Thread: The Kenpo Crest & What It Means

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default The Kenpo Crest & What It Means

Let's take a look at the standard "Parker Patch." How many wear, have worn, or wear a derivative of it?

Why do you wear it? Do you know the symbolism behind it? Do you feel that those that wear it should adhere to the symbolism and meaning of it?

The Tiger
    • Represents earthy strength derived during the early stages of learning. This is the stage where the individual is impressed with his own physical prowess.
    • I don't suppose there would be much debate over this, but I would be interested in any different takes on the concept.
    • The Dragon
      • Represents spirtual stength which comes with seasoning. This mental attitude is attained during the indiviual's later years of training. It is placed above earthly stength (as indicated and observed on the patch) since the individual at this stage has learned to develop humility and self-restraint.
      • The attitude of the Dragon is the ultimate goal of Kenpo. Armed with this attitude an individual will not be afraid of the opponent but of what he can do to the opponent. Thus he turns back and walks away from an unwarranted conflict confident that he could have been the victor.
    I think there could be some debate here.

What behaviors are indicative of demonstrating humilty and self restraint? I don't think of this soley in terms of physical self restraint. I believe this references proper etiquette and good old fashioned manners as well.

I also view the statement concerning conflict to be a bit deeper than simple physical conflict. Many claim that kenpo is a "mental" martial art so I feel this applies to any and all conflicts as well.

If this is so, why is there so much bickering and in-fighting within our art? Why so much apparent ego?
      • The Circle
        • The circle is symbolic of several things:
          1. It depicts life itself, a continuous cycle where there is neither beginning nor end. So is the art of Kenpo, a cycle of perpetual and unending movement or motion. Techniques follow a cycle, movements are part of a cycle, physical prowess, humility and self-restraint are no more than components of a progressive learning cycle.
          2. All moves evolve from a circle whether they are defensive or offensive.
          3. The circle represents the bond of friendship that should continuously exist among Kenpo practitioners.
          4. The circle is the base from which our Alphabet of Motion stems.
    There's that humility and self-restraint thingy again.

Number 3 hits on the "brotherhood" concept. Where is this love today? I don't care what organization or school you're from, I'll get on the mat with any of you. I also respect your opinions and perspectives, even though I may not always agree with them I don't think they make you a lesser kenpoist because we're different.
      • The Dividing Lines
        • The dividing lines in the circle represent:
          1. The original eighteen hand movements, directions in which the hands can travel.
          2. The angles from which you or an opponent can attack or defend.
          3. The pattern in which the feet can move.
    Any comments or insights?

The Colors
    • The various colors represent proficiency, achievement and authority. The circle is Gray, symbolic of the brain (as in "gray matter").The White background is significant of the many beginners who form the base of the Art.Yellow & Orange represent the first level of proficiency, the mechanical stage; the dangerous stage in learning where the student is more impressed with the physical, who thinks he knows all of the answers.Brown, the color of the Tiger's eyes, represents the advance students, though not great in number. At this level the student becomes more observant. His eyes, like that of the Tiger, are keen, ever so watchful and critical, always looking up to the higher levels of preficiency, striving for perfection, preparing for the day he beares the label of an expert.Black represents the level of expert proficiency.Red is that of professorship over and above Black. But, as indicated by the colors of the Dragon, there are still traces of White in the his eye, Yellow and Orange on the his fins, Brown in the iris of his eye, and Black in the pupils of his eye. This is to remind the Professor that he too should always be humble and able to go back to any level, whatever it might be, and perform the things that he expects of others at these levels so as never to demand too much of his students.
    The first paragraph alludes to kenpo being a "thinking" art.

The paragraph on what "yellow and orange" represent I find interesting. Are we suppose to get over being impressed with the physical and thinking we "know all the answers" at some point? LOL

I like the paragraph on "red." It points out that even though the "dragon" is red, it contains the aspects that all the other colors have. Oh, and there's that damn "humble" thing again.... What's up with that?!

The Oriental Writing
    • This is a reminder of the originators of our Art, the Chinese. It is in respect to them, but not that we serve them.The lettering on the left it means Spirit of the Dragon and the Tiger, a constant reminder that we want to attain the spiritual level and and that the physical level is only a stepping stone or vehicle, that we used to reach the higher or spiritual level.The lettering to the right means Kenpo Karate; Law of the Fist and the Empty Hand.
    Oh...so it is Chinese in origin? LOL

What do you think it means to attain a "higher or spiritual level?"

The Shape
    • The top of the crest of the patch is like a roof which gives shelter to all who are under it.The sides are curved conversely because like the roof of a Chinese home it is to send evil back to where it came from, whenever it tries to descend.The bottom forms the shape of an ax, representing the excecutioner.
    "..gives shelter to all who are under it." I think that alludes to the spirit of brotherhood again. Kenpoist should be one family. As with any family though, there are brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. And families do fight, but in the end they stick together.

