Thread: From the thread "Favorite yellow belt tech"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default From the thread "Favorite yellow belt tech"

It appears to me that some interesting concepts have been hit upon in this thread that would be considered by some well beyond "yellow belt."
    http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/showt...4280#post64280

Not that I'm one. I firmly believe that principles should be paramount at every stage of learning so I thought I would point some of them out for those that like to ponder and discuss.

So here are two that "jumped" out at me. How are these concepts taught, approached, or addressed by your instructors?

1) The "rebounding" mentioned seems akin to the BAM's that Doc teaches in SL-4. What is it's purpose? Is it explained to you? Ect, ect...

2) The "tear-drop" is only half of a figure 8/ininity symbol that signifies the motion used in many martial arts. Some martial arts have been based entirely on this motion! What is the signifigance of this motion? Ect, ect..
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: From the thread "Favorite yellow belt tech"

Are those "rhetorical questions"? lol!
    I think a lot of it has to do with us applying what we've learned to Yellow Belt techniques.
    It's amazing how far one can progress, and revisit the "beginner" stuff from a new perspective and find a goldmine of info that was passed over due to a lack of awareness!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

Brother John (07-12-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (07-12-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    It's amazing how far one can progress, and revisit the "beginner" stuff from a new perspective and find a goldmine of info that was passed over due to a lack of awareness!
    Progressive sophistication my brother!!! Keep diggin! Like the Praggo commercial used to say "It's IN there".
    It also reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from T.S. Eliot.
    We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of ALL our exploring will be to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time.
    T.S. Eliot
    That makes me think of what you've talked about here and what came up in the "Favorite Yellow Tech" thread...
    We fell in love with Kenpo while learning the yellows, then later.....like getting to know your wife better and better through the years of your marriage............you realize things about them that are deep; hidden in amongst even the simplest of gestures.
    I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) The "tear-drop" is only half of a figure 8/ininity symbol that signifies the motion used in many martial arts. Some martial arts have been based entirely on this motion! What is the signifigance of this motion?
    That's one of my favorite topics.
    Remember what Mr. Parker used to say, that Kenpo is about rounding off corners and elongating circles? There ya go. Figure-8's.

according to physics, when you take an object moving in a circle and shorten it's arc....you quadruple it's acceleration at the apex of that arc. Acceleration is the rate of change of an objects speed OR the rate of change in it's trajectory.
    So you're increasing your motion's acceleration when you whip what was a corner into a circle, and more so when you whip a circle into a shortened arc...aka; a tear-drop. It's why a yo-yo returns up the string!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (07-12-2007)

Thanks

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. More discussion on these concepts!

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    Remember what Mr. Parker used to say, that Kenpo is about rounding off corners and elongating circles? There ya go. Figure-8's.

according to physics, when you take an object moving in a circle and shorten it's arc....you quadruple it's acceleration at the apex of that arc. Acceleration is the rate of change of an objects speed OR the rate of change in it's trajectory.
    So you're increasing your motion's acceleration when you whip what was a corner into a circle, and more so when you whip a circle into a shortened arc...aka; a tear-drop. It's why a yo-yo returns up the string!

Your Brother
    John
    Now, can we get one of the SL-4 folks to chime in on the "rebounding?"

We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of ALL our exploring will be to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time.
    T.S. Eliot
    Or as Chuck Sullivan put it, "In the beginning, a punch is simply a punch. Then we focus and learn to practice the proper mechanics behind the punch until finally in the end, it is simply a punch again."

