Thread: Kenpo, how splintered?????

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Kenpo, how splintered?????

Question:1.
    Just wondering if anyone has counted the various schools of Kenpo. That is, schools different from the Parker or Tracy system.
    I was going over the Family groupings of the Parker system, knowing that to make it work each belt needed 24 techniques, Hmm, me thinks what do schools do that have 16 or 18 techniques only.
    Question 2. Kenpo is kenpo and Ed Parker wanted His System to go with the flow, so to speak. Do you think he would be pleased with all the change Kenpo has under gone, all the different systems.

Kit

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo, how splintered?????

I think he would be pleased with the growth that Kenpo has made. I don't think he ever envisioned it to become as huge as it is. As to the changes,
    he always said Kenpo was a gasous state and would continue to change and grow. If you look at the amount of Kenpo schools around the world, don't you think he would have been thriled with Kenp's huge success?

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

Thanks

The motion taught in the technique is more important than the number of techniques.

We could argue that even 154 (6) base + 96 extensions boil down to just a few.

The 16 system from what I know of it teaches the same thing the 24 does they just finish at 5th black instead of 3rd.

I practice the 24 system and love it.

I think Mr. Parker would be pleased to see so many people passionate about the art he created. Changes ... well if they were valid and could prove why they were needed I think he would also accept it. Remember the Kenpo of the 50's was VERY different than the Kenpo of the 90's.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-12-2007),Mikael151 (07-10-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Not sure if your question is meant for all the kenpo styles, or just American variations. Either way, I think it would be a tall order to name them all. It would be interesting to see a list of all the different variants.

As far as the number of techniques per belt, I believe it works no matter what format you follow, the only difference is at what point you will know them all. If you in the 32-tech system then you'll learn them all by 1st black. 24-tech system, you'll know them all by 3rd black, and 16-tech will learn it all by 5th black.

I study in a 16-tech system (11 techs for yellow, 16 each for orange thru green, 20 each for all browns thru 1st black). I can appreciate how it's more of a "step-up" progressive method of learning, and I also like the idea that even after the day I achieve 1st black, I will still have plenty of material to learn for years to come.

As far as whether or not SGM Parker would be pleased with all the changes, I've never met the man, but from what others have told me about him, and from what I've read and what he himself has written and said, I would guess that he would be pleased with most of the changes and new theories that have come about. I think that he would be less than pleased at all of the fragmentation and politics that have come to be along with those changes.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kit View Post
    Question:1.
    Just wondering if anyone has counted the various schools of Kenpo. That is, schools different from the Parker or Tracy system.
    I think that since kenpo is such a uniquely individual thing, one would find as many different "schools" as there are people running them.

Quote Originally Posted by kit
    I was going over the Family groupings of the Parker system, knowing that to make it work each belt needed 24 techniques, Hmm, me thinks what do schools do that have 16 or 18 techniques only.
    This is an old debate. I hold that it's quality over quantity. It's not the number of techniques one "learns" that counts. It's whether or not one learns to apply the principle taught. When SGM Parker first started there were only 34 techniques in the entire system and they trained for years to perfect them.

Quote Originally Posted by kit
    Question 2. Kenpo is kenpo and Ed Parker wanted His System to go with the flow, so to speak. Do you think he would be pleased with all the change Kenpo has under gone, all the different systems.

Kit
    In all of his writings, SGM Parker endoresed and encouraged change. But I think it goes without saying that the change should be for the better and applicable to kenpo principles and what forms of fighting are prevelent on the street at the time.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

When SGM Parker first started there were only 34 techniques in the entire system and they trained for years to perfect them.
    What were they? Is there a write up of them?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links