Thanks

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this Mr. Marshall.
    Lots of food for thought.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this Mr. Marshall.
    Lots of food for thought.

Your Brother
    John
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks

Taken as a whole, the creed says to me that I have good intentions (empty hands, no weapons) and hope to not have conflict...
    but is fair warning that should I NEED to fight, should there be a conflict, I have all that I need (preparation & empty hands) to deal with it.

The first time in the creed that "Karate" is used, it's speaking of coming w/out weapons. In other words, it's those times in our lives when we can use those aspects of 'karate' that do not have to do with fighting to deal with life: perseverance, patience, persistence, dedication, a calm mind, honor, respect...etc. This is when our 'empty hands' represent our intentions for peace.

The second time speaks of the result of being 'forced' into a circumstance where we must do what is right what is needed....and what's needed is to deal with conflict on a physical level... NOW we come with a Karate that IS physical and visceral, our hands have now become weapons themselves. Hoping to bring about a resolution to the strife and discord and return to the original state of peace and accord.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ David Bly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (08-09-2007)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    not everyone says it like that how about:

"I come to you with empty hands"

Thanks

I look at it as this.

If someone forced my hand, my hand is not prejudge-mental, but will

deliver judgement based on the threat.

You play, you pay.

I'd rather not play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI