Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think when you meditate?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default What do you think when you meditate?

Greetings and Salutations!

On the MT Forum there's a post about meditation. I was wondering what you guys think when you meditate at the beginning of class and also at the end. Does anyone here also meditate outside of class? How is that different then the meditation in class?

In the beginning of class I meditate to block the outside world and focus in the here and now, so that I may be more fully present in the studio.

At the end of class I meditate to review the principles and concepts.

When I meditate outside of class (home, park, mountains, beaches), I never go so deep that my mind is blank. I meditate as a relaxing exercise to give thanks to God as I behold His beautiful creation all around me. I also use meditation to help me breathe deeper. I have used meditation exercises to help become more sensitive to my surroundings.

Your turn (I shine the flashlight in your direction).......
    “Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.”

~Dali Lama

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: What do you think when you meditate?

When meditating, Don't ThinK!"
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I focus on stomach breathing and trying to send energy down my centerline. Sometimes I even manage to reach the point to where I don't think at all which is as it should be.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings.

At the beginning of class, I activate my teaching/learning uptime awareness resources, connect my energies, activate good posture, etc.

At the end, I do a positive, action-goal oriented affirmation, review in 10 seconds what was done on the whole class, so my unconscious can take the whole class again in 10 seconds, program the skills to be available anytime I need them in the future, reinforce the programming to get better everyday, etc.

Thus I stack these actions into the meditation, so those are very intense 10-15 seconds.

Outside of class, I do Mental Action Training, thus it is an active process instead of a passive process. The centering the mind part, after 10 hours of cumulative, competent training can be done in less than 10 seconds.

Enjoy!

Juan M. Mercado

P.S. As you might guess, I do a lot of these mental action things... hence the username.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (07-23-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Mediitation, and all the things that we should think of and do ( breathing,focussing,remembering,etc,etc,etc.) Seems like a lot of work just to relax. I dont know, but for me and my students it is just a chance to let our heart catch up.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greeting

When you train it and program it right, all that is as effortless as taking a deep breath and relaxing.

Those are unconscious processes that take no conscious effort to do, mostly intent. The meditation stance and the hai ken (covered fist) serve as a trigger for all these processes.

Consciously, you just relax and enjoy the change. Or not.

To some, it's just a funny way to stand before and after class.

Juan M. Mercado

8. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-23-2007)

Ray
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

My days of eastern style meditation are over. In the beginning of class, during our opening Meditating Horse I sometimes say a silent prayer asking that no one will get hurt during practice.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ray For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-23-2007),Mikael151 (07-23-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    My days of eastern style meditation are over. In the beginning of class, during our opening Meditating Horse I sometimes say a silent prayer asking that no one will get hurt during practice.
    Im with you
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Yes I actually take that time to thank God for allowing me the opportunity to be in class, and that we all will learn something productive and beneficial. Then at the end of class I thank God again for the great training session.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (07-23-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

I obsessively wonder if I turned off the stove, or left an iron plugged in. I sometimes also wonder if the garlic I ate will reek as I breathe on partners in drills. Or, sometimes I just stand there in a meditative horse, and hope I don't screw up too much.

I forgot to mention: I do these as specific distractor tasks for my conscious mind, so that my unconscious mind can go about the business of potentiating resources or associating ideas to memory connections, for the same reasons Prof. Mental meditates (review, future-pacing, etc.). I liked the idea of being mentally lazy so much -- while allowing my other-than-conscious mind to take care of business -- that I do my best to just remember to get out of the way and let Deep Mind do it's thing. Sort of like remembering to forget all of the things we no longer need to remember, starting now. Or, wait, wasn't that the comment about wearing a tie? all of these changes in at an unconscious level, effortlessly? No, sorry...it was counting the coins in my hand as pocket change everything on the inside to allow these new learnings to penetrate completely, until you're really very good at it, even though you may not have known so, yet.

Because you have an unconscious mind, and a conscious mind. And while your conscious mind is busy considering some other idea, you can easily allow your unconscious mind to begin to form a new understanding...one that leads to an interesting ability...perhaps the ability to do something better, in a place that matters more...and even though you might not know exactly what that is until you get there, isn't it comforting to know...really know...that you can, freely and easily? Even if you didn't know you were at the time? More curious, is how efforts to resist change at the other-than-conscious level eventually compel change to happen, naturally. So, go ahead...endeavor to resist, and notice the improvements anyway.

Or something like that. Already.

Be good in the embrace of change,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (07-23-2007),profesormental (07-25-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Actually, the way you phrased your statement does ATTRACT "people getting hurt during practice".

Sorry.

The was the unconscious mind processes info is totally different than the way the conscious mind processes information.

Any hyposis book will give you the proper affirmation/prayer.

So will any NLP book.

Or study Dr. Dossey's "Be Careful of What You Pray For Because You Might Get it".

DOC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domino3700 View Post
    Yes I actually take that time to thank God for allowing me the opportunity to be in class, and that we all will learn something productive and beneficial. Then at the end of class I thank God again for the great training session.
    This was done very good and in alignment with the subconscious processing methods.

DOC

18. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

RDCParker (07-24-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stoneheart View Post
    I focus on stomach breathing and trying to send energy down my centerline. Sometimes I even manage to reach the point to where I don't think at all which is as it should be.
    For what purpose?

The central meridian goes UP and NOT down.

And that meridian is the hypnosis meridian. When you zip it downwards you are now opening up the chakras that go into that central meridian up to other people's emotions and thought-forms in your own envirnment.

Just REAL curious.

DOC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    When meditating, Don't ThinK!"
    Actually meditation does have a "process" that must be followed to get to the level of mind (focus, intention and brain wave)...

...so a routine does need to be installed.

And when at the proper level then some type of "segment intending" should be adhered to or not much will happen.

DOC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
    On the MT Forum there's a post about meditation. I was wondering what you guys think when you meditate at the beginning of class and also at the end. Does anyone here also meditate outside of class? How is that different then the meditation in class?
    Well,

I'm real curious to what you mean by the word meditation.

Meditate means to "think about" and "to comtemplate", "to plan", "to have a purpose".

There is the Majaraji's method. The Silva Method. The Huna Method, thousands of methods.

In the martial arts sense, it is NORMALLY getting the clients to pay attention to what is going on in the dojo.

DOC
    Who's been teaching hypnosis since 66 and mediation since 1980.

Thanks

I try not to think at all.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

I envision myself if the water surfing or on the slopes boarding. The two times I am most peaceful and rested.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Depends on what the purpose of the meditation is. I don't mediate on my lesson material the same way that meditate for introspection purposes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HKphooey View Post
    I envision myself if the water surfing or on the slopes boarding. The two times I am most peaceful and rested.
    Both of your examples are action (associated) done in the present.

They both are also examples of a skill you are very competant at....

They are both forms of your own manner of relaxation.

When I first started Active Meditation I did the same thing. I saw myself out there sparring, then I stepped in the body and I felt real good.

My instructor told me "that is NOT meditation".

...BUT it could the the "mental relaxation" portion of a complete mind body relaxation with comes BEFORE meditation.

DOC

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I focus on various parts of my body, getting to the place where I can focus on every part of my body simultaneously. Well, I say every part, but I am not really that specific yet.

Once I am focusing "whole body," I attempt to expand my awareness outside my body, outside the room I am in, etc.

It is interesting. I come out of it energized, and have done it enough that it is fairly natural and quick now. Haven't really explored other methods, although I played with Silva about 20 years ago.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links