Thread: Accupuncture in Kenpo

Thanks

Default Accupuncture in Kenpo

just sending a post here that iv gotten involved with on myspace.. i dunno i just seem to find many agreeable people on myspace's martial arts groups or boards.. i like it here the best.. Lord forbid you post on a martial arts board. all they are are MMA kids saying they're the best and all. lol

but this post it's a guy asking if people include any kyusho or dim mak in their Kenpo training..

and my reply was basically. its useful to know, but not something i would believe in relying solely upon.. id go for reflex points, striking muscles and tendons, rather than specific points related to chi. because i hardly think that the same things that work when a person is just standing there are going to work on someone in a totally different posture, in motion, totally resistant state of mind, amped up on adrenaline (or possibly other things).

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...1CC0B015221928

if anyone wants to join in, or start a similar post on here. hey rock on..
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: Accupuncture in Kenpo

I understand where you are coming from, and years ago.....would have said the same things.

Until I met someone that taught Kyushojitsu.
    I thought their stuff was pretty bunk, that it was 1/2 hype and 1/2 show. When I met this instructor and became friends with him I let him know my misgivings, he laughed and said that he felt the same way before he experienced it for himself.

There are different levels of kyusho-theory. Some that rely totally on "Ki-flow", others that totally rely on knowledge of anatomical hot-buttons (true "nerve" activations, not Ki) and some that are a mix of both. He told me that he was first an extreme skeptic, then an 'anatomical only' person... and now he's more toward the 'mix of both' type from all that he's seen and experienced. I've studied under him now and he's helped me to apply this knowledge to Kenpo techniques...and it's amazing. It's not all about "knock-outs" either. That's an attention getter, and for many....it works, it gets attention. But actually applying the knowledge in a 'combat' scenario is different.
    He showed me, I was still skeptical.
    He had me FEEL it....MOVED me with it...........made my body do what HE wanted it to do with little more than a simple poke of a knuckle in the right place....
    and you know what Mr. Parker said? "To feel is to believe".
    I felt.
    I believe.

Adrenaline enters into it, sure. But it enters into and affects EVERY area of our art. Think of techs that require you to stay loose and relaxed, coordinated (like Darting Viper). THEN...think of the adrenal dump that'd happen when you are grabbed by the throat and pinned to the wall......
    Adrenaline causes your blood vessels to constrict and blood flows toward the core of the body (defense mechanism). ..and you need to stay relaxed?? HOPE you've done your bagillians of repetitions!
    There's fine targeting in all of Kenpo.
    Kyusho activations aren't all that different.

Yes, things are altered when applied in combat on non-cooperative/resistant fighters. That's for anything we do as well. Thundering Hammers won't do nearly as well in these type of circumstances either, but we'll train the crap out of it until it does work well for us.
    No different with Kyusho. Just train until you are proficient upside down and backwards, in the rain....blindfolded.

Nobody says to rely only on the use of Kyushojitsu. That'd be silly. That's like saying that the only part of a ICBM that's important is the targeting/guidance system........without paying attention to any of the factors of the war-head or delivery system or arming mechanism or propulsion systems....etc. Kyusho is nothing more than making the greatest use of the bodies structural liabilities in order to exploit them to get the most bang for your Kenpo buck.
    But you're still going to have to block, strike, kick, poke, push, shuffle, pull, rip, tear, jerk, sweep, buckle, trip, throw, lock, choke, maneuver, dodge, jam, break, claw, rake, slice, thrust, whip, hammer, stomp, check, hug, knee, elbow, hook, jab, spin and take down with the skills you learn in your art....Kyusho or no Kyusho.

Kyusho is just one more tool in your bag.
    simple as that.
    I've found it to be a very useful tool in my bag, adding a new layer of effectiveness and efficiency to most of what I do.

Good subject.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

thankyou very much sir.. *salute* anyone else going to contribute? im curious about these points in existing kenpo techniques. specific ones, not general areas.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

For instane TW 12 works much better than TW11 in crossing talon.
    Belgian American Kenpo Association
    http://home.scarlet.be/kenpo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpoep View Post
    For instane TW 12 works much better than TW11 in crossing talon.
    know to have the index finger (iv seen index and middle as well) extended, keeps an open circuit. as well as the something relating to the tendsion of the hand overall.. if i do use the finger to dig in, i go for spots between muscles. never know of any specific places to dig at.

but the points, are they based pain compliance, or do they have a particular effect?

ok looking at the reference library (still have no clue where exactly on the arm) i think i have an idea what you're talking about now.. iv always just struck at a slightly upward angle right above/below the elbow, right on the ulnar nerve, and rolled with my forearm, moving the person's arm up slightly, then downward/inward to my opposite hip. thought thats pretty much standard tho right?
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    ok looking at the reference library (still have no clue where exactly on the arm) i think i have an idea what you're talking about now.. iv always just struck at a slightly upward angle right above/below the elbow, right on the ulnar nerve, and rolled with my forearm, moving the person's arm up slightly, then downward/inward to my opposite hip. thought thats pretty much standard tho right?
    Not how we teach that part.

We almost never use acu points for strikes...

...only for healing.

And the shot you are talking about does work much better as a vibrational shot done on the tendon of the muscle.

DOC

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links