Do you think that regardless of the bickering, splintering, and in-fighting that if another style or other source "picked on" or "attacked" kenpo and/or Ed Parker that all of the organizations would present a united front?

Do you think anything would/could change it? Why?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

kwanli (07-13-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (07-13-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: The Kenpo Crest & What It Means

The lettering to the right means Kenpo Karate; Law of the Fist and the Empty Hand.
    Actually the kanji on the patch says "tang hand" rather than "empty hand." I've never seen a Parker patch that says "empty hand."

But its from Infinite Insights so it must be correct....

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

I've never worn the patch, mostly because it tends to be an "IKKA patch" rather than a "kenpo patch," and I come from a Tracy lineage. 'Course I don't wear the Tracy patch either. To be honest I'm not into the whole kenpo patch happy thing, but thats just me, I prefer one small school patch, but thats just me.

I understand the symbolism behind the patch, but I suspect most people just put it on to match the other people in the school/assoc. Its a symbol, and maybe an ideal, but one thats pretty arcane for most people. If you really wanted something for most people to actually attain you should have a big smiley face meaning "be nice, be happy," and even then you'd wouldn't get everyone.

Lamont

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (07-13-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    I've never worn the patch, mostly because it tends to be an "IKKA patch" rather than a "kenpo patch," and I come from a Tracy lineage. 'Course I don't wear the Tracy patch either. To be honest I'm not into the whole kenpo patch happy thing, but thats just me, I prefer one small school patch, but thats just me.

I understand the symbolism behind the patch, but I suspect most people just put it on to match the other people in the school/assoc. Its a symbol, and maybe an ideal, but one thats pretty arcane for most people. If you really wanted something for most people to actually attain you should have a big smiley face meaning "be nice, be happy," and even then you'd wouldn't get everyone.

Lamont
    ROFL. I big smiley face kenpo patch? That may work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

snake_in_dragons_path (07-13-2007),Takai (07-13-2007)

Thanks

Now thats a patch I would wear, or at least put on my bag.

BTW you obviously have way too much time on your hands....

Lamont

~William Drummond

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (07-13-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Do you think that regardless of the bickering, splintering, and in-fighting that if another style or other source "picked on" or "attacked" kenpo and/or Ed Parker that all of the organizations would present a united front?
    What do you mean "If"? I've seen some of the traditional Okinawan karate-do people "pick on" Ed Parker and Kenpo. I just ignore it and move on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

I wear the Parker crest, I have since my first membership dues went to the IKKA, and I still wear it.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

For me it is just a Symbol of the past and part of Kenpo history. I now were my school patch on my gi top.

I do were the Kenpo Crest on my lead pant leg. Just a reminder that kenpo comes from a good solid base and the root of great techniqu is in the stances.
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-13-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    I've never worn the patch, mostly because it tends to be an "IKKA patch" rather than a "kenpo patch,"...
    This brings up a question that I've been having lately. How does the majority of kenpo practitioners view the original crest... as a symbol of the entire EPAK community, or more specifically as the IKKA patch? I would like to wear it, but since I'm not a member of any organization, I just wondered if wearing the original patch was saying something more than just "I represent Kenpo".
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domino3700 View Post
    This brings up a question that I've been having lately. How does the majority of kenpo practitioners view the original crest... as a symbol of the entire EPAK community, or more specifically as the IKKA patch? I would like to wear it, but since I'm not a member of any organization, I just wondered if wearing the original patch was saying something more than just "I represent Kenpo".
    I view it as a representation of holding to the ideals and principles orignally set forth by SGM Ed Parker.

If you believe in what he taught, and value his contributions then wear it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Lifespath (07-13-2007),Mikael151 (07-16-2007),RDCParker (07-13-2007)

Thanks

What Patch if any does your Instructors School wear?
    Also If your Instructors School is associated with any organization, it may be that theirs is the only patch that can be worn., As one who has worn the patch for 20 + years, and still wear it today. I say that if you are in a EPAK curriculum, then wear the patch. If their is an association that you may be part of that wears their own patch, then your decision to support them is shown buy wearing their patch.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (07-16-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: The Kenpo Crest & What It Means

i wear the standard ikka patch because that's what my first instructor had me stitch on there, and i really did take some of the meaning of that patch to heart. i think that some of the patches that have come out later are way more aesthetically pleasing, but i never felt the need to change. some of the patches i've seen lately look great but have the dragon & tiger at the same height, which undermines (to me) the most important meaning of the original. the tiger is looking up because a dragon is what we should all be aspiring to be (at a spiritual level, even moreso than skill level).

and i would Totally wear that patch, Celtic_Crippler!!!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1point21Jigowatts For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (07-17-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (07-14-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    What Patch if any does your Instructors School wear?
    Also If your Instructors School is associated with any organization, it may be that theirs is the only patch that can be worn., As one who has worn the patch for 20 + years, and still wear it today. I say that if you are in a EPAK curriculum, then wear the patch. If their is an association that you may be part of that wears their own patch, then your decision to support them is shown buy wearing their patch.
    Well we are definitely EPAK, but not a part of any organization. Only my instructor and one other student wear the original patch in class. At first I thought it was reserved for higher ranks, but then I asked my teacher about it and he said that he'd be happy to get me the patches. But I just wanted to hear how others view the patch, to help me better understand what I represent as I wear it.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks

Well we are definitely EPAK, but not a part of any organization. Only my instructor and one other student wear the original patch in class. At first I thought it was reserved for higher ranks, but then I asked my teacher about it and he said that he'd be happy to get me the patches. But I just wanted to hear how others view the patch, to help me better understand what I represent as I wear it.

