Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worries About Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Worries About Kenpo

Hello ya'll.

I have been studying martial arts for awhile now. I've trained at some really good places, while others have been well, not so good. Recently I have been given the choice of studying either Kenpo or BJJ. I think I'm gonna do the Kenpo, cause not only did I like the teacher more, it's cheaper, but it seems more well rounded. (they offer Shootfighting so we know how to defend on the ground)

But my only worry is all the techniques. The style of Kenpo, is Tracy Kenpo Karate. There are 30 techs per belt, and some kata as well. I just worry that I'll never be able to remember all the techniques.

Is that normal? Will I?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kickboxer90 For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-20-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Re: Worries About Kenpo

There is a lot of material in Kenpo, You will learn the material no doubt.
    Then you will forget the names, have to look up the description in order to teach them. And then you will realize that you have learned motion, and the techs or just examples of motion, and the self defense is just a by-product of that study.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

hemi (07-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I just dont want to freeze up and forget everything. (which is a fear I have if I take Kenpo) But I like the art very much. Also I have another slight worry. I would like to compete in Kickboxing and MMA. And some people say that I'll get killed if I take Tracy Kenpo. But I dont believe so. I noticed that Kenpo's striking is unorthodox and powerful, and their shootfighting is good on the ground.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

I struggle with the techniques. The names are confusing and there are so many of them. With practice...much practice, you WILL learn them. It helps to teach lower ranks techniques you've learned...helps cement them in your mind.
    About freezing up, the best thing for that is just do something. Often, even in testing, I will be given an attack and I forget the technique (or just havent matched the movement to the name by the time the punch flies) and I block and counter with something. I usually get a "nice, now let's see the real technique" On the street you are not going to be really using set techniques and certainly won't be thinking of their names.
    Just go to class and learn the stuff, when you are ready you will test.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

You can write a paragraph? Could you do that at in first grade? Most likely not. You looked at the 26 letters and said, "how am I going to learn to form all those stange characters?" In time you learn all the letters and then a teacher told you that you willlearn to spell cat. Really? That is too hard. Then you learned multiple words to form a sentence. Those sentences were short and sometimes out of order, or were not grammatically correct. You then learned the grammar (Ok most of us ) rules and formed longer sentences. As years go by, you learned to write paragraphs and become creative.

If I asked your to spell "cat", today, you would not even have to think.

Nothing happens overnight. It takes time, practice and motivation.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

Anoise (07-20-2007),John Brewer (07-20-2007),SifuDangeRuss (07-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thank you all for the helpful advice.

I got interested in Tracy Kenpo when I found out that Bart Vale was not only a Tracy guy, but a 7th degree in the system!

Would you mind if I posted the school's website and you could tell if me it's a good Kenpo school?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kickboxer90 View Post
    Thank you all for the helpful advice.

I got interested in Tracy Kenpo when I found out that Bart Vale was not only a Tracy guy, but a 7th degree in the system!

Would you mind if I posted the school's website and you could tell if me it's a good Kenpo school?
    No need to. Bart Vale knows his stuff. I am prob. going to get some flack with this next statement but thats ok.

Kenpo contains principles of physical application of movement. The borrowed force we use you will find in other arts, the locks throws sweeps,take downs you find in other arts we have. To me the MMA has taken several of these concepts and created their own system with their own thoughts regarding these concepts. We all borrow what works from others. Kenpo just provides me with the MMA application from day one.As far as using your Kenpo, remember its not a sport.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Kickboxer90 (07-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Worries About Kenpo

Very well said, very put together. I know Kenpo isnt a sport, but I would like to try and compete in sport with my Kenpo. Kenpo guys these days seem to compete in MMA.

Bart Vale (Tracy Kenpo)
    Chuck Liddell (Hawaiian Kempo)
    Drew Fickett (Kajukenbo)
    Jeff Newton (American Kenpo)
    Rick Davis (Tracy Kenpo)

Also here is the school's website. -

http://www.selfdefensestudios.com/index.htm

Tell me what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    No need to. Bart Vale knows his stuff. I am prob. going to get some flack with this next statement but thats ok.

Kenpo contains principles of physical application of movement. The borrowed force we use you will find in other arts, the locks throws sweeps,take downs you find in other arts we have. To me the MMA has taken several of these concepts and created their own system with their own thoughts regarding these concepts. We all borrow what works from others. Kenpo just provides me with the MMA application from day one.As far as using your Kenpo, remember its not a sport.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kickboxer90 For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-20-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

I would like to compete in Kickboxing and MMA.
    Then that is what you should be training for.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-20-2007),Mikael151 (07-20-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

But there's nowhere around me. The BJJ place is $200 a month for 2 classes a week. The Kenpo place is $149 a month for unlimited.

Also I thought I made it clear that the Kenpo place does train for MMA as well. Even though they are a self defense school, the instructor said "we do have a guys here that train for MMA, if thats the route you want to go, I'll help you"

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post

Thanks

Very well said, very put together. I know Kenpo isnt a sport, but I would like to try and compete in sport with my Kenpo. Kenpo guys these days seem to compete in MMA.

