Thread: Stacking in Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Stacking in Kenpo

Greetings All,

Back in my massage therapy days I learned a concept called stacking, where we would use two or more healing modalities at the same time.

When practicing your self defense techniques do you use stacking? 3D strikes, Fitting, Circle Inwards, etc.

Also do you practice stacking when doing drills?

Which stacking concepts naturally work together?

Would you consider "intent" to be part of stacking?

Cheers.
    “Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.”

~Dali Lama

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Default Re: Stacking in Kenpo

I'm unfamiliar with the term, but we employ some of the methods you describe to our basic motion.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Are the things you're "stacking" actually kenpo principles? Most any given kenpo technique can use quite a few principles, and they're already working in conjunction with each other whether you know it or not. I pick the principles out of techniques to point out their practical use and illustrate their effectiveness, but as far as which concepts naturally gel together more than others, I haven't thought about it in a more abstract manner. Food for thought, thanks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sentinel For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (07-13-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Stacking in Kenpo

I concur with Sentinal.

(I know, big surprise, eh?)

Virtually all kenpo techniques, stack whether you are cognizant of it or not. The trick is, to identify what principals are being stacked in each and every technique to yield the most from that technique.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SifuDangeRuss For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (07-13-2007),Mikael151 (07-14-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Perhaps we don't fully understand the original post.

Many techniques combine principles like Back Up Mass, Tourque, Gravitational Marriage, Point of Origin, etc to exponentially increase the effectiveness of any given maneuver.

In fact, in my experience, it is rare that in any given circumstance that there is just one principle being applied by itself.

Could you elaborate more on what you mean by "stacking?"
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Hawke (03-14-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Stacking in Kenpo

My apologies for being unclear. Such is the life of a newb.

When we generate power we have back up mass, torque, marriage of gravity.

If possible we also apply borrowed force, guided collision, bounce (forgot the term for this...when you bounce off the biceps and hit the jaw).

I was thinking of other concepts that might stack with the above principles such as 3D strikes (to drop your opponent), moving inwards to get in closer (using deception), fitting (so the strikes line up nicely like a 45 degree punch to the ribs).

I was just wondering which concepts and principles naturally stack up nicely so you get the most bang for your buck.

Clear as mud? (my jazz instructor loved that phrase before we went across the floor).
    “Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.”

~Dali Lama

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

As I was sleeping I had an AH HA moment...hehe.

When doing a technique do you add anything beyond the usual? Like 3D Striking, Fitting, Bouncing, etc?

For instance in Lone Kimono you can add a bounce after you bring your arm down on your opponent's inside elbow (sort of an inside block to prevent butting heads) then bounce and strike the opponent's throat.

Or in other techniques instead of striking with just marriage of gravity, torque, back up mass, you also add fitting or 3D strike to add that extra "umph."

I am not talking about grafting or insertion, because you are still doing the regular technique. Your just adding an extra flavor that an outside observer will probably not notice, but your partner will definitely feel the difference. Then layering more concepts that were not originally in there before. After all that making sure that the movements are economically efficient.

Does this make any sense? Now I wish I had a digital camcorder to post. (I have to put this on my Christmas List for Santa).
    Last edited by Hawke; 07-14-2007 at 06:20 AM.

~Dali Lama

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
    As I was sleeping I had an AH HA moment...hehe.

When doing a technique do you add anything beyond the usual? Like 3D Striking, Fitting, Bouncing, etc?

For instance in Lone Kimono you can add a bounce after you bring your arm down on your opponent's inside elbow (sort of an inside block to prevent butting heads) then bounce and strike the opponent's throat.

Or in other techniques instead of striking with just marriage of gravity, torque, back up mass, you also add fitting or 3D strike to add that extra "umph."

I am not talking about grafting or insertion, because you are still doing the regular technique. Your just adding an extra flavor that an outside observer will probably not notice, but your partner will definitely feel the difference. Then layering more concepts that were not originally in there before. After all that making sure that the movements are economically efficient.

Does this make any sense? Now I wish I had a digital camcorder to post. (I have to put this on my Christmas List for Santa).
    Good stuff!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

I think I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure you'll get a great answer since it depends on what you're doing in any given technique. I believe you should 'add' every principle you can to all of your techniques as long as it's to increase their effectiveness without changing the basics being used. When you learn how a new principle works, I would recommend analyzing your techniques and applying the principle wherever you can. Thinking about different principles while you perform a technique at full speed and power is just going to rob you of focus however, so save that idea for when you're breaking techniques down and analyzing what makes them tick and how you can improve the way you apply them. In order for the principles to be effective, you need to build them into your techniques so that they happen on their own as a result of all of your practice. I sometimes like to emphasize a single principle that has wide technique application (such as Marriage of Gravity) when I'm in "performance mode", but no more than one at a time.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sentinel For This Useful Post:

Hawke (03-14-2008)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links