It represents to us the art and memory of Mr. Parker and all those who have studied it before us. As we age those who wore the patch during the time of Mr. Parkes life will pass on as well. So it just becomes a part of tradition for those who choose to teach Mr. Parkers base curriculum as their foundation.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (07-16-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Thanks

Great topic, C.C. I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" this topic idea to post under the Mills forum. I think a lot of people would be surprised at the correlations of the original EP patch and the AKKI patch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I think there could be some debate here.

What behaviors are indicative of demonstrating humilty and self restraint? I don't think of this soley in terms of physical self restraint. I believe this references proper etiquette and good old fashioned manners as well.

I also view the statement concerning conflict to be a bit deeper than simple physical conflict. Many claim that kenpo is a "mental" martial art so I feel this applies to any and all conflicts as well.

If this is so, why is there so much bickering and in-fighting within our art? Why so much apparent ego?
    Some of my mates at work have scribbles of barely recognizable shapes with barely recognizable letters saying "Daddy" or "I love you". I could draw an abstract landscape and place a purple football in the center of the sky and call it the Sun.

Drawing a picture is easy.

But what the picture means really depends on the actions behind it. Does it represent ideals lost and forgotten? Does it represent concepts that died with the founder? Does it represent a living description of Kenpo? Its much easier to stitch on a patch than it is to live a set of demanding values. And clearly they are demanding...for if they were easy values to live, then everyone would be living them.

The meaning behind the Kenpo patch isn't in the picture, it's in the Kenpoists and how they live the values represented. If the Kenpoists do not live the values of the picture, then the picture is nothing but a fairy tale.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (07-17-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (07-17-2007),Mikael151 (07-18-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Some of my mates at work have scribbles of barely recognizable shapes with barely recognizable letters saying "Daddy" or "I love you". I could draw an abstract landscape and place a purple football in the center of the sky and call it the Sun.

Drawing a picture is easy.

But what the picture means really depends on the actions behind it. Does it represent ideals lost and forgotten? Does it represent concepts that died with the founder? Does it represent a living description of Kenpo? Its much easier to stitch on a patch than it is to live a set of demanding values. And clearly they are demanding...for if they were easy values to live, then everyone would be living them.

The meaning behind the Kenpo patch isn't in the picture, it's in the Kenpoists and how they live the values represented. If the Kenpoists do not live the values of the picture, then the picture is nothing but a fairy tale.
    Carol,

As always I find your depth of personal insight a blessing to me. You once again have allowed your heart to be displayed within your words,your beliefs, and character, shine between the lines of your response.

The concepts did not die with the founder,the ideas or not lost, but they may have been placed on the back burner to make way for the desires of a few. Remember that people and associations may let you down, but the art will not. Your right about how easy it is to stitch on a patch. However that patch is stitched to my clothing and not my heart. The one within my heart looks nothing like the IKKA Crest.

Thank you for your response
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Carol (07-17-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Carol,

As always I find your depth of personal insight a blessing to me. You once again have allowed your heart to be displayed within your words,your beliefs, and character, shine between the lines of your response.

The concepts did not die with the founder,the ideas or not lost, but they may have been placed on the back burner to make way for the desires of a few. Remember that people and associations may let you down, but the art will not. Your right about how easy it is to stitch on a patch. However that patch is stitched to my clothing and not my heart. The one within my heart looks nothing like the IKKA Crest.

Thank you for your response
    Mr. Marshall it is you, and others like you, that are the blessing. The art certainly generates its fair share of controversy which unfortuantely tends to garner most of the attention when discussing Kenpo. Under that glare are many folks that train hard, teach effectively, reach for their students, and make a difference in so many of our lives.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-18-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Mr. Marshall it is you, and others like you, that are the blessing. The art certainly generates its fair share of controversy which unfortuantely tends to garner most of the attention when discussing Kenpo. Under that glare are many folks that train hard, teach effectively, reach for their students, and make a difference in so many of our lives.

Not all of us share the same payoff form the art. Some look at it as a way to work- out, some use it for socialization, some use it for the control element they have over others. Their intrest in the art is a tailored as the method of execution of their material. Follow your heart and stand by your morals. The art will be here way after those who allow pride to rule their passion are gone.

Thank you for your kind words.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Carol (07-18-2007),Celtic_Crippler (07-18-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links