Any ya-hoo can throw a "punch." But a martial artist should be able to do it more efficiently and effectively. A martial artist should learn to put principles of physics and geometry to work for them in order to make the punch do it's job much better. After practicing "punching" repeatedly with these principles in mind, the execution of the "punch" again becomes second nature. Or, simply put, the punch is simply a punch again.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Brother John (07-12-2007),Mikael151 (07-12-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Or as Chuck Sullivan put it, "In the beginning, a punch is simply a punch. Then we focus and learn to practice the proper mechanics behind the punch until finally in the end, it is simply a punch again."
    That sounds a LOT like what Mr. Bruce Lee said:

Before I studied the art, a punch to me was just like a punch, a kick just like a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick no longer a kick. Now that I've understood the art, a punch is just like a punch, a kick just like a kick.
    can we get one of the SL-4 folks to chime in on the "rebounding?"
    I can't speak at all for Mr. Chapel or his group, but I know in the AKKI it's called "Elastic Recoil"....and is then broken down into external and internal elastic recoil.
    Should look in the AKKI/Paul Mills section.....it's broken down there in a FEW different threads.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    Progressive sophistication my brother!!! Keep diggin! Like the Praggo commercial used to say "It's IN there".
    It also reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from T.S. Eliot.

That makes me think of what you've talked about here and what came up in the "Favorite Yellow Tech" thread...
    We fell in love with Kenpo while learning the yellows, then later.....like getting to know your wife better and better through the years of your marriage............you realize things about them that are deep; hidden in amongst even the simplest of gestures.
    I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's one of my favorite topics.

Your Brother
    John
    Outstanding!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

Brother John (07-12-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John View Post
    That sounds a LOT like what Mr. Bruce Lee said:

Your Brother
    John
    Some truths are universal. It's actually the premise behind the IKCA's unique "salute".

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    1) The "rebounding" mentioned seems akin to the BAM's that Doc teaches in SL-4. What is it's purpose? Is it explained to you? Ect, ect...
    BAM's and PAM's aren't rebounds, but rebounding can be used to implement one, or off of one. Simple idea of the slap check: Firmly slapping the connective tissues over an active joint cause a momentary elevation in the tonicity of those tissues, improving the support function of those tissues. Stronger support for the joint permits greater force delivery from that kinematic chain, making for harder hits and more stable action.

A slap over the front of the shoulder joint of the right arm while throwing a right strike will allow you greater acceleration and joint protection. A slap over the side of the hip joint while stepping with that leg into a stance will attenuate the muscles bridging and girding that joint, and assist stabilizing that stance. Now, you may also rebound off of your slap check into a next strike. But that is not the purpose of the slap check; just a nice added bonus.

Additionally, the braced index position -- used a bit like a fighting stance in SL-4 with regards to hand positioning -- isn't there to facilitate a rebounding surface, but may be used as such. I try to relate it in kenpo-ese as saying, imagine using your rear-hand positioned check as the rebounding surface to send your lead hand back into action faster, and with closer proximity to the next target in a sequence. Assume Rt. NB, Rt. inward raking hammerfist. Allow it to continue through the opponent, taking a return path towards the front of your body, and you want to rebound off your chest into a rt. outward backnuckle. Instead of completing the path to your chest or letting the retunring arm wrap around your body for tension, put your left hand forward and away a bit from where you might position a check at the shoulder, and let the thumb side of the travelling right fist come to rest in the heel of the left palm, and rebound off of it. Slap check the right shoulder with the left hand when you backfist, and you'll get a nice sense of increased stability. There's also a good deal of power to be found there, due to the proprioceptive input to the nervous system coming from the rebound off the positioned check. To add experimentation with orbits, use a figure-8 pattern to initiate and guide an overall path to this movement. The inward raking hammerfist starts like a completed outward-extended block, with a downward-inward path on the 8, imagining the 8 sideways like an infinity symbol, and slightly warped around your body, with the crossing point of the circles centered at your opponents face. The circles can be short and shallow, or longer and deeper, or a combination of the two, depending on which side of the body each circle is on.

Actually, if you grok this successfully, you're into some of the higher end kenpo execution concepts, as they are used to determine movement that should be excellent and constant throughout techniques...remembering that kenpo isn't the choreography, but rather how one moves while executing the choreography.

That's not quite it, but should give you an idea of how some mechanisms can be used to assist others for multi-layered effects in delivery and effect.

Be good,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

DavidCC (07-13-2007),Mikael151 (07-12-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links