Bart Vale (Tracy Kenpo)
    Chuck Liddell (Hawaiian Kempo)
    Drew Fickett (Kajukenbo)
    Jeff Newton (American Kenpo)
    Rick Davis (Tracy Kenpo)

Also here is the school's website. -

http://www.selfdefensestudios.com/index.htm

Tell me what you think.
    You have done your research, one sugestion, you worry about the amount of material. All the techs,and forms,and on top of this you want to study other disiplines at the same time. Do you think this is the time for this? Perhaps the root system should be the first focus, and after you learn these skills you will have something to compeat with.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Worries About Kenpo

Quote Originally Posted by HKphooey View Post
    You can write a paragraph? Could you do that at in first grade? Most likely not. You looked at the 26 letters and said, "how am I going to learn to form all those stange characters?" In time you learn all the letters and then a teacher told you that you willlearn to spell cat. Really? That is too hard. Then you learned multiple words to form a sentence. Those sentences were short and sometimes out of order, or were not grammatically correct. You then learned the grammar (Ok most of us ) rules and formed longer sentences. As years go by, you learned to write paragraphs and become creative.

If I asked your to spell "cat", today, you would not even have to think.

Nothing happens overnight. It takes time, practice and motivation.
    Wow. Couldn't have explained it better myself. Well said HK Phooey!

But of course...I'll try anyway!

Don't be intimidated by the sheer volume of material to learn. Be challenged by it. Had I landed in a simpler system when I began my training, it would never have kept me interested for 30 plus years.

Is there a lot of stuff to learn? Yes. That's a good thing. Just realize that it will be like learning a new language in the beginning.

Is it challenging? Yep. If you're not up to the challenge, just carry around a Louisville Slugger. It's not very elegant, but it takes far less time to master. Most worthwhile propositions take a bit of effort to excel in. Kenpo is no exception.

Can it be done? Survey sez....*Bing-Bing-Bing* Take a look at the other students in the class. Does it appear they have managed to absorb the material? Most of us have managed to slog our way out of the Primordial Ooze of Beginning Kenpo and lived to tell about it. Some of us have even managed to shed our tails and stand upright.

Yes Virginia there IS a Santa Claus and kenpo can be learned.

Good luck and don't be overwelmed in the beginning, it does get easier as time goes on.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Oh no, I dont want to study any other discipline then Kenpo. I said I have studied other styles. I would really just like to focus on Kenpo.

You have done your research, one sugestion, you worry about the amount of material. All the techs,and forms,and on top of this you want to study other disiplines at the same time. Do you think this is the time for this? Perhaps the root system should be the first focus, and after you learn these skills you will have something to compeat with.

Thanks

Oh no, I dont want to study any other discipline then Kenpo. I said I have studied other styles. I would really just like to focus on Kenpo.
    The Shoot fighting and the MMA circuit are seperate disiplines,even if they are taught at a Kenpo school. This is just my point, they distract from the core cirrculum.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

At the school I'm debating on going to teaches Shootfighting with the Kenpo. After doing tech training they'll do Shootfighting.

The Shoot fighting and the MMA circuit are seperate disiplines,even if they are taught at a Kenpo school. This is just my point, they distract from the core cirrculum.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

We have had Kids of 7-12 master the techniques and Kata for at least the levels of Orange through Brown. So don't worry about all the materiel you have to learn. They also competed at all the tournaments and took first place in them. I just seems like a lot at the beginning. You don't learn it all at once. It comes to you gradually and you will be able to learn it.
    Good Luck!!!

I am Most Respectfully, sifuroy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Hello ya'll.

I have been studying martial arts for awhile now. I've trained at some really good places, while others have been well, not so good. Recently I have been given the choice of studying either Kenpo or BJJ. I think I'm gonna do the Kenpo, cause not only did I like the teacher more, it's cheaper, but it seems more well rounded. (they offer Shootfighting so we know how to defend on the ground)

But my only worry is all the techniques. The style of Kenpo, is Tracy Kenpo Karate. There are 30 techs per belt, and some kata as well. I just worry that I'll never be able to remember all the techniques.

Is that normal? Will I?
    The priciples of motion are what you are supposed to remember as a student. The techs, however will be retained for the most part over the course of the years.
    Sean

Thanks

At the school I'm debating on going to teaches Shootfighting with the Kenpo. After doing tech training they'll do Shootfighting.
    Even though it is taught at the same school, shootfighting is not kenpo, kenpo is not shootfighting, they are two seperate things. So you won't be focusing on "just kenpo," I'm not saying thats bad, just what it is.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    That is actually a very good point.

Doc

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

That school is my sister school and Greg and Becky are very accomplished and have a great deal of expeirence behind thier instruction. Dr.John(hope I can call him that) knows them and I'm shure that he can attest to that fact.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]When in doubt, go for the groin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links